IGNORED

Fruit tree damage question

I have a plum tree in the picture attached with damage. What could cause this? Will the tree make it? And would a grow tube prevent this? I'm cheating a little because this tree is in my garden and not for deer but I would love any insight.

I did purchase grow tubes for the crab apple trees for my hunting property this year.

20230227_162601.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Ya know I didn't even think about this but it may have been rubbed last year before the permanent garden fence was installed.  My memory isn't well enough to remember when I noticed the damage. 

I don't think this is the cause but it remains a possibility. 

Thanks for all the input guys.

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Looks like a healed over buck rub. 

I was going to say the same thing, but the pic shows a fence and OP said he cheated because it was in a garden area.  

I've planted 100's of trees for clients over the years, and I've seen that same damage from young bucks rubbing velvet off. 

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I was going to say the same thing, but the pic shows a fence and OP said he cheated because it was in a garden area.  

I've planted 100's of trees for clients over the years, and I've seen that same damage from young bucks rubbing velvet off. 

Agreed. We plant thousands of native trees and shrubs along our river restoration sites each year, and the ones we forget to put a tree tube over get rubbed every time. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board