IGNORED

Not sure of my plans

Swamp_bucks

So I’m torn on my plans going into this year.  Having school 5 days a week plus working 30hr a week, plus 2 kiddos and my wife. It won’t leave me much time to hunt. Wife said she would work from home a couple days so I could go right to the woods after school.  Clinical start in November and then I won’t have any time to get out until gun opener. 

I would like to hold out for a 2.5 or better buck but we like having venison in the freezer so I’m trying to figure if I should just shoot the first buck I see or hope a couple doe come through and hope I get out later.  I will have the late bow season off from school so I could always try then.

guess I have a week to decide because I set it up to get out on 10/1. 

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

So I’m torn on my plans going into this year.  Having school 5 days a week plus working 30hr a week, plus 2 kiddos and my wife. It won’t leave me much time to hunt. Wife said she would work from home a couple days so I could go right to the woods after school.  Clinical start in November and then I won’t have any time to get out until gun opener. 

I would like to hold out for a 2.5 or better buck but we like having venison in the freezer so I’m trying to figure if I should just shoot the first buck I see or hope a couple doe come through and hope I get out later.  I will have the late bow season off from school so I could always try then.

guess I have a week to decide because I set it up to get out on 10/1. 

What about the Holiday ML  season ?  Probably no work or school some of those days and all of your unfilled tags can be used then.  

4 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Just make it a game time decision. I wouldn't pass on much though but I know how little time you will have since my wife went through nursing school 10 years ago and she had time for nothing.  How is your knee by the way,did you get that all taken care of?

Yea knee is all better. Don’t remember it ever feeling this good.  Just use a brace when I’m out hiking for support. 

Make the most of the time you DO have to hunt! I spent years working 60-70 hours a week, raising kids, taking care of a house, and doing work on the farm.

There were many times I was grateful to put a spike buck in the freezer, with the limited hunting time I had. 

Take the first good opportunity you get!!! There will come a time down the road, when you'll have more time to hunt, and less responsibilities. Then you can hold out for a bigger buck, or whatever you choose.

Just enjoy the little precious time you get to hunt, with absolutely no pressure on yourself. 

I was in your shoes a few yrs back.  I was getting my ankle fused the Monday after rifle opener, so my rifle season was 2 days long.  I shot a spike in the morning and a doe in the afternoon, and spent the next day processing.  I did get out in ML once, but I sat in a clients garage with my foot elevated, lol. 

Edited by mowin

Talked to my wife about it today.  She reminded me it’s only a year of school and she would support my choice but also said she knows if the freezer isnt full I’ll be upset about it. 

I know it’s cheaper to by meat but having that ability to fill the freezer myself I enjoy a lot. 

That being said the first deer (not a fawn) will be getting shot at. I’ll still put myself in the best place to get on a good buck but don’t plan at this time on passing much. 

With all that going on it sounds like just time in the woods to relax is going to be a win.  Don't pressure yourself just enjoy the time out there.  That's what it's all about, a deer is the bonus.  And knowing you one is bound to walk thru. You've done your homework and scouting for many years before "trust your science! ".   Good luck and enjoy the season when you can get out there.  It will just make those days mean even more.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson