IGNORED

Under kitchen sink reverse osmosis water filter

nywaw

17 hours ago, The Back 40 said:

If your water was fine before you had work done there probably is an issue related to the new equipment or something was "stirred up". 

But, if you can resolve the issue and hate the sulfur an RO system will work. We have all kinds of issues with our water and I have an entire wall of my basement covered in tanks and softeners and we still get the sulfur smell. The RO takes out the smell (and everything else) and the water tastes great. We have a Pure Blue under the sink system and use it for drinking and cooking. we have noticed a significant reduction in rust, stains and film on our cookware. 

Next year they are supposed to be installing public water out here so hopefully we will be able to get rid of some of the crazy water system in the basement and only use the well for our outside spigots and the barn (and a backup).

I think that if the local town we live in were to install Public Water I would still keep the two Whole House Filters I mentioned .... ya never know !

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

I think that if the local town we live in were to install Public Water I would still keep the two Whole House Filters I mentioned .... ya never know !

I plan on keeping the RO system for our drinking water, I like the fact that it takes out almost everything in the water. I plan on getting the public water tested after we get it installed and I may keep the softener if necessary. I also plan on replacing our old waterlines with PEX for a few reasons.

Our current water system is a royal PITA. We have a pre-filter, a 300 gal mixing tank, a 15 gal bleach solution tank, a stenner pump, a FAB tank, a softener tank, and the 35 gal salt tank. The water lines run back and forth and look like a mess and servicing all of it is not cheap. 

I'm probably looking forward to the public water more than a normal person would, but I have a thing about clean, organized installations with proper shut-offs.

i've got just one whole house filter. I think a good low micron or carbon filter eliminates a lot of organic and particulate content. i can't see a reason to have more than one. most don't change their filter as much as they should anyway. myself included. there's still a couple broke water softeners in the boiler room i need to get rid of from the previous owners.

my parent's farm has a well with a crazy carbon filtration system in it for PFOA. they drink bottled water but honestly that stuff is clean. they're pretty high up from sources too so when tested by the state and DEC for mitigation and remediation they only came in at 19 ppt before the filtration system was put in.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, nywaw said:

FWIW, something that I came across today on my feed that is resulting in a lot of lawsuits here in NJ is related to these "forever chemicals" in city/municipal water.  You may not want to get rid of a filter system.  I honestly don't know much about it all, but on paper it doesn't sound good.  I love well water (once it's been softened/purified per the conditions of it).  

https://6abc.com/drinking-water-new-jersey-standards-forever-chemicals-pfas/12921801/

You’re not far from me and we do have a  high sulfur content . I have a softener system and installed the following in my HW heater . It eliminated the sulfur smell in my hot water within 12 hours …. That was almost 1-1/2 years ago when I first moved in. Buy it you’ll thank me later .

E7D8DF28-ADB7-4BA4-9F07-941179A2BEBE.jpeg

9 minutes ago, 2BuckBizCT said:

I’ve always heard whole house water filters are the way to go. Filter it as soon as it hits your house. You can also have your water tested and see the difference, etc. the fridge has an extra filter but I drink out of all my faucets kitchen/bath/etc.

I'm contemplating adding a whole house filter versus just an RO unit for the kitchen sink.  My water softener is 18 years old now and the water testing company I had review it the other day said it's not using as much salt as they would expect and that could be influencing the sulfur smell that developed.  So might be time to replace it versus trying to repair it and sinking the money into chasing down a problem or fixing it only for another to pop up.