IGNORED

Do you use decoys?

mowin

When I first started turkey hunting, I used deeks often.  Never found them to be very effective, and often had tom's spook or get nervous once they spotted the deeks.  I also hate dragging them around.  Good friend purchased the Avain-X deeks and wow are those expensive. They look fantastic, but trying to carry 3 of these plus a gun has to be a PITA.  I sometimes carry a fan, but for the most part I go deek-less. 

Did have a hen come strutting into a deek, and give it a good kick.  She stuck around for 15min making a racket, but never dragged up a tom. 

I'm no expert turkey hunter.  But, i've been using Avian X dekes and i'm a fan.  I have two hens and a jake, but usually only carry a single hen.  I can't say that the Toms i've killed came in because of the deke, or the calling.  I've never had one hang up and look like the deke freaked him out.  I have shot a few before they came all the way in to the deke- wasn't sure if they would hang up.  I set the deke up about 20 yards out in case they do hang up.  With Longbeard XR and the Carlson choke, i've had no trouble killing birds at 60 yards.  The Avian deke deflates and fits into my pack without much trouble.

With you spooked way more with decoys vs not having them. But im  a woods / roost hunter.  Birds show up in range and cant see a decoy from.far away.. maybe they work in fields??  For me  personally i have about 5 collecting dust  in the barn..  a couple of pull  string motion decoys . Feather flex on post. And even one on a track that struts back n forth..   useless imo.

I use a Decoy less then 10% of the time. I upgraded to the Grind/Feeding Hen which goes for 70 Bucks or so. About 50 less then the Avian x. 

I have shot maybe 4 Toms that came to the Decoy including a 23lber that came in with 2 Hens and 5 Jake's to a Feather Flex that,I painted Orange. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Rarely anymore, When they don't move, or move too fast/quick with a wind burst.. your hunts done. They also attract the deer we don't want near us. They will typically bring in the hens but ole Tom is too stubborn to follow most times it seems. I may use a lone feeding hen on occasion, and at times a funky chicken jake deek, that elongated neck can really piss off a LB. But typically, no deeks,  I  just scratch the leaves and purr/cluck him in, with patience 

starting out i never used them. then running and gunning I used a single upright hen for a while. lone feeding hen seemed to make them hang up and my thought is that head down feeding they aren't staying in one spot.  upright i've seen a hen post up and make noise. now i'm mostly hunting from blinds with kids so i have with any of a few different combos. triangle spread with full strut jake, jake with a lone submissive bedded hen, etc. i just have some brand of rubber molded and painted dekes where i touched up eyes and stuff to make them more realistic. can't be throwing out some cheap AF, foam, bent, decoys expecting great results.

I've had mixed results with them as well. Seems to help if hunting a field edge. I have 3 avian x dekes and they do look great but I think when they're just sitting still it can throw a Tom off. Unless he's real fired up. Running and gunning in the woods is so much more fun though! Would probably be more fun if I was actually good at calling! 

My experience has been different than many here. I often use them, and my typical setup is two hens and a Jake. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a Tom or hens react negatively when first seeing them. The last bird I shot was trying to mate with an old, bent, Cabelas hen decoy. 

If I’m running and gunning, I’m less likely to use them. But I also spend a lot of time sitting over my decoys in a stationary position.  I’m mostly hunting big open hardwood forests and often place my dekes on a logging road. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Nope. I never liked the idea of using one in the woods on public land, and I already have to tote enough crap for turkey hunting.

I was at Walmart in Catskill yesterday and they had dekes for $18. I thought about picking one up and giving it a whirl. Instead, I picked up another pot call in glass. I didn't need that either but at least it's small.

I don't feed trolls.

My dad placed a hen and jake outside his blind towards the end of last season and promptly fell asleep only to be woken up to the ruckus of a tom attacking the jake decoy.  Obviously no calling involved so something got the tom's attention.  I guess if you're sitting in a blind, why wouldn't you use one?  I prefer to run around over calling and disturbing the woods, so no need for the extra luggage. 

2 hours ago, GR HUNTER said:

My dad placed a hen and jake outside his blind towards the end of last season and promptly fell asleep only to be woken up to the ruckus of a tom attacking the jake decoy.  Obviously no calling involved so something got the tom's attention.  I guess if you're sitting in a blind, why wouldn't you use one?  I prefer to run around over calling and disturbing the woods, so no need for the extra luggage. 

Your last sentence  is epic! 95% of the time,I too Run Around most of the Time. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge.