IGNORED

How does this happen? 11 yr old dies in hunting accident.

mowin

I just can't fathom how this happens... I remember when I was 11 and how excited I was to go hunting with dad and my brother.  I'm sure this little boy felt the same way.  

I feel so bad for that little boys family.  

https://www.wsaz.com/2022/11/21/11-year-old-shot-killed-hunting-accident/

Unsafe gun handling. He violated two rules, number 1 being to NEVER point your barrel at someone and obviously not entering a vehicle with a loaded weapon. A total preventable shooting.  What a horrible thing. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

9 minutes ago, mowin said:

Even if it's legal to unload in a vehicle in that state, the number 1 rule of gun safety is pointing in a safe direction.  

Now hears where I'm torn...  Do you prosecute the guy or not. 

What's everyone's thoughts on that subject? 

Personally yes he should be charged with something.  What that is I couldn’t tell you. It is 100% his fault if he knowingly unloaded that gun with that child standing in the direction of his barrel.

5 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Personally yes he should be charged with something.  What that is I couldn’t tell you. It is 100% his fault if he knowingly unloaded that gun with that child standing in the direction of his barrel.

I agree, but what if it was your brother or uncle that was unloading?  Would you want your relative going to jail?  

Tuff questions I truly hope never have to answered ever again.  

Edited by mowin

Just now, mowin said:

I agree, but what if it was your brother or uncle that was unloading?  Would you want your relative going to jail?  

Tuff questions I truly hope never have to answered ever again.  

Yes.  You take a life of a child because you aren’t paying attention then absolutely. I wouldn’t care if it was the pope.  If it was my kid I honestly don’t know if i could keep my composure and not beat the hell out of the person who did it. 

Im sure the person feels like crap and would take back what happened.  But there are consequences to actions especially when it comes to harming a child. 

like you I hope I never have to be in that situation.

13 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Yes.  You take a life of a child because you aren’t paying attention then absolutely. I wouldn’t care if it was the pope.  If it was my kid I honestly don’t know if i could keep my composure and not beat the hell out of the person who did it. 

Im sure the person feels like crap and would take back what happened.  But there are consequences to actions especially when it comes to harming a child. 

like you I hope I never have to be in that situation.

I agree the guy is probably feeling bad enough but he should get charged with something,what exactly I also don't know. That incident has to be next to impossible to come back from to lead a normal life afterwards. More than likely two lives were lost that day...

In Hunter Education, the #1 rule we teach is to NEVER point the muzzle of a firearm in an unsafe direction. At ANY time. And for the most part the youngsters get that, and are very good about it. 

But data shows most "accidents" occur with more experienced people. They become complacent. Because, they have experience. And all it takes is a split second of complacency, to have a tragic outcome. The person in this case is 41. No rookie I'm sure. And "should" have known better! My heart breaks each time I hear of a tragic and needless "accident" like this. It didn't need to happen!

Us more experienced hunters should ALWAYS be setting the standard for others on firearm safety. Tragically, it's not always the case.

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Well,that is incredibly sad. Wouldn't have happened in NY as we have to unload before getting in a vehicle. I doubt the prevention of something like this was the intended result of the law but it is a by-product of it.

People getting too casual around guns can be dangerous.

Since when do laws prevent bad things from happening?  A law doesn’t protect against stupidity!

so sad, The shooter should be executed. Mistakes or not he took a life!

Edited by mowin
Political comment

Another news story that tells us nothing . I found another article that said the shooter was outside vehicle attempting to unload the gun and then place on the back seat .

https://www.wpr.org/wisconsin-gun-deer-season-opening-weekend-shooting-hunting-accident

Some do get careless with their guns that’s for sure , unload with muzzle pointed to the ground please .

Opening day,while hunting with my daughter I tripped , I knew I was going to fall, my only  concern was maintaining muzzle control , I used both arms to control the weapon, not catch or brace myself.  You must be thinking all the time about safe gun handling .