Jump to content
IGNORED

3 MONTH COUNTDOWN!!


Recommended Posts

  ALRIGHT-- Just 3 more Months until New Jersey opens their Spring Turkey Season on APRIL 22nd!

    I will have a solid 8 Mornings to Turkey Hunt in Jersey before NY opens on May 1st. Not many Turkeys in North Jersey. Happy to be out though. I Killed a Big Jake during new Jersey's Fall Turkey Season this past 2023- so things might be getting better.

    Just bought my NJ/ Non Resident Hunting License this morning.  $135.50. Been hunting down here since 1994 Killed a Bunch of Jersey Turkeys over the Decades.  

  12 Weeks will go Quick . Then it is Game on for this Turkey Hunting Fanatic!!

20240122_113727.jpg

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This will be the third straight year I give our NJ flock a break. Numbers near Sparta Mountain are way down. But with all the acorns, hens should be in great egg laying shape this Spring.  It’s going to take a few favorable years to bring them up to when I will hunt them again. 
 

That said, my buddies’ two NY farms have ample birds and I think I figured out the three big, smart toms on the one farm and look forward to trying to fool them in May. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

This will be the third straight year I give our NJ flock a break. Numbers near Sparta Mountain are way down. But with all the acorns, hens should be in great egg laying shape this Spring.  It’s going to take a few favorable years to bring them up to when I will hunt them again. 
 

That said, my buddies’ two NY farms have ample birds and I think I figured out the three big, smart toms on the one farm and look forward to trying to fool them in May. 

  Good Luck in NY in May.  I will probably  bounce around a few State Parks and a few State Forests in Zones 5,6, +7.  Turkey Numbers are slowly coming back.

  That said- Orange County Turkey Numbers seem solid. And last May,I saw a good 8 or so Vehicles with New Jersey Plates up in Sterling Forest ,NY while driving through one Morning.  And all are welcome.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I'm not even sure I'm going to get to hunt Spring gobblers this year. Closing on a new house in March, moving in April, so looks like it will be almost zero time to scout the new areas. 

Congrats on the new house.  Maybe you'll hear gobbling from the back deck and won't need to do much scouting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I'm not even sure I'm going to get to hunt Spring gobblers this year. Closing on a new house in March, moving in April, so looks like it will be almost zero time to scout the new areas. 

Congratulations Rob.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2024 at 7:10 AM, mowin said:

Congrats on the new house.  Maybe you'll hear gobbling from the back deck and won't need to do much scouting. 

Still don't own the land, another community, but north of 29 with public land bordering the place and more not far away. I'll probably still be able to hear them from the deck if there's any in the area. 

On 1/26/2024 at 7:35 AM, Lawdwaz said:

Congratulations Rob.   

Thank you Larry.

I don't feed the trolls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

Still don't own the land, another community, but north of 29 with public land bordering the place and more not far away. I'll probably still be able to hear them from the deck if there's any in the area. 

Thank you Larry.

Congratulations to you and your Mrs!!

What's the closest town at the new place?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2024 at 5:08 PM, grampy said:

Congratulations to you and your Mrs!!

What's the closest town at the new place?

Thank you. I guess the nearest city would be Saratoga Springs a little to the south. I think more so it would be Wilton Center arterial, but many of the addresses are Saratoga Springs. If all else fails I'm closer to the private land I hunt up north and the turkey have been repopulating the area for the past several years. If all else fails I'll try and get over there a few times.

 

I don't feed the trolls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DirtTime said:

Thank you. I guess the nearest city would be Saratoga Springs a little to the south. I think more so it would be Wilton Center arterial, but many of the addresses are Saratoga Springs. If all else fails I'm closer to the private land I hunt up north and the turkey have been repopulating the area for the past several years. If all else fails I'll try and get over there a few times.

 

Congrats Rob, maybe we can get together sometime, you'll be close. 

As much as people raz on Saratoga, it's pretty awesome to have so many things so close and still feel like you're not in the city. Pretty much any kind of restaurant, great entertainment options. My wife and I went to a play at Universal Preservation Hall last week and had dinner and nice speakeasy themed restaurant. We both talked about how cool it is to be 10 minutes from that kind of stuff, but be able to go home to a "small" town (Ballston Spa).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...