IGNORED

What’s your turkey hunting style?

Buckmaster7600

What is everyone’s turkey hunting style? I’m a run and gunner. I hate sitting so unless I know there’s a bird very close I don’t do it for more than a few minutes. I travel very light with only a bino harness and a single diaphragm call. I hunt mostly mountain birds in the Adirondacks, New Hampshirite and Massachusetts. So I’m usually on big pieces of land with very low turkey numbers. 

I grew up hunting turkeys around agriculture and have grown very bored of it. I stopped hunting turkeys  for a few years then I rekindled my fire by only hunting them with a bow without a blind for a handful of years until I started finding huntable  populations in the Adirondacks. 

I definitely don’t follow the how to books but I’ve had enough success to make it fun doing it my way. I know a lot of turkey hunters enjoy the back and forth calling and I did too but to me it’s boring and I lack the patience.  I enjoy tricking them with woodman skills not calls. Although I have a bunch of options I still carry my old 870 youth 20ga and shoot lead pheasant loads out of an improved modified choke with a self imposed max range of 25yds. 

What’s everyone else’s preferred methods and gear for killing turkeys? 

57C4C87F-53F3-4AD8-B32E-7F2D3D7DDD17.jpeg

6D83333D-30B7-4143-9A13-A5AED98195A4.jpeg

I know where they are going to roost on the properties I hunt and neighboring properties I can't hunt. A good portion of those roosting on properties I can hunt, fly down onto ones I can't.  So calling and patience is key.  I use several different diaphragm calls and might carry a glass or slate.  

Books are pretty much useless, except for the most basic hunting or scouting methods IMO.  Every scenario is different, and books can't control that. Experience is the best teacher.  

Killing any turkey is relatively easy, killing a certain, or older turkey is what I go after.  I usually only kill one, then help others get their first bird.  

Last yrs bird.  

IMG_20220501_055156163_HDR.jpg

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

I know where they are going to roost on the properties I hunt and neighboring properties I can't hunt. A good portion of those roosting on properties I can hunt, fly down onto ones I can't.  So calling and patience is key.  I use several different diaphragm calls and might carry a glass or slate.  

Books are pretty much useless, except for the most basic hunting or scouting methods IMO.  Every scenario is different, and books can't control that. Experience is the best teacher.  

Killing any turkey is relatively easy, killing a certain, or older turkey is what I go after.  I usually only kill one, then help others get their first bird.  

Last yrs bird.  

IMG_20220501_055156163_HDR.jpg

Who got shot, you or the turkey?  How ‘bout a smile? 😀

I love to run and gun when I can, but pressure often means sitting tight and making them come to me. 

31E50504-081E-4CE6-BC82-53D166193D39.png

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Unless I know there's absolutely nothing in the area or haven't scouted, I like to sit about 150 yards from where I know there's a roost and play the back and forth calling game. I think it's fun as hell, even if I don't bag a bird. 

Other than that I'll run and gun every 45 minutes since New York sucks during spring and we only have until noon

Palma non sine pulvere 

When,I Turkey Hunt Alone,I am on the move- Reflecting- formulating maneuvers.  I absolutely  Hate to Sit for more then 20 Minutes. I stay in The best shape,I can so,I can make Long fast moves if,I need to. I can move like a Ninja when alone. I Roll my feet over small Limbs to avoid Cracking too many.

I look closely  to see if other Turkey Scouters have been about. On Public/ MUAs,I absolutely  try to Out Think the next Man. 

I go in with 4 Callers Minumum. I use Long Boxes, medium and Short Boxes and Pots.  Sometimes Wingbones/ Yelpers. I can use my natural voice as a finisher forming the words Yelp and Whit- Whit in the Voice Box in my Neck.

I don't use Horseshoe/ Mouth Diaphragms.  That seems to be the call of choice in my Neighborhood  and ,I want to sound different  from what the last Man poured out on a Pressured  Bird. It is part of Adapting on Public.

