IGNORED

What Kind Of Yelp?

Or does it matter? I think it does especially  by May 3rd after 2 Straight Mornings of non stop Yelping by " Hens" who never move and Yelp in the same Spot for Hours on end. Add in Dark- 2 Legged Giants Sneaking across open fields or walking the Edges as late as 45 Minutes before Sunrise and the Local Gobbler Population will start to realize  by May 3rd that something has changed and it ain't good.

Now Decades back when,I worked at Walmart- (Shoe Man)- There was a Guy in his mid 30s who worked in maintenance and cleaning the Front and Back Bathrooms.  Now this Guy went a good 5'5" and 300lbs+ He wanted to try Turkey Hunting.  I told him to Buy a Box Call. So he bought a Cheap one in Walmart. I picked out a spot for him close to the road + parking as he could not walk far or fast.

And what happened? He Killed A Gobbler. He told me that other Hunters were near to Multiple  vocal Gobblers and Calling non- stop. Then he told me something  that made sense-- They Liked My Calling Better.

Definitely  best to change it up out there. In my area it seems that most are Diaphragm Caller Experts. And these Guys are unbelievable  on the calls!

I used to have more Luck even with Traditional  Slates- but not nearly as much in recent years.

Now,I use often- Long Boxes and Little Scratch Boxes. Tones those Educated Gobblers seldom hear. I have been following along on the oldgobbler site for years now and a number Travel around and Kill a Bunch of Toms with just a Longbox.

And Scratch Boxes- more popular  down in the Southren States are all some Local Legends use.  The Yelp is different.  Probably  from the way you are supposed  to perform with the Striker. It is a " Hit and a Slide".  Takes some practice. 

So - What Yelp Do You Use?

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

all combinations of them. has to make sense though. like why would you string together an assembly yelp late morning when they're splitting up and going separate ways? early morning with a spread of decoys out in a clearing near a roost out of sight why wouldn't you use an assembly yelp? mostly i use contact yelps or if a tom is hot throwing some in with cutting. either way the story and conversation has to make some sense and fit the situation. then you just have to be lucky whatever individual bird finds it appealing on that day, at that time, when he just picked a tick off his ass, saw his shadow in a certain orientation, etc for whatever BS circumstances make us scratch our heads and call it hunting. 

6 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

all combinations of them. has to make sense though. like why would you string together an assembly yelp late morning when they're splitting up and going separate ways? early morning with a spread of decoys out in a clearing near a roost out of sight why wouldn't you use an assembly yelp? mostly i use contact yelps or if a tom is hot throwing some in with cutting. either way the story and conversation has to make some sense and fit the situation. then you just have to be lucky whatever individual bird finds it appealing on that day, at that time, when he just picked a tick off his ass, saw his shadow in a certain orientation, etc for whatever BS circumstances make us scratch our heads and call it hunting. 

Most Hunters seem to only use 1 Type of Yelp--very Long Strings of Loud Yelps . Basically- Lost Yelping is what most are doing  as it takes little or no practice and not everybody practices  pre season.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge.