IGNORED

Hunting Property Purchase

phade

Picking up from old place.

Cliff notes: I’m hunting to buy hunting property and for an asset vehicle. I have cash on hand but also a quality line of credit from FCS should I deem that better. I am looking into wNY as well as Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, and potentially Indiana / Illinois. IN and IL lower on list due to competing season dates. I am also very open to acreage as I’m more focused on the right piece of ground as opposed to size.

Update:

I am on month 6 of this journey. It’s wearing on me. Interest rates have continued to climb yet price flexibility has not. 

Last week I found a 20 acre piece really underpriced in Missouri. I just happen to know that local area well and have a reliable hunter who farms a neighboring property. He gave it immediate two thumbs up. Parcel got split off of a house estate and was wooded with a two creek bottoms and two places for plots totaling just under 1.5 acres. Hunts well for access and there is a history of that spot producing mature bucks. Our lease is within a short drive.

I located it that day of being released to market. I placed the asking offer within hours and ended up losing out to someone less than 30 minutes prior with an accepted cash offer. Argggggh.

WNY has been a complete dud so far. The taxes and acreage price are insane compared to options in much better hunting states.

Ohio has really inflated prices lately - the whitetail specific realtors have come out of the woodwork driving up per acre pricing in past 6 mos. 30-40 acres going for 120-200K. You see a decent 50-100 and you’re well past a quarter million. 

Kentucky can be some gems but it’s really hard to dial in on the right areas without more local knowledge. Big deer come from across the state so it’s hard to know if you’re in the money or not. I also don’t know if I like the OBR for being that far of a drive. Ohio is three hours away. Missouri - I can punch two buck tags in a season and split bow-gun time.

The search continues…

Edited by phade

NY is so expensive compared to other areas it really sucks. I just missed out on a house with 34 acres that bordered stateland.  It has been two months and I still look it up on zillow lol. 

Good luck im sure things will fall into place for you!

2 hours ago, phade said:

Picking up from old place.

Cliff notes: I’m hunting to buy hunting property and for an asset vehicle. I have cash on hand but also a quality line of credit from FCS should I deem that better. I am looking into wNY as well as Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, and potentially Indiana / Illinois. IN and IL lower on list due to competing season dates. I am also very open to acreage as I’m more focused on the right piece of ground as opposed to size.

Update:

I am on month 6 of this journey. It’s wearing on me. Interest rates have continued to climb yet price flexibility has not. 

Last week I found a 20 acre piece really underpriced in Missouri. I just happen to know that local area well and have a reliable hunter who farms a neighboring property. He gave it immediate two thumbs up. Parcel got split off of a house estate and was wooded with a two creek bottoms and two places for plots totaling just under 1.5 acres. Hunts well for access and there is a history of that spot producing mature bucks. Our lease is within a short drive.

I located it that day of being released to market. I placed the asking offer within hours and ended up losing out to someone less than 30 minutes prior with an accepted cash offer. Argggggh.

WNY has been a complete dud so far. The taxes and acreage price are insane compared to options in much better hunting states.

Ohio has really inflated prices lately - the whitetail specific realtors have come out of the woodwork driving up per acre pricing in past 6 mos. 30-40 acres going for 120-200K. You see a decent 50-100 and you’re well past a quarter million. 

Kentucky can be some gems but it’s really hard to dial in on the right areas without more local knowledge. Big deer come from across the state so it’s hard to know if you’re in the money or not. I also don’t know if I like the OBR for being that far of a drive. Ohio is three hours away. Missouri - I can punch two buck tags in a season and split bow-gun time.

The search continues…

It’s hard to believe rising rate’s haven’t yet drove down prices. It has to tip at some point?! You cant have the cake and eat it too. 
I always keep up on the real estate market in our town. House came up similar to ours, less sq and land and the place sold in days for WAY more than what we paid for our place. 
With high property taxes I cant see the value to buy around here unless you make such stupid money it doesn’t matter. 
With your wife hanging up at home daycare (mine did the same during covid) I’d only look outta state. NY doesn’t have anything to offer but inflated prices and taxes.

