IGNORED

How old when you saw your first kill?

yfki1983

My son is 5. Got him out on his first sit last year and had a blast. 

I would not take a shot on anything with him there because I wasn't sure he could handle it. 

I'm still not sure he really understands,even though he watches videos. 

How old were your kids when you first shot something in front of them?

I took our daughter out on a ML hunt when she was 5.  A 6 pointer came feeding past and I asked her what she wanted me to do.  She looked at me like I was stupid and says, "shoot it, duh"!   :rofl:

There was fresh snow on the ground so after I shot it I let my 2 kids track the blood trail and drag it out together.    

Edited by Rusty

Somebody hit a button buck with a car, and it was flopping around in our front yard when I got home from hunting over at my parents house.  Our oldest daughter was about 13 at the time.  

She held a flashlight for me, as I finished it off with a knife.  The knife was dull, so it didn’t go very well. She stood back at a safe distance, but there was a near miss or two to my head, with hoof kicks.  She screamed a little, and never really wanted to hunt after that (or before).  

Her and her 10 month younger sister like venison and eat plenty of it, but that was the only time that either one of them helped me to get any of it.  

I don't remember it but I was 6 or 7 depending on how my dad tells the story. He killed a caribou on the Thompson pass close to the Valdez pipeline. I held the backlegs open so I could help gut it. My God father has pictures. 

Very blessed to live in Alaska as a young kid surrounded by hunters and fisherman. 

11 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

15 (late blooming City Boy)

I’m a late blooming suburban boy. LOL

I was 25 and shot a deer a hour into the first time hunting . Stood there with my knife in one hand and a 2 sided index card with how to gut a deer in the other. It wasn’t smooth, but got it done.

1 hour ago, Wolc123 said:

Somebody hit a button buck with a car, and it was flopping around in our front yard when I got home from hunting over at my parents house.  Our oldest daughter was about 13 at the time.  

She held a flashlight for me, as I finished it off with a knife.  The knife was dull, so it didn’t go very well. She stood back at a safe distance, but there was a near miss or two to my head, with hoof kicks.  She screamed a little, and never really wanted to hunt after that (or before).  

Her and her 10 month younger sister like venison and eat plenty of it, but that was the only time that either one of them helped me to get any of it.  

Why not a quick poke in the lungs and step back? I never understood trying to cut the throat 

I have a picture of my uncle holding me next to a doe he shot when I was maybe 2-3 years old. Obviously I don’t remember it. I don’t think I was ever around for a deer being shot in the field until I was a teenager. 

My daughter was 4 years old when I brought a doe home to butcher and she sat out in the garage with me asking a million questions as I skinned and quartered it. The following year she tagged along on a hunt or 2 and hasn’t stopped. Now she’s 13 and hunting with me not just observing.