Jump to content
IGNORED

I Want A New Choke Tube


DirtTime

Recommended Posts

I think I want to pick up a turkey choke tube for my Savage 320. I want to keep the cost around $30-40 so I'm looking at the Hunter Specialties Strut or the basic Carlsons turkey.

I like tormenting myself so I'm asking all you wonderful ladies and gentlemen (<---that's a joke for those who don't get dry humor) which you'd go with of these two.

Edited by DirtTime

I don't feed trolls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All I have left is the modified choke that came with the 320 and for turkey, it's too open. I had a 301 with the extra full tube, and that choke worked better on the 320 than it did on the 301. So, I'm looking to go with something a bit tighter than a basic full seeing it's also a 20GA.

 

I don't feed trolls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rock a puregold. Really popular on the oldgobbler forum back when I started to get into turkey. They're not cheap but offer an aggressive pattern if you're after one.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shooting Winchester Double X #4 3" loads. I actually sent an email to Savage asking if there was a way to buy just the choke that comes with the 301 turkey special.

 

The Carlsons tube is made of steel. The HS Strut is a chrome-moly aircraft grade alloy. Odd, I was looking and for some reason, on Amazon, it says the material is plastic- I think that's a typo. 

I don't feed trolls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DirtTime said:

Shooting Winchester Double X #4 3" loads. I actually sent an email to Savage asking if there was a way to buy just the choke that comes with the 301 turkey special.

 

The Carlsons tube is made of steel. The HS Strut is a chrome-moly aircraft grade alloy. Odd, I was looking and for some reason, on Amazon, it says the material is plastic- I think that's a typo. 

#4 is a little big for a 20g.  I'd go with 5's or 6's  to gain more pellets.  But if you've got a lot of the 4's I'd definitely try those first.  

With the larger 4s, I'd go with a .570. anything tighter, and the pattern might suffer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mowin said:

#4 is a little big for a 20g.  I'd go with 5's or 6's  to gain more pellets.  But if you've got a lot of the 4's I'd definitely try those first.  

With the larger 4s, I'd go with a .570. anything tighter, and the pattern might suffer. 

The #4's pattern is great from the shotgun with that special choke, so I'm guessing a run-of-the-mill extra full choke would be close. I should have kept the choke from the 301 when it was traded.

 

 

 

I'm leaning toward the HS Strut. 

I don't feed trolls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i was gonna give you a couple because we're closer but they'd be for a 12ga not 20ga. you might not be able to easily find the constriction when you're shopping around. patterns were tight but never even until i started using either PureGold or Indian Creek. longer tubes. with #4 shot you don't want an uneven pattern because you don't have much shot there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

The #4's pattern is great from the shotgun with that special choke, so I'm guessing a run-of-the-mill extra full choke would be close. I should have kept the choke from the 301 when it was traded.

 

 

 

I'm leaning toward the HS Strut. 

Funny thing is you can have two guns exactly the same, and toss the same load out of them and have two completely different results, lol.  

The HS is a good choice.  I shoot a primos jellyhead out of my 12g. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, NYRturkeycall said:

I had an undertaker choke on my stoeger m2000. Patterned real good and tight with Winchester super X 3-in number 5 I believe. I've since moved on to a Winchester SXP that includes the extra full choke. Haven't patterned it out yet though

Ah, experience. I am seriously leaning toward that choke.

 

 

 

I suppose I might have to see what I can find for ammo in #5 or #6. I'm not going to like buying ammo in this state, it's violating my boycott. Since I have to be in the area of a couple of shops over the weekend I'll look anyway.

I don't feed trolls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Ah, experience. I am seriously leaning toward that choke.

 

 

 

I suppose I might have to see what I can find for ammo in #5 or #6. I'm not going to like buying ammo in this state, it's violating my boycott. Since I have to be in the area of a couple of shops over the weekend I'll look anyway.

If you have a good amount of 4's left, I'd go with a .570. no tighter.  It might work out fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...