IGNORED

Hearing protection/aid

This has been a discussion before on HNY and haven't seen here yet so figured I'd bring it up.Didn't see a spot for hunting gear questions/reviews/opinions etc so if I missed it please move it,maybe make a spot for it??

Sitting here thinking about gun opener/how my ears have been this year,i really should look into some type of hearing protection while in the stand.lastyear when the old mossberg 500 barked during gun season my left ear was ringing like crazy and just beating myself up because of stupidity.Any suggestions on hearing protection while on the hunt????

Looking for something affordable,will obviously dampen the shot but also I'm not deaf to what's going on

Edited by Doebuck1234

14 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I use the tetra's while hunting. They're a lot of money, but worth it. I hear sound gear are better, but I don't have any experience with them. Investing in hearing protection is worth every penny

Yeah, very important. But why did you choose the Tetras? What other manufacturers did you look at? Can you list important features that someone new to this should consider when looking for custom earmold hearing protection?

7 hours ago, Versatile Hunter said:

Yeah, very important. But why did you choose the Tetras? What other manufacturers did you look at? Can you list important features that someone new to this should consider when looking for custom earmold hearing protection?

At the time, I thought they were the best on the market. I wanted something that was small and wouldn't effect my shooting. I was told about sound gears this year from one of the NAVHDA guys that is a professional trap/skeet instructor. He's the one who said its better, but I don't have ant personal experience. I like the terta's, but I wont say they're perfect.

I have terrible tinnitus most likely from shooting and I always bring a pair of shotgun style ear muffs with me into the woods.  I leave them on my head above my ears when I hunt.  When I see a deer that I think I might take a shot at, I shift them down onto my ears.  They work well enough with a  beanie too.

I use these conventional muffs after years of shooting with electronic ones.  To me, I prefer hearing sounds naturally and it’s super easy to slide the muff’s over my ears. 

For any younger guys out there…use protection.

6 hours ago, Timeless said:

I have terrible tinnitus most likely from shooting and I always bring a pair of shotgun style ear muffs with me into the woods.  I leave them on my head above my ears when I hunt.  When I see a deer that I think I might take a shot at, I shift them down onto my ears.  They work well enough with a  beanie too.

I use these conventional muffs after years of shooting with electronic ones.  To me, I prefer hearing sounds naturally and it’s super easy to slide the muff’s over my ears. 

That's my concern.have had considerably more ringing in my ears/full ears.think it's from shooting and working in the machine shop atmosphere.Im 30 y/o and I'm not trying to ruin it anymore

I've used ear muffs/radio ear muffs for 30+ yrs running my mowing/property maintenance Business. Kept my hearing safe.  Then about two years ago I had water behind the ear. Meds knocked it out quickly, but I developed ringing in my ears as a result. Doc said it might go away. It didn't.  

Thought the voice's in my head were bad enough. :director:

On 11/15/2022 at 10:46 PM, Timeless said:

Knew I had an old pair of my grandfathers shooting muffs kicking around so did exactly what u said this past sunday.kept em above ear then flipped em over my ears quick and let er bark,worked awesome!!!!!

20221123_163314.jpg

28 minutes ago, Doebuck1234 said:

Knew I had an old pair of my grandfathers shooting muffs kicking around so did exactly what u said this past sunday.kept em above ear then flipped em over my ears quick and let er bark,worked awesome!!!!!

20221123_163314.jpg

Those are definitely vintage..