IGNORED

Mast outlook...

Been out and about on land and  late frost freeze  really  did  in the apples,pears and peaches.   Isolated apple pockets will be the huge draw early this fall.  I have seen some hazelnut and some wild black cherry . Have to get out the binoculars and look at hard mast in hickory and oaks.  Right now  foodplots may be big draw here  later in season.  

Anyone else out scouting for soft and hard mast now?

Edited by G-man

I usually  start checking  out the Hillside Pignut Hickories  come mid August.  Hoping for a good White Oak Acorn mast drop this Fall. I have one on my lawn and,I will monitor  that one. 

Also will be checking out the Shagbark Hickories on my Hikes and hoping the Beech Trees have a Heavy mast drop.

Hoping to see plenty of Turkey Scratchings under the mast trees come August or after .

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

I was pleasantly surprised to see the number of apples on our trees.  The red oaks have acorns but that's because they take 2 years to mature, so they weren't impacted by this year's cold weather.

If there's a complete absence of white oak acorns this year, then more than likely the same thing will happen to the reds next year.       

Everything seems hit or miss.  Some loaded apple trees here, while some got frozen.  Seems like the apples did ok at the home farm, but they are tiny thanks to the early dry weather.  

I haven't seen any acorns here.  I did see some good beechnuts started at the farm.  We don't have many oaks here at the house, just some reds.  Be nice if even one of those was loaded.  I'll have to look again, but so far they look bare.  

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

My wife and I recently took a couple clippings from an oak tree on our property and replanted them along our property line , I googled how long it takes to produce Acorns - 25-35 years ?  We'll be cremated long before then !

There’s a saying about planting trees that you’ll never experience the shade of. Supposed to be about reaching some sort of enlightenment as we age.

Apples are hit or miss. Crab in the back yard is LOADED. Hunting property, super light apples with the frost. Which is a bummer because the first week or so with a good Apple crop is solid hunting.

19 hours ago, G-man said:

Been out and about on land and  late frost freeze  really  did  in the apples,pears and peaches.   Isolated apple pockets will be the huge draw early this fall.  I have seen some hazelnut and some wild black cherry . Have to get out the binoculars and look at hard mast in hickory and oaks.  Right now  foodplots may be big draw here  later in season.  

Anyone else out scouting for soft and hard mast now?

yep. like you I've found it pretty dreadful in 8F. But also I agree that sometimes the poor yield years can be better hunting as they tend to focus the deer more on those areas that did produce some. I'm always competing with the corn planted around me, but once that's cut It will be slimmer pickings than last year for sure.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

21 minutes ago, Swede said:

Hoping for good beech crop. Zero last year. Are they every other year

6 minutes ago, G-man said:

Beech here are every 7 years or so it seems... 

I've got a spot up in the dacks that is a bench of beech trees.   I don't go up there often but only way to find out is when I get there.  Years that they are producing sure have a lot more sign and action there.  But it's my favorite little spot to still hunt to.  It's about 5-6 miles on a one lane dirt road to a trail and then about a 3/4 mile walk into.   

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson