IGNORED

Dirty Bear Hide

HeavyUser

Hey Guys, released an arrow into a public land black bear yesterday(3M). I had to bag it out as it was too big for me to drag through the woods by myself. The hide has dirt and leaves all on the flesh side. Can I still get the hide soft tanned even though it is dirty? It may sound like a stupid question to some but I am ignorant to the tanning process and google was no help!

Thanks.

Edited by HeavyUser

6 minutes ago, HeavyUser said:

Hey Guys, released an arrow into a black bear yesterday(3M). I had to bag it out as it was too big for me to drag through the woods by myself. The hide has dirt and leaves all on the flesh side. Can I still get the hide soft tanned even though it is dirty? It may sound like a stupid question to some but I am ignorant to the tanning process and google was no help!

Thanks.

Absolutely.. that layer gets removed in the fleshing process. 

But, you know the rules.. pics required. 

4 minutes ago, virgil said:

Can you call a local taxidermist to ask?

I've tried two so far, no answer. I'm assuming cause of the holiday.

15 minutes ago, mowin said:

Absolutely.. that layer gets removed in the fleshing process. 

But, you know the rules.. pics required. 

Good to know, pics coming soon. I was alone so I'll have to take pics of the hide when I refold it so it freezes correctly. 

11 minutes ago, IM Hooked said:

Hit it with a hose.

Not sure if I should do that or not, I'm trying to freeze the hide at the moment. 

2 hours ago, HeavyUser said:

Hey Guys, released an arrow into a public land black bear yesterday(3M). I had to bag it out as it was too big for me to drag through the woods by myself. The hide has dirt and leaves all on the flesh side. Can I still get the hide soft tanned even though it is dirty? It may sound like a stupid question to some but I am ignorant to the tanning process and google was no help!

Thanks.

Throw a Pic up.

Did you bag the Bear near CrestviewLake?

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

35 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Throw a Pic up.

Did you bag the Bear near CrestviewLake?

It's up!

Same forest but different area, I steer far away from that Crestview Lake area. They are doing fishy things over there as you know. They also use that place as a shooting range and I know for a fact there is no back stop ..... :wacko:

Edited by HeavyUser

6 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

I've haven't mounted a bear yet but I'd flesh it and skin out the head and paws for you so you can send it to a tannery. Not sure where your located but I'm in Troy 

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. 

I'm a touch over an hour away from you, down south. I'm actually about to pull him out the freezer and drop him off at the taxidermist near walker valley.