Turkey Numbers are Fairly Strong in my area of New York. Nothing like 1995- to around 2015 though when,I would Kill 4 Birds in New York every year.

Turkey Numbers are very Low in the North New Jersey Mts. That is why,I am out Scouting early- today in fact. If,I get 1 Gobbler in Jersey this Spring- that will be an accomplishment. 

Now when,I hunt with another person, I am not as good and will hunt more Slowly and Sit more and Longer.

My Brother  in law Mark would only go out with me in his later years. He got 1st dibs on a Turkey.

I took Jeannine out for 3 Springs. She got 1st dibs also on a called up Big Bird.  She Spooked a Bunch. 

Last 3 Years with good friend Cynthia . She is up to 3 Gobblers including a 26.1lb. Monster of a Gobbler last Spring.  She is an expert Ground Deer Hunter before getting into Turkey Hunting- so her Skills are way up there. 

I actually made eye contact with that 26lber and Spooked him . On a access road- Cynthia  figured with all the deep water near- the Tom had to be close and sent me back in to where he was standing when,I made eye contact. I walked in there and that Sly ol Big Boy hopped out in front of Cynthia who made the Kill.

This year we will hunt further away from each other by a 1/4 mile or so for the first 2 hours or so. Her calling is good now.

Can't  Wait!!

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

My style is sit til 8 , get pissed I got up so early , go home.

I gave up on the getting out early thing a long time ago! 4 am wakeups are for salmon fishing definitely not for chasing a stupid bird! 730-8 is when I like to get in the woods! The only exception is if I’m traveling and trying to make the most of my time.

My style is pretty basic.....get out in the woods before first light and hopefully hear a gobbler sound off. When I do , I try to cut the distance between us to under 100 yards. Then I find a decent size tree to sit up against. Now the waiting game begins. I'll start with some subtle calls and sit motionless. Sometimes they run right in and get shot and other times they hang up or are with hens. I'll wait him out if I have to.... I'm in no hurry.  He knows exactly where I'm calling from. I'll wait all morning for him to get show up if I have to. When he gets lonely , he'll remember where I was calling from. But most times he'll come in silently. This is when the 3 P's pay off..........Patience, Persistence and Perseverance. This strategy works pretty good for me especially the first week of the season.

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I gave up on the getting out early thing a long time ago! 4 am wakeups are for salmon fishing definitely not for chasing a stupid bird! 730-8 is when I like to get in the woods! The only exception is if I’m traveling and trying to make the most of my time.

Good thing,I am a Morning Person. I try to Park before 4am. I rarely hunt past 10am. Sometimes,I will try a 2nd area to 12 noon after resting up.

I still have never Roosted a Gobbler.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

I runned and gunned for many, many years....I would always be in   a likely spot before daylight to listen for roost gobbles... I always felt lucky to be somewhere on top of a ridge listening to the woods wake up thinking about the other poor a**holes who were sleeping and missing all that... If I didn't get something going off the roost, I'd start walking and calling, ridges, hollows, woods roads and often cover 5 or more miles in a morning's hunt...Killed many gobblers doing that...

Now that I am old feeble and don't have the legs to run and gun anymore, I sit in a popup blind  put out a couple of decoys and call....One advantage of hunting this way is that I often see birds well out of range and get to watch thier reaction to my calling...Back when I was ridge running, I seldom saw a gobbler until he was in gun range, usually because I usually set up that way intentionally...

I was taught to roost birds and i have gotten very good at it.  I either get  them at fly down or try another day.

Private land does not lend to chasing a bird around all morning as i feel it just educates them.

Large acreage i use to run and gun in the 90s.  Much easier to find birds evening before and sneak in close in the dark. No lights. 

I have even cleared a paths to a tree close to birds i could not get close enough to a few times at middday. Knowing they will return to roost same spot as they wernt chased around all day.  That has proved to be down fall of many older birds.  Clearing 200 yards of leaves so you can sneek in quiet is not for everyone  let alone finding it in the dark and staying on it.