IGNORED

Innards

havent tried this is 35+ years as i didnt like liver as a kid but this season I think i am going to keep the liver and give it a try.  I always keep the heart and like that cooked several different ways.  The heart is generally the first thing that gets cooked the next day dredged in some seasoned flour and fried up with some eggs. Its also very good to core it and stuff it with onions and apples.  

I am thinking the liver will most likely be the traditional standby of cooking in bacon fat with onions.   Any other suggestions or tips? Other than leave it in the woods....:P

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

36 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

havent tried this is 35+ years as i didnt like liver as a kid but this season I think i am going to keep the liver and give it a try.  I always keep the heart and like that cooked several different ways.  The heart is generally the first thing that gets cooked the next day dredged in some seasoned flour and fried up with some eggs. Its also very good to core it and stuff it with onions and apples.  

I am thinking the liver will most likely be the traditional standby of cooking in bacon fat with onions.   Any other suggestions or tips? Other than leave it in the woods....:P

I save mine for my buddies who bring it to a local shop and get liverwurst made.  I've tried it, but I'd rather eat the package. 

2 hours ago, mowin said:

I save mine for my buddies who bring it to a local shop and get liverwurst made.  I've tried it, but I'd rather eat the package. 

I think @crappyice made liverwurst and it sounded horrific.  Lol.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

Well I figured it's been a long time I will give it a go.  I like chicken liver so might be alright.  

Anyone ever eat the liver, heart or gizzard from their wild turkey? 

If the deer is more than 1 year old, make sure that you age the raw liver in the fridge for at least 1 week prior to eating or freezing.  Otherwise, it will be very tough.  It is red meat and like any of that, you got to let it get past rigor mortis or it will be real chewy.

You can skip that step with fawns.  

Or, you could eat it fresh from the animal like Pygmy’s Inuit guides did with the caribou, dipped in fresh gut juice.   Ive not heard of any white man having the stomach to try that though.  

Edited by Wolc123

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Ill take the heart and leave the liver for the vultures and crows, I’ve tried it a bunch of times and it’s not for me. Everyone I used to save it for is now gone.

it seems like the previous generation was more of a fan of the liver.  My Dad loved it.  

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

it seems like the previous generation was more of a fan of the liver.  My Dad loved it.  

I don’t know my mom loves liver but won’t eat a deer’s. I’ll eat the liver from my beefers before the fillets but think a deer’s liver sucks! 

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t know my mom loves liver but won’t eat a deer’s. I’ll eat the liver from my beefers before the fillets but think a deer’s liver sucks! 

Obviously, you’ve never tried one from a corn  & clover fed button buck.   I’ll admit that Baby beef livers are also very good, but not quite as tasty as those from the whitetail bb’s.  

35 minutes ago, Wolc123 said:

Obviously, you’ve never tried one from a corn  & clover fed button buck.   I’ll admit that Baby beef livers are also very good, but not quite as tasty as those from the whitetail bb’s.  

I’ll admit that’s a whitetail class I try to avoid.

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

The sight of ground liver is rough; the smell is worse and the SOUND is unimaginable! Not sure I can stomach making it again

Every few years I make liver glaze (liver dumplings) with either beef or calves liver.   It’s an old family recipe that’s delicious.    

And yes, grinding liver is one of the nastiest things you can do in the kitchen THEN eat.   😂