IGNORED

The Pheasant Preserve/Gathering Of The Hunters.

blackbeltbill

Here are some of my best memories  going back to 1974 at age 14. Especially  in the parking lot 30 minutes before the Preserve Chairman blows the Whistle and everyone walks in together from every angle possible. 

While waiting though beforehand  there is much Talk going on. -- This is what it is all about!! 

There might be 30 Men and a good 25 or so Pheasant Hunting Dogs. All Breeds- All Sizes and Colors. Plenty of members- that is all they Hunt- just Pheasants. 

I miss those days as,I used to be in 4 Gun Clubs.  Watching your Pheasant  Dog work and many others  is just about Tops for an exciting morning.  

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

4 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Out in the Dakota's? No Larry. Maybe one day though while,I am still around.

The difference is night and day. I was fortunate to hunt only wild pheasants (cockbirds only) when I lived in the Midwest in states like Iowa and South Dakota. I also got into wild quail in Missouri. I hope you get the chance to hunt them one day. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

I would like to shoot wild pheasants but was always put off by the low bag limits. 

On of my fellow board members at my club is very well off and he brings his family on a hunt, I believe in Kansas, every year and pays for everyone. 

The bag limits are only 2 wild birds and after they limit out they head to another section of land which is a preserve and they shoot more birds. 

I don’t remember the exact numbers but it’s very pricey and only two wild birds. And the way they hunt it’s not two birds each they shoot until the overall number is reached and then stop. So someone might not shoot any wild birds. 

Sounds like a lot of travel and expense for possible little return. If you lived there it’s a different story. 

Maybe I’m just lazy and cheap. 

29 minutes ago, Mike103 said:

I would like to shoot wild pheasants but was always put off by the low bag limits. 

On of my fellow board members at my club is very well off and he brings his family on a hunt, I believe in Kansas, every year and pays for everyone. 

The bag limits are only 2 wild birds and after they limit out they head to another section of land which is a preserve and they shoot more birds. 

I don’t remember the exact numbers but it’s very pricey and only two wild birds. And the way they hunt it’s not two birds each they shoot until the overall number is reached and then stop. So someone might not shoot any wild birds. 

Sounds like a lot of travel and expense for possible little return. If you lived there it’s a different story. 

Maybe I’m just lazy and cheap. 

Shooting a limit of 3 truly wild pheasant is no easy task. I would bet you wouldn't be able to do it most days, unless you have some incredible dogs. A lot of those ranches out west stock as well, so its not only wild birds. The places with completely wild birds tend to either be thousands of acres or really don't take many people out. That's why DIY bird trips are big deals for bird guys. Much better chance of wild birds that way. You're paying for the experience and dog work in the end of the day. 

I don’t have dogs anymore. I had labs when I was younger but did not have the money/ time for that kind of travel. 

When I was older and the dogs were gone I had the money but no time. I had a very demanding job in the years before I retired. 

The place my board mate goes to does huge drives on the wild birds. He says they have 10’s of thousands acres of leased land to hunt on. It’s supposedly very high end place that does not advertise. He is only able to book because he has been going over 30 years.