Sorry about my rant!! I think we’re on the 4yr plan then we’re outta here. I can save ten of thousands a yr in NY taxes alone, real money!

Best of luck in your search, @phade

It’s always fascinating to me how we each have our own perceptions. Several of you complaining that NY is wildly expensive to buy hunting land. And it is, compared to much of the Midwest.

My best friend bought 112 acres with a house and huge, detached garage near Cooperstown for about $220,000 in late ‘21. Take that farm and drop it in western NJ farm country and the price goes to $2.5 - $4 million. So we think a $220k farm with house is almost free. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Just curious what you are seeing really nice hunting land go for in WNY?   I often wonder what my place is worth and seldom see "similar" property sell in the area...   I am between mount Morris and Nunda, just east of the park, 50 minutes from downtown Rochester...    115-acre large rectangle with 6000 feet+ of road frontage on 2 roads and Ag all around...   Old farm, so good mix of woods, open fields and thickets (55 woods, 25 open, 35 thick cover)...    I figure $2500 to $3000 per acre, but that is an uneducated guess...   again, just curious...

54 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Just curious what you are seeing really nice hunting land go for in WNY?   I often wonder what my place is worth and seldom see "similar" property sell in the area...   I am between mount Morris and Nunda, just east of the park, 50 minutes from downtown Rochester...    115-acre large rectangle with 6000 feet+ of road frontage on 2 roads and Ag all around...   Old farm, so good mix of woods, open fields and thickets (55 woods, 25 open, 35 thick cover)...    I figure $2500 to $3000 per acre, but that is an uneducated guess...   again, just curious...

Id have to imagine thats in the ball park with that mix.
One of my clients bought more farm land east of Can lake and it was WAY more than 2500-3000’ like more than double that. 

8 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Down there possibly in the range you listed but I’m more focused on the area north.

I had a 19 acre piece I really liked for hunting that was bordered by a known generational farm that isn’t going anywhere and they are hunters, who go after bigger bucks. Hunted well, access was primo. Sold in 48 hours with offer after offer…sold for 6k per acre. Taxes 7k per year.

30 acres with half ag, 5.5K per acre. 110 piece 5K. At that price and following tax rate you can get prime ground in other states. Rare to find 50-ish acre pieces in this area too. 

Price  goes down further south of Geneseo but finding great ground is rarer. 

thanks for the input guys...   Livingston County taxes are not reasonable by any stretch...   My taxes are up over $8k now..   I have a cabin which increases the value but I know people that have $1m houses in other states that don't pay half of that..   Especially now that you can't deduct on tax return..   brutal..

I'm already going to likely inherit a land here in NY. taxes are really high and price per acre isn't lower to offset it. i was just looking at undeveloped property in Minnesota. Not really driveable from here in NY but land was cheaper per acre in a county you never here about for big deer. If you look at B&C record book it has more entries than anything here in ny. gotta get away from the whitetail destination outfitter heavy states and those with lots of development like the northeast. just my thoughts.

Fwiw , I had our farm  land appraised by a certified Ag appraiser . $5400 an acre. He looks at many things crop yield , drainage ,access,size ,shape and on and on . Ontario county , Ag exemption so taxes  about $2500 on 120 acres .

Most ag land never even gets listed around here .

I realize this is not hunting land, but just for a comparison .

I'm constantly looking for reasonable deals on recreational land, as well.  Mostly focused on NY but a buddy or mine has convinced me to start looking in OH as well.  The OH prices range from completely outrageous to almost something I could swallow.  I did pick up another 35+ acres in Steuben County recently for a per acre price that I never would have considered 3 or 4 years ago.  But it's a good piece that I've hunted for 10+ years and I just couldn't bring myself to let it go.

Anyway, I think there are still some deals to be had.  I prefer to stick in NY because I'd rather drive an hour or two to be at my property than 7-8 hours.  Even with the higher taxes, it's worth it to me as I will actually use it more than parcels that are farther away.