IGNORED

Site Logo - First Revision is LIVE!

nywaw

16 hours ago, Ncountry said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a white perch.

As far as bass go, I will take a large mouth bass out of our small  nny lakes over a St Lawrence river walleye any day..

not very familiar with the st lawrence, but I know that the great lakes quality has improved dramatically over the last 20 years. We never ate anything out of Ontario and now can't wait to catch some steel heads and kings. I've heard the same about Erie walleys but haven't had the chance to fish for them either. 

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

16 hours ago, Wolc123 said:

I think that’s the part that most of the perch/walleye folks are missing.  Those species have significantly less oil in them, than bass or trout, which makes them better for frying.   

Now granted all my walleye came from pristine lakes in quebec, but i've never fried a walleye in my life. They taste great on the grill with just a little bit of seasoning. I think universally walleye are considered great eaters and while I'm sure many fry them. Typically when something is labeled a good eater it's because it doesn't need a bunch of work done to it. 

13 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

No reason to fry fish in animal fat. Canola oil or vegetable oil both work fine. 

If my memory serves me, vegetable oil has been shown to have some health concerns while canola and peanut are generally fine. I think many also prefer lard or bear grease because it's a use for some animal parts you might otherwise throw away.

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

If my memory serves me, vegetable oil has been shown to have some health concerns while canola and peanut are generally fine. I think many also prefer lard or bear grease because it's a use for some animal parts you might otherwise throw away.

Everything in moderation is the old adage. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

57 minutes ago, Belo said:

not very familiar with the st lawrence, but I know that the great lakes quality has improved dramatically over the last 20 years. We never ate anything out of Ontario and now can't wait to catch some steel heads and kings. I've heard the same about Erie walleys but haven't had the chance to fish for them either. 

Before a couple years ago , I had some walleye out of the St Lawrence, I would have told anybody they were nuts to prefer bass over walleye.

Before that all the walleye I caught and ate were out of local smaller rivers and they are delicious. I have a feeling maybe the "fishier" taste I'm getting is from the Gobi ?

8 minutes ago, phade said:

This is why overthinking the logo is pointless IMO. Look, butterflies over there! And we’re off on a multiple page topic stray of eating bass. 

LOL. 

That you are contributing to. 

1 hour ago, Ncountry said:

Before a couple years ago , I had some walleye out of the St Lawrence, I would have told anybody they were nuts to prefer bass over walleye.

Before that all the walleye I caught and ate were out of local smaller rivers and they are delicious. I have a feeling maybe the "fishier" taste I'm getting is from the Gobi ?

I very rarely target walleyes, but I have caught them “by accident” on occasion, while targeting bass.  This has happened to me on the St Lawrence and more commonly on Lake Erie.   

These have most often been larger fish in the over 5 pound range.   They have not tasted too bad, if they were eaten fresh.  Any that I have pulled out of the freezer, over the last 10 years even if they were vacuum sealed and only in there for a month, exhibit a strong “algae”-like flavor that is not the least bit appealing to me.  

Bass, caught from the same water on the same day, pulled out of the freezer and cooked and eaten the same day, have no hint of that “algea” flavor.  Since smallmouth bass eat as many or more gobies than the walleyes, I don’t think the gobies are the problem.

I think the problem is the zoo-plankton algae, that the walleyes like to suspend under, out on the big lakes.  The bass tend to stay on the bottom where that crap can’t absorb thru their skin and affect their taste.  

One other important difference though, is that the bass go into my live well and are kept alive until filleting, while the big walleyes are allowed to expire in a cooler on ice.  Walleyes are too weak of a fish for me to try and keep alive in my livewell for very long when it’s warm out.   

Many years ago, most of the fish I ate were smaller walleyes from Chataqua lake or the Allegheny reservoir.  They never suffered from the algae taste problem and I liked them better fried than bass for sure.  

Since I learned how to cook and care for bass, there’s no going back.  

Edited by Wolc123

Back on topic, I think we need a poll for what fish is to be on the logo: a bass, a walleye, a trout, or some other species.  A sheepshead might draw more attention from Turkeyfeathers.  Chef probably wants a striper, and Pygmy a perch or pumpkin seed.  
A3EC3A3E-F92B-44BA-8CE2-03E8D9A74CDF.jpeg.0fdda92f1400da8aed792de0bf8dceb8.jpeg

I think most would agree, that the deer should have the primary position. NY state just might be the top deer-hunting state in the country, for those of us that are primarily meat hunters. 
8094DC1E-ECFD-4167-9AC9-49865955672A.jpeg.1998b9249acdd8877651c89c2a3a6633.jpeg

CDBEF89C-4ECF-421D-95F5-88B1CC213CC5.jpeg.bcdf45d3a665fa90c868bddd2b940297.jpeg

Edited by Wolc123

2 hours ago, Wolc123 said:

I think most would agree, that the deer should have the primary position. NY state just might be the top deer-hunting state in the country, for those of us that are primarily meat hunters. 

Depends how you measure that.  If by deer taken per square mile, NY is at 3.8.  NJ which is not in any way a great deer state kills 5 deer per square mile.  Both based off '20/'21 seasons which were the last reported by both states.  If you want meat and not bone, NJ is your state.  We have 5-6 months, unlimited does (antlerless, so BBs can be shot as can shed bucks), and up to 6 buck tags if you hunt all three weapon types: archery (all archery gear including crossbows), muzzleloader and shotgun. 

That said, I head to upstate NY as much as I can.  Deer hunting in NJ is an urban nightmare in most places.  Just too many people.  

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board