IGNORED

Fancy Kitchen Knives

SplitRockOutdoors

Anyone have a favorite high end knife for cooking?

I wanted something along the lines of a do all design for general kitchen tasks, nice asthetics, and American made, and hopefully something that I am cutting deer steaks with for many years to come.

Benchmade Station Knife had my eye for a while, but the nicest handle material they had was a recycled paper material lol.

Ultimately decided on this new release Bark River Fin and Bone.  I have a few other knifes from them but this is my favorite so far.  Bog Oak with black liners and malachite spacer.  I think it has a nice look for the kitchen.

What are you guys cutting up your deer with?

IMG_20230320_163813.jpg

IMG_20230320_165512.jpg

I’ve been using a Victronix 6” curved boning knife with a rosewood handle for most of my butchering work, followed up by a variety of different filet knives and an occasional use of a small paring knife.   The Victronix was recommended by The Bearded Butchers a few years ago. 

I do use a Camillus (USA made vintage) folding knife with a rounded end blade for the skinning process. 

As far as cutting up deer, the skinning and boning is done with some job specific knives I have. Then when the meat is reduced to parts & pieces, the rest of the prep work is done with different commercial butcher filet knives I've acquired from a sharpening business that used to be local here.

I was gifted one of those butchering kits years ago that came with bunch of knives, a spreader, sharpener, etc. I only use the skinning knife and filet knife from there for breaking down, keeping them  sharp as I go. Like many kits, many of the pieces are useless (none saw, scissors, massive blade I see no purpose for!)IMHO.

Standard fillet knife in the kitchen to break it down inside. 
we to have a set of Henckels we received as a wedding gift 20+ years ago. They have seen so stuff....and better days and are on the list to be replaced. 

@SplitRockOutdoors looks like a nice knife. well thought out. seems like a breaking/"steak" knife you'd see in a butcher shop. no part of the grip prevents the cutting edge from getting to the work surface. I like it.

We've had a full block set of Zwilling JA Henkles knives. they're lower end and had sh*t "forever sharp" micro serrated edges. I took the whole set out to my bench top belt sander in the garage, ground off the micro serrations, and reprofiled an edge.  Here and there I'll use my victorinox and dexter russell knives I process wildgame with if I need a razor sharp edge for something like a tomato.  For years I've been wanting to find a nice piece of spalted cherry, hophornbeam, or some other wood to have some custom turkey calls and a couple kitchen knives made. thinking a santoku or chef knife and then a smaller boning knife. Guy I'd have make the calls I went to school with and the guy that makes knives is Ross Tyser I met from Realtree forums. Very well known and does show knives for NRA and other org conventions.

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

We use Cutco that I got 2nd hand over the years, we've been very happy with them.   That said, occasionally I use one of my nicer hunting knives for duties when I'm feeling the need.  :)

i got suckered into their scheme in college and sold them for a bit. They are decent knives for what it's worth, and what many may not know is someone will come to your home and sharpen them for free. They will of course try to sell you something while they're there haha.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

I was gifted one of those butchering kits years ago that came with bunch of knives, a spreader, sharpener, etc. I only use the skinning knife and filet knife from there for breaking down, keeping them  sharp as I go. Like many kits, many of the pieces are useless (none saw, scissors, massive blade I see no purpose for!)IMHO.

Standard fillet knife in the kitchen to break it down inside. 
we to have a set of Henckels we received as a wedding gift 20+ years ago. They have seen so stuff....and better days and are on the list to be replaced. 

our henckels are around 15 years old, but still holding up well. sharpen decently. I stand by my worksharp kit, great easy to use belt sharpener. Not perfect or equal to stone, but pretty close with a lot less effort. 

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

i got suckered into their scheme in college and sold them for a bit. They are decent knives for what it's worth, and what many may not know is someone will come to your home and sharpen them for free. They will of course try to sell you something while they're there haha.

I didn't know they would come to your house to sharpen?  I've scrounged a few at estate sales that needed some love/replacement so send those in with some of mine that need the edge brought back to life, Cutco never disappoints with their replacement/repair or sharpening.

Recently I've seen them being offered at a couple sportsman shows and the display was huge.

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

our henckels are around 15 years old, but still holding up well. sharpen decently. I stand by my worksharp kit, great easy to use belt sharpener. Not perfect or equal to stone, but pretty close with a lot less effort. 

i have the ken onion version and just took that stupid guide off. only use the side with the belt going down and away from the edge. i learned that while you can get things done fast it's better to use very light pressure the whole time. you're not pushing on the belt so much then and get a less convex edge that's works better and lasts.