IGNORED

The Plot Begins II

ZAG

• 2 weeks later...

Well my work schedule changed today so I only had a small window to make an appearance. Guy’s were running behind so I didn’t get to see them. With all this rain maybe that slowed them down. 
Tomorrow I should be free for the most part to get back down to see it. Just the damn arm on this sob is impressive!

BDA0883A-A4A9-4CCC-A6B9-2DB8FFED11BD.jpeg

Well the warm temps the last few days plus a good amount of rain has postponed work till at least Monday. Looks like the weekend should freeze the ground up a bit again.

Now that it’s gonna be plantable this spring I’ve been looking over some spring planting options with the idea that I will be replanting late summer for a fall/winter mix.

I care more about a fall/winter mix as its the harshest period for the deer. Our current plot gets a july/aug refresh of, rye, wheat, barassica mix. I don’t touch it until we’re getting close to plant again and I’ll brush hog the plot, disc and seed. That’s been the story the last 3-4yrs now. This plot will be similar.

So looking at spring options, here are a few I came across.

1) Powerplant (Whitetail Institute)

2) Biologic has a spring protein pea mix

3) Realworld has a mix to help the soil called soil charge/soil builder. It has, barley, red clover, rape and peas.

May use a mix of the biologic and realworld. 
Then I can disc it up and replant my fall mix.

23 minutes ago, ZAG said:

Well the warm temps the last few days plus a good amount of rain has postponed work till at least Monday. Looks like the weekend should freeze the ground up a bit again.

Now that it’s gonna be plantable this spring I’ve been looking over some spring planting options with the idea that I will be replanting late summer for a fall/winter mix.

I care more about a fall/winter mix as its the harshest period for the deer. Our current plot gets a july/aug refresh of, rye, wheat, barassica mix. I don’t touch it until we’re getting close to plant again and I’ll brush hog the plot, disc and seed. That’s been the story the last 3-4yrs now. This plot will be similar.

3) Realworld has a mix to help the soil called soil charge/soil builder. It has, barley, red clover, rape and peas.

Check out Domain seed "Overhaul".  Supposed to be for first time food plots. Might be a good option.  

Sounds like a great project. Will def be following along. We just got into food plots 2 years ago and it's a lot of fun.  We are going to use hot chic and comeback kid this spring in a few spots we brush cut and want to grow periennals. But if your looking for a spring plot to start off then go to a fall plot this might be the ticket. 

https://www.domainoutdoor.com/foodplotseedmineralandattractant/overhaul

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

17 minutes ago, ZAG said:

If it were me, I would plant the Soil Builder/Smart cover blend by either Grandpa Rays Outdoors or Northwoods Whitetail. They will be your best bet for seeds that promote soil and wildlife equally, its also pure live seed where #1 and #2 are not. You want seed blends that have, an annual clover or two, a buckwheat, an oat or wheat/rye, another style legume like pea, or soybean, as well as a bulb like a radish or something, and even a sorghum to help break up the top dirt layer and add organics to your "topsoil".. These are also blends you can kill easily and simply seed into, spray then roll or lightly disk and seed into. But a highly recommended seed blend, especially in brand new plots. Even in established plots. Spring Summer months deer have what they need naturally, so why not build the soil up every year or two before fall plots. Wish more people would. 

When i plant soil builder blends the deer and turkey love it, and so does the soil.  

49 minutes ago, ZAG said:

these warm temps are a bummer. There is work I'd like to do on my land but I don't want to rut it all up. Usually this is the time of year I get a ton of improvements done. Nice hard soil, no foliage, no bugs and little to no sweat with cool temps. Been a real bummer so far and I don't even own a snowmobile.

5 minutes ago, ZAG said:

Ok ill take a look at em!! 

Anyone try Plotsmart (lime alt) or plot boost?

Yes used Plotstarter and plot booster and they worked great as advertised.  They were easy to mix and easy to apply. I used to hand sprayer though. I’m sure a bigger power sprayer would work too. I immediately noticed a greening up of my plots.  I would recommend it and I’m going to use it again this year

10 minutes ago, KungFu Tolkien said:

these warm temps are a bummer. There is work I'd like to do on my land but I don't want to rut it all up. Usually this is the time of year I get a ton of improvements done. Nice hard soil, no foliage, no bugs and little to no sweat with cool temps. Been a real bummer so far and I don't even own a snowmobile.

No doubt! Normally being in higher elevations by mid jan into march we have so much snow you cant do anything. This winters been a dream getting things done!

20 minutes ago, ZAG said:

No doubt! Normally being in higher elevations by mid jan into march we have so much snow you cant do anything. This winters been a dream getting things done!

ive already cut brush twice, put up a stand and took down two others in january.  Loving it.  Planning on cutting brush again tomorrow. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson