IGNORED

Dogs chasing deer, and their stupid owners.

mowin

So wife and I are driving past the farm I hunt and I see several deer on a hard run across the barns lawns.  I knew something was after them, and sure enough I see a dog chasing.  I pull down the farm lane and see too people walking around.  The dog runs up to our car, dragging it's leash and starts jumping on the car and was not happy I was there. It was a very intimidating growing and barking.  I can hear it's nails on the side of our car.  Not happy. I get out to grab the mut as this older lady is running towards me waving her arms yelling don't touch him.  The dog is wearing a muzzle of sorts that doesn't enclose the muzzle but keeps it from opening.  This dog is doing it's best to bite me and I grab it behind the neck and its tail and lift it up.  Lady is freaking out screaming at me, and all I'm hoping for is they are not the landowners friends, and fortunately they were not.  

Lady is bashing me for grabbing her dog and I calmly ask her what she is doing here.  " We're just walking around we bring him(the dog) to chase the deer.  

Now I want to go up one side of these elderly ladies, but I keep my cool and introduced myself as the caretaker and what if the landowner drove in with his 100k vehicle and your dog started jumping on the car? What would happen if his 8 yr old twins came down to the barns from the house on there bikes and you mutt attacked them like he attacked my car. Second, I should call DEC to come give you a ticket for your dog chasing deer. Plus your doing it on someone else's property.  She calmed down and said I can't believe you got out of the car and grabbed him.  I said your lucky I didn't hand you your dog back to you feet first. 

Rant over...

Just now, Cabin Fever said:

I can certainly imagine how pissed you were! Hopefully she got the message and won’t be returning!

I hope so.  She really didn't understand how wrong it was to go on someone land and let their dog loose to chase deer to get it's jiggly willies out. 

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Ya, these gals said they come to this area to walk the dog so he chase deer.  

She had know idea it's illegal.  

That is freakin unbelievable that she said that. How Ignorant ! Did she think that the deer and her dog wanted to play together ?  Glad you saw them and hopefully the stupidity will now come to an end with her and the mutt not coming back ! 

This reminds me of an incident that occurred at our place, quite a few years ago.  Our (2) girls were young at the time, and just old enough to explore our back 34 acres on their own. They made forts and played games back there. 

At the urging of my wife, I put up a few posted signs, prior to hunting season that year.  Mostly just by the property entrances, bridge over the creek, and such.  

On the last Sunday afternoon of gun season, I was back in my truck cap ground blind, near the center of our property, with my bolt-action, 12 ga slug gun.  This was before I had added the upper deck to that.  The blind was then up on some higher ground that I had excavated from my pond.  From there,  I could clearly see all the way to the bridge over the creek up front.  

I watched two women cross over our bridge, right between two of those posted signs.  One of them looked to be in her early 30’s, and the other in her mid 60’s.  They had a little yip dig on a leash, and a big free-ranging German Shepard type, with them. The land behind their house (4 or 5 houses down our road) was an overgrown abandoned jungle, unsuitable for walking dogs.

I watched them as they approached thru the hay fields, walking down our neatly mowed lane.  They were down wind of me, and getting closer.  When they reached the adjacent field, the large dog caught my scent.

It charged towards my blind, barking and drooling, as it “protected” it’s masters.  Just before it jumped into the open back end, the deafening explosion of my 12 ga, and maybe the powder burns from the “near miss” at a one yard range, stopped it in its tracks.  

It let out a very loud “yip” and cowered back to the two women, with its tail between its legs.  They were now about 20 yards away.  Their first words to me were “that shut him up”.  Next they said, “we didn’t think you’d be back here”.  I replied that I’d prefer that they did not walk their dogs back here during hunting season.  As far as I know, that’s the last time that they ever did.  

That was the last year that I put up any posted signs and also the last time that I had any trouble with trespassers.  A reputation as “the crazy guy who shoots at dogs” is way more effective at keeping them away, than those cheap paper signs.  

