IGNORED

Looking for a new smoke pole

Belo

I've been toting a CVA Optima for 15 or so years. It's been a fine gun and put a bunch of meat in my freezer and even a mount on the wall. I've never loved how there is only a small gap between my scope and hammer, and I'm also enamored with the newer quick release breach plugs out there. It's an older gun and the barrel probably wasn't treated as well as it should have been in my early years, capped off by last year I lost a doe that was completely my fault, not the gun's but it might have been the trigger for me to look into a newer model.

I'll admit I am a bit of a fanboy for CVA but I'm open to any model. I don't have a budget, within reason haha. Any recommendations?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

I lug around a traditions vortek ultralight topped with a Bushnell banner 2. It's a nice gun to carry around.  I use 2 50gr pellets with a 295 gr powerbelt sabot and get 1.5 inch groups at about 75 yds without much recoil. Mine has the stainless barrel and quick release plug as well, so cleanup is a little easier. Not sure if they still offer this model...

Edited by Bolt Action

I have a T/C Triumph with the removable breach plug.  That ease of removal and cleaning is such a tremendous feature.  Love the gun, shoots incredible and BH209 is equally amazing!  Outside of wanting to be more traditional, I don't see a need to shoot anything else when it comes to hunting, accuracy and ease of maintenance!

39 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'm out of touch. still rocking a 15+ year old TC ProHunter. @Beloyou can't get higher scope mounts and/or hammer extension?

I'm sure I can. I've just lived with it. 

1 minute ago, Splitear said:

If you'd like to upgrade from an inline to a flintlock, I've been considering selling my Pedersoli Kentucky :)

flintlock guys are hardcore. Now if there was a flintlock only season.... I think PA has that?

Just now, Belo said:

flintlock guys are hardcore. Now if there was a flintlock only season.... I think PA has that?

Yes they are. Not nearly as violent as the "black powder only, no substitue" guys, but still pretty stalwart. I find enjoyment in both FL and Percussion guns, but I just can't make myself enjoy an inline, I'd rather shoot a supository firearm. I do believe PA still has their FL only season.

3 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Yes they are. Not nearly as violent as the "black powder only, no substitue" guys, but still pretty stalwart. I find enjoyment in both FL and Percussion guns, but I just can't make myself enjoy an inline, I'd rather shoot a supository firearm. I do believe PA still has their FL only season.

It’s funny, a few years ago I bought a flintlock because I’d never killed a deer with one. Hunted with it killed a nice buck in the adk’s early muzzloader season . Within a week it was sold, It was fun to learn something new but I didn’t get hooked like many do.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Nitride barrel too…..interesting they use the word coating on their own website, but thats not was nitride is. It changes the steel surface under pressure and heat process.

I have several higher end European made rifles that have this and nice to see that it’s working its way into general use at a more affordable price point. Perfect for a muzzleloader and corrosive residues left behind after shooting.

I look at my older Rem 700 MZ and it rusts. LOL. Stupid accurate, but not very user friendly for cleaning and general maintenance either.

Edited by Ogee