IGNORED

Who Else Here Does Not Use Horseshoe/Mouth Calls For Spring Turkey Hunting?

For myself,I found very early on that,I could not get over that Gag Reflex.  Just never liked this Type of Call. I tried them out in my 1st Spring year of 1990 and dropped them Quick.

My Finisher as,I have written  about in the past is my natural Voice. Forming the words Yelp or Whit- Whit through my voice box in the Neck. 

I am a Pot Call Man first and Foremost- followed closely by Boxes. I have a Dave Halloran  Long Box that is a Game Changer on Public where most Hunters are using Horseshoe/Mouth alot. Guarantee those Gobblers wise up to those Tones after a good 6 or 7 days.

So nothing against Mouth Call users here- just a Pre- Season Thread to get things going.

Soo-- who else here does not use Horseshoe/ Mouth Calls in their Spring Turkey Hunting?

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Know how to , and can just don't.. I think they are over  used. They add to myth turkey huningnis hard and you need to practice all the time.. personally prefer and use slate ( pot calls)  or  pushbox, box calls, wing bone,  More versatile and realistic  imo..  

i started without them for the the longest time. can't say the same now. i think some would benefit from not using them. I feel like some get into it and feel the need to cut, cluck, and purr.... and just call way too damn much. they have a rhythm going and it's almost like they keep calling because they're impressed with themselves. that said mouth calls are most of what I use. i've heard people call too loud on other calls and all that. doesn't seem to matter though with some birds just taking to a call different than the next. i just think people call too much and too aggressive when using a mouth call.

Took me a looong time to get over the gag reflex when using mouth calls.  Killed many birds before using them.  Now it's just about all I use.  I've heard hunters overuse box calls more than mouth calls. Guys trying to get a tom two counties away to gobble, and are just stroking them boxes, lol.  

I like pot/slates better than boxes. Just changing a striker will change the tone quite a bit making them more versatile than a box. 

I also have that gag reflex reaction. 

I have a slate call I bought at a gun show years ago that is my #1 go to.  I also carry 1 or 2 other pot calls in case that one gets wet, or if I want to change up the tone of the call.  And I have 4 or 5 different strikers to use.   I really don't need much else and sometimes my best call is no call at all. 

I call very little but have killed 100% of the birds I’ve called in with a mouth call in recent years. I don’t carry any other calls. I’m not a vest or pack wearer and can cover everything I need with 2 mouth calls. Since I’ve really settlers into my style I’ve averaged 4 toms a spring for the last 5 years with this method. And that’s with only hunting 2 weeks a year.

Edited by Buckmaster7600

3 hours ago, G-man said:

Know how to , and can just don't.. I think they are over  used. They add to myth turkey huningnis hard and you need to practice all the time.. personally prefer and use slate ( pot calls)  or  pushbox, box calls, wing bone,  More versatile and realistic  imo..  

I have made around 12 or so Wingbones. This time of year,I practice  on the callers just once a week or so.

Turkey Hunting is Tough where,I am. I will be out after 21 straight days looking for Big Bird#2 just like every May and Loving every second of it. Just came in after a 3 Mile Walk. Trying to walk a minimum  of 21 Miles a Week. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge.