IGNORED

Can't make this stuff up..

mowin

I was mowing near a clients tennis court, when a rabbit ran in front of me from left to righ. I'm watching the bunny, when I hear a "thunk" of a tennis ball.  The ball is moving faster than the bunny, but going to pass to it's left by a foot or so.  But as bunny's often do, it quickly darts left, and the ball wackes it in the ass.  Bunny does a backwards summersault with a full twist, lands on its feet and keep going. I was laughing so hard I about took the flower garden out.  If only I had a GoPro facing the discharge side. 

I thought this story was going elsewhere. I nearly killed a half dozen baby bunnies last summer when they decided to start pouring out of a hidden hole in my lawn, just as I started to go over it with the mower. Luckily I was able to respond fast, stop and lift the nose of the mower and yank it backwards in time. 

I have a friend who scalped a young bunny with a commercial mower years ago, according to him not a pretty sight, what was worse he said the horrible noise it made at it ran around in circles for a few minutes (with not scalp or ears), until it lost enough blood to finally give out. 

Edited by cas

4 minutes ago, cas said:

I thought this story was going elsewhere. I nearly killed a half dozen baby bunnies last summer when they decided to start pouring out of a hidden hole in my lawn, just as I started to go over it with the mower. Luckily I was able to respond fast, stop and lift the nose of the mower and yank it backwards in time. 

I have a friend who scalped a young bunny with a commercial mower years ago, according to him not a pretty sight, what was worse he said the horrible noise it made at it ran around in circles for a few minutes (with not scalp or ears), until it lost enough blood to finally give out. 

Unfortunately, I've hit many bunny nests over the years.  

I’ve had some interesting strikes while bush-hogging.  One time, over at my parents place, there was a woodchuck out in the field.  It must have gotten lost and forgot where it’s den was.   As I was cutting rows across the field, it ran across cut areas, to areas of still standing tall Timothy hay, several times. 

When I got down to the last  5 ft wide strip, I was about half way across the field, when I felt a big “thud” that nearly stalled the 35 hp tractor.  Looking back, I saw the (4) legs and lower half of the woodchuck, with some entrails strewn off to the side.  

Another time, while cutting the field behind our creek at home, I felt a soft thud with the same tractor.  Looking back, I saw the four legs and the lower plate of a large snapping turtle.  I never found the shell or other parts.  

The turtle was about a year after the woodchuck.  I remember wondering about how much less energy seemed to be absorbed by it.  My old Ford 2000 diesel didn’t miss a beat on the snapper, but was nearly stalled by the woodchuck.  

Edited by Wolc123