IGNORED

Shipping question

sbuff

Now to my knowledge,all gun shipping in NYS has to go through an FFL, how in earth did someone I know ship a rifle back to savage for repairs right from the Fed x facility. They never once asked what it was in the box ,savage had a pre paid  return label for him 

I believe you can ship to them, but they will need to ship to an FFL.

Funny enough, we had a gun that we raffled last year that was sent home without a magazine. When I called Savage to replace it (which they did for free), they had to ship the magazine to an FFL. I don't know if this is standard or set by company, but still....

Pretty sure you can ship back and forth to a manufacturer without issue for repairs?   Also, I believe an individual can still ship a long gun on their own out of state but it must go to an FFL.

In state the proper transfer has to be completed FFL to FFL.

Please check this for accuracy.  :)

I just had a firearm shipped from out of state to an FFL here in NY.  The NY FFL said that it had to be sent to him from another FFL - he would not accept a shipment directly from an individual.  I'm not sure if that's the law / regulation currently, but that was his policy.

24 minutes ago, escpen said:

I just had a firearm shipped from out of state to an FFL here in NY.  The NY FFL said that it had to be sent to him from another FFL - he would not accept a shipment directly from an individual.  I'm not sure if that's the law / regulation currently, but that was his policy.

IMO..Just that FFL policy
If you buy on Gunbroker from individual then it must be shipped to NY FFL who will accept from such..they are also being risk averse

Edited by cervidchasers

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I'm going to assume savage has a FFL. 

Interested to hear what others say.

@phade would probably be the one to shed some light on the subject.

I'm certain savage has an FFL ,I just thought you had to go to an FFL to ship to savage ,not a actual Fed x location.

4 hours ago, escpen said:

Same here - won’t receive from individual. Paper trail.

I had S&W tell me I had to go through an FFL to send a handgun in for repair due to being a NYC resident.  I just purched a shipping label on my own online and dropped it off at a UPS depot. I ship stuff all the time. They never ask whats in it for pre-paid labels. Only if you buy a label on-site. 

14 hours ago, sbuff said:

Now to my knowledge,all gun shipping in NYS has to go through an FFL, how in earth did someone I know ship a rifle back to savage for repairs right from the Fed x facility. They never once asked what it was in the box ,savage had a pre paid  return label for him 

I had to send both of my Browning BPS back to Browning this past summer. Packed them all up, brought them to the post office and had them shipped.  No questions asked. I was actually told by Browning to send through the post office, not FedEx or UPS. They shipped them back to me by UPS. 

You can ship long guns via USPS without using an FFL. Handguns must be shipped by an FFL. 

If shipping back to a manufacturer like Savage or Sig, they usually send a prepaid shipping label. Since they are an FFL, you can drop it off at FedEx with no issues whether it’s a long gun or hand gun. 

• 1 month later...

i've only known of repairs to go through a local gun shop aka dealer. so it was FFL to FFL both ways. i've never had to send something in. any minor repairs I was did myself but was upgrading to aftermarket components anyway.