IGNORED

PHEASANTS + WOODCOCK- You Ready For Some Cackling Action?!

blackbeltbill

I don't know where,I will be on October 1st. I have a number of tried and true- Woodcock/Timberdoodle areas where the Long billed birds fly into during the night as they travel by the Stars in their migration South. 2 Areas that,I know about are on state Land a good 6 miles apart. And a large Scrub Field bordering Wetlands on Open Land that,I have Hunted since 1974.

Pheasants  are a Bonus on October  1st as it will be crowded in the Pheasant Fields in Orange County.

ABBEY IS STOKED AND READY TO FLUSH UP EITHER BIRD.

CACKLE-- CACKLE--- BOOM!

20221007_084048.jpg

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Here in NJ, our opening day for pheasants is usually the last day for woodcock and that’s the only day you can take both. Years ago I was hunting a stocked piece of state land for pheasants with my Brittany when he slammed on point. Much to my surprise a woodcock flushed and not a pheasant. I made a clean kill and sent the dog for retrieve, and while that was happening a nearby another hunter shouted “so now we’re shooting woodpeckers?! “. I yelled over that it was a woodcock and perfectly legal gamebird. He suddenly changed his tone and wanted to come over and see it and we spent several minutes discussing Woodcock and Woodcock habitat. I’d like to think I created a new woodcock hunter on that day but I will never know. I have always preferred grouse, and woodcock over stocked pheasants myself.

Edited by Bucksnbows
Because talk to text sucks

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

12 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Here in NJ, our opening day for pheasants is usually the last day for woodcock and that’s the only day you can take both. Years ago I was hunting a stocked piece of state land for pheasants with my Brittany when he slammed on point. Much to my surprise a woodcock flushed and not a pheasant. I made a clean kill and sent the dog for retrieve, and while that was happening a nearby another hunter shouted “so now we’re shooting woodpeckers?! “. I yelled over that it was a woodcock and perfectly legal gamebird. He suddenly changed his tone and wanted to come over and see it and we spent several minutes discussing Woodcock and Woodcock habitat. I’d like to think I created a new woodcock hunter on that day but I will never know. I have always preferred grouse, and woodcock over stocked pheasants myself.

Woodcock are Fun indeed. I often hunt them when ABBEY  is resting up. She goes twice a week max to ensure enough rest.

My Father taught me when,I was 14 to properly hunt if,I did not have a Dog. 

Simply walk about 10 feet- stop for a good 20 seconds without making a sound and start walking another 10 feet or so.

Most upland hunters know about this already. Definitely  works for Pheasants as well.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge.