Jump to content
IGNORED

Reloading Our 270 Hunting Ammo


grampy

Recommended Posts

20230618_125252.jpg.7a850d45099b8a5c087ff117f0c1c672.jpg

Finished up some bench work today. Made up 100 rounds of 270 hunting ammo for my hunting partner and myself.  Will have plenty for a bit of trigger time on the range tomorrow.  With the prices and shortages of ammo these days. I'm glad I got into reloading a few years ago. I find the process to be fun and rewarding. Especially when a bullet made on my bench drops a deer in it's tracks.

Recipe......

140gr Hornady SST

Federal Premium once shot cases

59.5 gr of H4831

CCI 220 primers

Right about 3000 fps

Very accurate. Bad medicine for deer.

20230618_125325.jpg.00b5fc466e1532aae6930e8e6a2f0478.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

This is something I need to learn how to do. Not for cost savings or even accuracy increases, instead its so I don't have to deal with being unable to get ammo again

It's not too hard to learn. And you can get started with pretty basic stuff. If there is anything I can do to help you just let me know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm new to reloading, but did it due to varmint shooting killing me with availability of what shot well in one rifle. I went down a precision rabbit hole and stocking components for what I've got. I've been toying with the idea of getting a chrono and case annealer instead of borrowing or relying on friends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2023 at 2:10 PM, grampy said:

20230618_125252.jpg.7a850d45099b8a5c087ff117f0c1c672.jpg

Finished up some bench work today. Made up 100 rounds of 270 hunting ammo for my hunting partner and myself.  Will have plenty for a bit of trigger time on the range tomorrow.  With the prices and shortages of ammo these days. I'm glad I got into reloading a few years ago. I find the process to be fun and rewarding. Especially when a bullet made on my bench drops a deer in it's tracks.

Recipe......

140gr Hornady SST

Federal Premium once shot cases

59.5 gr of H4831

CCI 220 primers

Right about 3000 fps

Very accurate. Bad medicine for deer.

20230618_125325.jpg.00b5fc466e1532aae6930e8e6a2f0478.jpg

Your bench is way too neat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice set up @grampy 

My first try at reloading didn't go so well. Everything was going ok until the final step of seating the bullet. For some reason even though all the case measurements where correct the bullet was lose in the case. I tore everything down and redid the complete set up a few times only to get the same results. Out of 10ish rounds that I made only 3 where correct. I got a little frustrated so I put everything away and that was the last time I touched it. 

I talked to a friend that reloads and he suggested that I double check all the measurements on the die set as I bought it used so that maybe my issue. I have a new work bench that I am going to use for reloading so I have to get my butt in gear again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Nice set up @grampy 

My first try at reloading didn't go so well. Everything was going ok until the final step of seating the bullet. For some reason even though all the case measurements where correct the bullet was lose in the case. I tore everything down and redid the complete set up a few times only to get the same results. Out of 10ish rounds that I made only 3 where correct. I got a little frustrated so I put everything away and that was the last time I touched it. 

I talked to a friend that reloads and he suggested that I double check all the measurements on the die set as I bought it used so that maybe my issue. I have a new work bench that I am going to use for reloading so I have to get my butt in gear again. 

Thanks!!  I am definitely no expert, but sounds like possibly something in the de-capping/sizing die???

After firing, the neck of the case needs to be properly re-sized, or shrunk down, to slightly smaller than bullet diameter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Thanks!!  I am definitely no expert, but sounds like possibly something in the de-capping/sizing die???

After firing, the neck of the case needs to be properly re-sized, or shrunk down, to slightly smaller than bullet diameter.

That’s what my friends thought was. He said to measure everything and see if it matches up with the factory specs. I have a die set for the .243 as well. I was going to run some of those first to hopefully get my confidence up. LOL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Pygmy said:
On 6/19/2023 at 7:21 PM, grampy said:

20230619_143059.jpg.55818fde8ff66e2e3671323edb0be890.jpg

Range results from today. 

117 yards

Standing.....Freehand. 

A hunting scenario. Not from a bench.

Roughly a two inch group.

I'll take that.

Dave....Your grandpappy wasn,t  named Alvin York, by any chance  ???

No Dan.....lol I  don't even really consider myself to be a great shot. 

I have a rifle that shoots very well (Sako 85 Classic). I like to shoot alot, and do so often enough. With different rifles. One of the reasons for getting into reloading. I've tuned these rounds to this rifle. I did also have a flyer you can see in the picture. 

I heard that you sir ARE a great shot!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...