IGNORED

Eastern coyote mix diagram

nywaw

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

The history and ecology of this relatively "new" critter is very interesting.  I make my students study it because it's not going anywhere and it's playing a larger and larger role in our ecosystems.  With all of the original Dog DNA put back into one animal, as it was originally, we now have a super predator.  The more we try to kill it the faster it spreads and multiplies.  Its range and population size are constantly expanding, it can live anywhere including cities, and it's extremely intelligent and adaptable.  

They will be ruling the earth..

Planet of the yotes.. coming to a theater near you. 

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

The history and ecology of this relatively "new" critter is very interesting.  I make my students study it because it's not going anywhere and it's playing a larger and larger role in our ecosystems.  With all of the original Dog DNA put back into one animal, as it was originally, we now have a super predator.  The more we try to kill it the faster it spreads and multiplies.  Its range and population size are constantly expanding, it can live anywhere including cities, and it's extremely intelligent and adaptable.  

i've talked with a couple people from DEC big game unit about why we don't have an open season all year. They said NYC and anti-hunting folks here in NY would never let it fly past being proposed and DEC isn't willing to rock the boat. It's always a point of contention and debate when discussing "predator control". Some will quote just what you said that taking more will just cause them to be more productive, and then argue there's no point in taking any. Others assume control means elimination. Both in my opinion are far from reality. Even if you hit denning sites you'll never convince me you can eliminate them from the landscape. I strongly believe and have seen that if you let them walk they will grow in numbers until deer and small game numbers drop significantly. fawn recruitment sucks.  We take them any chance we get but don't go far out of our way to remove them in mass like some try to do without success. It's worked well.

Guys who think they are doing something by popping a few off the back 40 are funny .Out west they have gov trappers,paid trappers(denning season ),aerial gunners ,and predator hunters.All that puts a small dent in the population.Out east here ,just not enough being killed to do anything significant.

2 minutes ago, NYRuthunter said:

Guys who think they are doing something by popping a few off the back 40 are funny .Out west they have gov trappers,paid trappers(denning season ),aerial gunners ,and predator hunters.All that puts a small dent in the population.Out east here ,just not enough being killed to do anything significant.

I was watching a predator show on the Outdoor Network the other day somewhere out west. They did a drive to push coyotes through a corn field. There was a 15 yard cut in the corn so you could see them run through. They pushed exactly 85 coyotes through that one field. I was astonished myself. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

15 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I was watching a predator show on the Outdoor Network the other day somewhere out west. They did a drive to push coyotes through a corn field. There was a 15 yard cut in the corn so you could see them run through. They pushed exactly 85 coyotes through that one field. I was astonished myself. 

Here's the video of 58 (I'm dislexic too lol)

Full video on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=335629279469864&extid=CL-UNK-UNK-UNK-IOS_GK0T-GK1C&ref=sharing&mibextid=cr9u03

42 minutes ago, nywaw said:

Here's the video of 58 (I'm dislexic too lol)

Full video on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=335629279469864&extid=CL-UNK-UNK-UNK-IOS_GK0T-GK1C&ref=sharing&mibextid=cr9u03

85…..58…..whichever. :rofl:

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

5 hours ago, Rusty said:

2 hours ago, mowin said:

They will be ruling the earth..

Planet of the yotes.. coming to a theater near you. 

not if trapper belo has his say lol

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I agree with you 100%.

I wasn’t trying to imply that killing them makes them reproduce faster.   They are multiplying and spreading even in areas where they are hunted year round.   They are a survival machine.   

They're every where and will only thrive in urban and suburbs. They even had one somehow get inside the NYS Museum here in Albany! I mean the thing had to have taken stairs or an elevator to get where it was. they showed a photo of it curled up in a ball on the fourth floor mezzanine next to double doors.if you left your door open they'd probably steal the food out of your fridge. hahaha

coyote-1522173195.jpg

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've talked with a couple people from DEC big game unit about why we don't have an open season all year. They said NYC and anti-hunting folks here in NY would never let it fly past being proposed and DEC isn't willing to rock the boat. It's always a point of contention and debate when discussing "predator control". Some will quote just what you said that taking more will just cause them to be more productive, and then argue there's no point in taking any. Others assume control means elimination. Both in my opinion are far from reality. Even if you hit denning sites you'll never convince me you can eliminate them from the landscape. I strongly believe and have seen that if you let them walk they will grow in numbers until deer and small game numbers drop significantly. fawn recruitment sucks.  We take them any chance we get but don't go far out of our way to remove them in mass like some try to do without success. It's worked well.

I don't necessarily subscribe to "without success". Yes, jokes aside I know there is no way to eliminate the coyote. Yes I've done my research with how hunting/trapping the yote is not similar to other species and that in fact elimination of competition just drives them to expand their range.

But I do believe there is some impact. Certainly if I were to take even 3 females off the map those are 3 less litters at ~27 less dogs in the spring. The challenge being of course the females range being 8 or so miles and up to 5 times that for a male, but it is STILL less dogs out there after game animals. 

Generally there shouldn't be unrealistic expectations that trapping or hunting is making a BIG impact, but also that it isn't making NO impact. 

3 seasons ago my buddy shot 32 yotes off 2 separate bait plies only 3/4 mile apart. The past season he shot only 4, this season so far he's up to 3.  Lot more turkey and deer in the area this spring and fall also. 

The theory, you take a few off they will be replaced by others the following yr, definitely isn't the case in his area. 

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

I don't necessarily subscribe to "without success". Yes, jokes aside I know there is no way to eliminate the coyote. Yes I've done my research with how hunting/trapping the yote is not similar to other species and that in fact elimination of competition just drives them to expand their range.

But I do believe there is some impact. Certainly if I were to take even 3 females off the map those are 3 less litters at ~27 less dogs in the spring. The challenge being of course the females range being 8 or so miles and up to 5 times that for a male, but it is STILL less dogs out there after game animals. 

Generally there shouldn't be unrealistic expectations that trapping or hunting is making a BIG impact, but also that it isn't making NO impact. 

i don't think you're subscribing to anything different than what I meant. under the context "without success" the others I know were disappointed coyotes were still around after hitting them pretty hard. in reality they knocked down a family group but another just made a rotation and show happened to show up. it makes a big impact locally but you'll never wipe them from the local landscape without more finding your honey hole to use more frequently. this especially goes for property with good habitat and deer numbers. you're managing for a thriving prey population of theirs like deer and all the other prey animals that also thrive from QDM. bigger the view the less you've made a "BIG impact" by taking them. I agree with you that some impact is still being made and expectations it's good enough need to be realistic.

16 hours ago, nywaw said:

IMG_7053.webp.b74e404df3b1fa7e5a01f04ab2aa5d60.webp

I'll try and find a few pictures of him, but the big male we've had in residency for a few years now moves that wolf % up about 10%.  Doesn't sound like a coyote when he fires up every evening.  Big SOB.  Almost had him a couple of times, bad shooting by other people has made him wary.

1 hour ago, mowin said:

3 seasons ago my buddy shot 32 yotes off 2 separate bait plies only 3/4 mile apart. The past season he shot only 4, this season so far he's up to 3.  Lot more turkey and deer in the area this spring and fall also. 

The theory, you take a few off they will be replaced by others the following yr, definitely isn't the case in his area. 

as illusive as we all agree they are, they are still a finite resource. Some areas have legite yote problems, others it's not substantial. Any female removed is going to impact the pack the following season. Removing males maybe not so much. Not much different than removing a doe vs a buck, but that's not a good analogy given the different dynamics.