IGNORED

Grinder thoughts?

NYRturkeycall

That's all I ever used for several years.  It works well.  But after a bit the kitchen aid started getting tired.  And then your replacing that.   It works well but not as well as a dedicated grinder.  If your not going to use it a lot it's fine.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

9 hours ago, NYRturkeycall said:

Saw this and my wife already uses her mixer alot so figure it might work for light work for sausages and chop meat without taking more space somewhere.

Any thoughts?

https://a.co/d/i5SdGZQ

Thanks!

I bought that exact grinder attachment.   First time grinding 5 lbs of venison on a very lightly used mixer resulted in this. 

IMG_20230105_104249441_HDR.jpg

I know people have had their issues with the grinder attachment but I have been lucky with it. It has to be over 10 year by now now since I first started using it with the grinder attachment doing at least one deer a year on top of doing ground chicken and ground turkey and it has yet to fail me (knock on wood). 

With that said most of the dedicated grinders will work a lot faster than the kitchen aid. 

3 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I know people have had their issues with the grinder attachment but I have been lucky with it. It has to be over 10 year by now now since I first started using it with the grinder attachment doing at least one deer a year on top of doing ground chicken and ground turkey and it has yet to fail me (knock on wood). 

With that said most of the dedicated grinders will work a lot faster than the kitchen aid. 

For all I know, I got a KitchenAid made on a Tuesday after a 3 day weekend, lol.  

The grinder attachments I purchased wasn't made by KitchenAid, so that could have been the issue.  The only reason I purchased that attachment was because it was made of metal, and at the time the KitchenAid attachment was plastic. 

22 minutes ago, mowin said:

For all I know, I got a KitchenAid made on a Tuesday after a 3 day weekend, lol.  

The grinder attachments I purchased wasn't made by KitchenAid, so that could have been the issue.  The only reason I purchased that attachment was because it was made of metal, and at the time the KitchenAid attachment was plastic. 

You are not the only one to have issues with the kitchen aid grinder. 

I personally can't wait for @Wolc123 to post the infamous grinder picture now. 

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Ah, now it makes more sense. Yes, my Kitchen Aide grinder was plastic and that’s so you don’t overtax the machine’s gears. My wife would hang me by the short hairs from the attic ceiling if I broke her Kitchen Aide, a gift from her now departed uncle and his wife. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

This probably goes without saying; but for any newbies......

Spread your meat chunks on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer for 20 minutes until partially frozen, then grind.  It's helpful to also put the grinder parts in the freezer too.  Makes it much easier for the grinder to work and the meat will be fully defrosted within a few minutes of grinding.  And if you are grinding a large batch, take apart the grinder every few minutes to clean the auger and screens of any sinew or tough pieces that sneak through. 

I have used a Kitchen Aid grinder for one shot meals - on my wife's Kitchen Aid mixer which was a wedding shower gift 33 years ago. Keep it on the very low speed and don't push too much meat through at a time and you'll have no problems. 

Edited by Otto

I had the Kitchenaid grinder and got rid of it.  It was too hard on the machine and the results were just so-so.  My understanding is that newer models of the mixer have plastic parts that wear out easily when put to tough use.  i had to replace the gears twice and then quit using it for grinding.  The older models had all metal parts.  I use a dedicated grinder now and have much better results.