IGNORED

Suv owners

sbuff

Wife wants to trade in her 2020 Honda pilot , we love the new body style . But she also wants to test drive the 23 Nissan Pathfinder and 23 VW atlas.. Any thoughts on those two compared to the new pilots .

I'm driving her old 2011 Honda pilot with 123k of trouble free miles . 

Last fall I sold my 06 Nissan Frontier, with 230k miles on it. Original motor, and transmission and driveline. Just did the normal upkeep and maintenance on it. Still ran strong to the day I sold it. Body was a bit rusty. The Pathfinder and Frontier are the same foundation. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

Last fall I sold my 06 Nissan Frontier, with 230k miles on it. Original motor, and transmission and driveline. Just did the normal upkeep and maintenance on it. Still ran strong to the day I sold it. Body was a bit rusty. The Pathfinder and Frontier are the same foundation. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Not all Nissan in 06 had the CVT.  There have been several class action lawsuit against them.  Last one was in 2021. 

The VW can tic a lot of boxes. One knock on VW products is their dash/navigation/info computer and its lack of intuitive use. Made me shy away from a VW product and back to Toyota. Not always a deal breaker but something to consider. Wasn’t my only issue; but VW seems to be effected by logistic issues more then other makes, they couldn’t even ball park availability of a vehicle I was interested in. A year or TWO wasn’t a very good answer.

As far as Cvt transmission,  I’ve never had an issue , and if I do I’m covered for ten years .

People like what they’re familiar with, I can remember guys making fun of automatic transmissions, now try to find a manual one .

Unibody , same thing .

I knew Harley guys upset they no longer came with a kick start! I know one who added one to his bike . I said ya I’m going to add a crank to the front of my car . 

The only constant in life ,is change .

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

As far as Cvt transmission,  I’ve never had an issue , and if I do I’m covered for ten years .

People like what they’re familiar with, I can remember guys making fun of automatic transmissions, now try to find a manual one .

Unibody , same thing .

I knew Harley guys upset they no longer came with a kick start! I know one who added one to his bike . I said ya I’m going to add a crank to the front of my car . 

The only constant in life ,is change .

I know guys that are still mad that you can’t get crank windows anymore :)

I've learned much since I found this site :up: They don't smoke weed anymore - They eat it !  :tooth: Appears that no one buy's american made vehicles anymore.

Just stating some of my observations :mellow: Not looking to create a hostile environment . I will admit I have owned imports and loved them . VW's Toyota's and Volvo to name a few. But following this thread not one mention of American made. 

9 minutes ago, Dogman said:

I've learned much since I found this site :up: They don't smoke weed anymore - They eat it !  :tooth: Appears that no one buy's american made vehicles anymore.

Just stating some of my observations :mellow: Not looking to create a hostile environment . I will admit I have owned imports and loved them . VW's Toyota's and Volvo to name a few. But following this thread not one mention of American made. 

It's become quite a gray area. One actually has to do a little research.  There are many "foreign" cars that are are made in the US.  And some domestic cars and trucks that are not.

I poked fun at a friend for trading in his chevy for a toyota and was schooled on how the Toyota was made in  Tennessee and the Chevy came from Mexico. Lol

On 3/11/2023 at 6:41 AM, sbuff said:

Wife wants to trade in her 2020 Honda pilot , we love the new body style . But she also wants to test drive the 23 Nissan Pathfinder and 23 VW atlas.. Any thoughts on those two compared to the new pilots .

I'm driving her old 2011 Honda pilot with 123k of trouble free miles . 

Personally I’d stay with Honda over Nissan or VW.    If she’s swapping out every three years them it really shouldn’t matter.    If she was keeping it for ten years then REALLY take Honda over the other two.    

(you didn’t mention Toyota but that’s be my first choice)

I couldn’t imagine moving from that Honda to either of those options but that is just me. We looked at the Atlas and besides looks the rest of the vehicle was pretty typical VW. Reviews seemed to back that up with gremlins popping up here and there which I think VW is known for. Had a 1.8T many moons ago and I had taken apart the door more times than I want to remember to replace window motor and switches.

Nissan lacks advancement but is trying to catch up. I’d stay in that Pilot or go for the newer model year. We have two Toyotas built in Japan and you can just “see and feel” the difference IMO. Most here in the US are built in NA but I’m very happy with both of them so far.