IGNORED

Kuiu Sizing

phade

I have been wanting to find a new mid season suit for treestand hunting this year. I have Sitka Stratus and Fanatic lines. They’re worth every penny IMO. But there is a weird gap in between them where it’s too cool for one and not cold enough for the other. Hard to explain but Sitka has tried to fill it with Fanatic Lite - which wasn’t good from all reviews. I make do with the Stratus and Fanatic vest combo. I end up layering more than I prefer. The Fanatic is also not great in cold rain since it soaks up stuff. I’d take 15 and snow over 37 and light rain…

Anyhow, the Proximity line seemed like the perfect match. I tried on the suit at Harrisburg. Hurried scenario with so many people. Got what felt like a good fit. Had to order the stuff for delivery since none on hand. I also ordered several tops and a pair of gloves a week later. I got the Proximity suit last week. Pants seemed fine but the jacket felt a touch too small all of a sudden. I let it sit for the week since I had a busy work schedule and planned to revisit.

Order for the various fleece hoodies and gloves came in this morning and holy heck their sizing on tops is weird. Short and lean in shoulders. I’m solidly XL in nearly every single clothing piece and L gloves for the most part. I looked like Chris Farley trying on this stuff. I need XXL and I bet it ends up being long in arms.

Cant say I’m as impressed for the $ spend, not just on fit, but the value and design features. They seem much more leaned out - stitching, logo material on the hoodies, and much fewer usable pockets. The Proximity seems comfortable feeling but it definitely comes across much too cheap for the $7-800 I dropped on the full set. For me, what I get, is it’s a western hunting company that didn’t buy into whitetail stand hunting, fully as a market. It’s going back. 

Camo patterns look good though. I also bought their Venture Divide 3000 pack and I think it’ll work well to serve as a day pack Nov-Jan. Big enough to fit my Fanatic set and other gear.

Edited by phade

The KUIU sizing definitely runs like a slim fit trim suit. I wear the attack pants and the jacket i think is the guide? I wear them all of bow season unless it's a frigid day. In early october i wear them with simply boxers and a t shirt under. As it gets colder I wear them with old UA 2.0 base layer and in december bow hunts, i've worn them with old UA 4.0 base layer underneath AND sitka base layer too. Or sometimes old khaki colored goretex pants. For the bow id rather wear heavy baselayers and light coat. I hate the cold. For the gun, where i don't care about bulk i wear my old whitetail extreme pants and jacket from Cabelas. 

Theres not much the sitka stratus cant do with proper layering.. same with the fanatic... only thing they suck at is any type of precip.. its hard to beat the incinerator in any type of cold precip... warmer early season ill wear the thunderhead jacket and pants if i know ill be sitting in the rain... the proximity does interest me as well but havent put my hands on any to see if it would fit into the rotation of what i got now

12 hours ago, Chromeslayer said:

Theres not much the sitka stratus cant do with proper layering.. same with the fanatic... only thing they suck at is any type of precip.. its hard to beat the incinerator in any type of cold precip... warmer early season ill wear the thunderhead jacket and pants if i know ill be sitting in the rain... the proximity does interest me as well but havent put my hands on any to see if it would fit into the rotation of what i got now

I’ve had Stratus and Fanatic sets for quite a long time now, but the Stratus set gets dicey in the lower range where layering should work. I’ve worn every combo and still end up cold in specific spots like the lower legs and arms or end up limiting mobility layer wise which is a much bigger factor in archery season. But yes the precip is a major factor, too. If I have colder temps and some precip I rely on an older soft shell suede Gander Mountain brand jacket and bibs. Incinerator line has been on the radar but so many ppl complain about the noise of the material which is a bigger issue in late season. I’ve had days where the Fanatic ends up weight like 10 points more because of the precip lol.

The proximity line is exactly what I’m looking for - if you get your hands on it I think you’ll see what I mean about gapping between Stratus and Fanatic. The problem to me is the more awkward sizing fit, but also some lack of design features. I would like to see thing like the kangaroo design, more purposeful bibs vs the pants and suspenders, or a longer tail on jacket to cover the rear. OR to be honest, having price reflect that not being there. 

Edited by phade

I know alota guys say or complain the incinerator is noisy but its not a fleece or wool piece so there will be some noise... iv taken deer while wearing mine during bow ans no issues for me and wouldnt overlook it if you wanted a waterproof suit... as for sizing i think sitka is alil all over the place to.. atleast for me.. i usually order my normal size and the next size up at the same time and return rhe one that dont fit right.. will prolly do the same with the proximity when i get the urge to give it a go