Those signs have never did anything for me at our place, other than attract more trespassers.  My grandfather never had signs up on our farm while he was alive.  I put some up the year after he passed.  That was also the year that  I turned old enough to hunt on my own.  

The first time I hunted our farm that year, I found an “aborigin” (what I call someone who I don’t know) up in each of my stands, on the first  Saturday morning of gun season.  That was back when the season opened on the Monday prior, when our extended family always hunted Allegheny state park.  

Dad said that it was probably the posted signs that drew them in.  I never put posted signs up here again, until that other time many years later, when neighbor women’s big dog tried jumping into my blind.   

At the urging of my mother, I do put posted signs up over at their larger farm on the opposite diagonal corner of our wmu, prior to hunting season each year.  My sister lives a few houses down from them, and she walks back and forth thru the woods with her dog and/or husband, almost every day.  The signs do seem to be somewhat effective at keeping aborigins away over there.  Unlike those that I put up here, which may as well say “public park”or “good hunting”.  

One obvious similarity between the op’s story and this one is the sense of entitlement that women have ALWAYS had.  This goes all the way back to the very first one.  I knew for sure that the Good Lord had blessed me with the right one when my wife told me that her favorite Bible verse was Genesis 3:16.   I am very thankful that she knows her place.  
C86B29C9-EACF-4C5B-BC20-AD3D7443C4B2.jpeg.af0dbf5ff793466621af1704747d2daf.jpeg

some of her art work ^

Edited by Wolc123

Ignorance is the right word. And I'm not even using it "judgingly"

So many people are "getting out of the city" and "moving to the county" and then hoping to have their lives in the country that they just left in the city.  They don't understand hunting, guns, wildlife, open spaces don't mean free spaces...
Well, I guess that is a touch judgey after all! 

I never  understood  why people have dogs with out proper area for them .. dog parks are waste of tax payers dollars..  dont have room in your apartment for a dog dont have one  or get one that fits the apartments.  When i lived  in lancaster our farm was developed around.  The amount  of people that walked their dog  or went and boughy snowmobiles  or atvs to ride the big field and woods behind their  house astounded  me..  you have a 1/4 acre  lot.. ..smh.. 

Things that should be taught in school that arent. Should be common sense but i guess need to be taught these days.

It is becoming very common on Public in the last few years going back to 2020 and the Lockdown with the Chinese Virus for people  to arrive and just let their Dog/s Run free from the parking area as they go for a long Hike.  Early mornings especially  in both NY + NJ. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

7 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

There were dogs chasing deer on private pieces near where I hunt in NY. There are no more dogs chasing deer in that area

We’ve still got a few dog-like creatures chasing deer around here, but we are whittling their numbers down a bit, for the rest of this month anyhow:

5AD15E28-333D-43BD-AE4A-182D4B2AF489.jpeg.62ef37f698adf022debdd03e92492de9.jpeg

7CBD7358-F9B6-4624-9CD2-F327DD9AE0E4.jpeg.d650c367d560b0d5cc4e305f4a15db74.jpeg

791F1A7D-AD2A-4896-A680-B3FA498D77BC.jpeg.fa3fa73b6127401e0399a4c3a72e9cee.jpeg

I’m hoping that the smallmouth bass like their tail hair jigs as well as they do the deer-tail ones.  

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I hope no domestic  Dogs were Killed.

Agree. I've had neighbor dogs chasing deer at my place. Went over and talked to them. No issues since. 

Sucks to see it, but I would never shoot a dog for chasing a deer. That's when you call the game warden, and let them deal with it. Someone somewhere loves that dog. Hell I can think of relatives I would cry less over than losing my dog. 

Not to mention, it's not the stupid dog's fault that their owner is irresponsible. 

If my dog happened to get out and got shot, it would be an extremely bad day for the person who did it.

"Who the son sets free, is free indeed"  John 8:36