IGNORED

Cva scout

sbuff

Heavily considering a cva scout in 350 legend or 45/70 

Leaning on the 350 legend because ammo is readily available just about all over ( probably jinxed myself) I k kw phade said he has one he likes . For the price I'm not seeing anything even close . I've got a couple spare scopes I could put on it but may opt for a peep site for early season . Main reason for a new toy is I'm looking to go light weight rig if possible 

Your close to me I think , where have you been buying them ? Pm if better 

Yea encores are going for to much, I threw in the towel on them .

For deer 100yards or less either caliber will work, I like the idea of 350 legend ammo all over the place .

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I ordered all of them off gunbroker. 

The 450 is a much better deer round in my opinion but for her she won’t shoot over 75yds,  it’s easy to reload and there no recoil. 

Are any of them the TD (take down) models , any reason to get a TD other then the obvious 

We can order in the Scouts too. Normally keep 350L on hand and usually a .243 but they’re popular this year. The 350L is on backorder.

They have worked very well for us and for our buyers. Two things I think stand out to me - they’re louder than what I expected w/o the muzzle brake and having the screw cap on. The second is people try to get low with their scopes and I’ve seen two failure to fire scenarios - one being mine. The hammer was making contact with the scope bell housing ever so slightly with the rings I had. You need to make sure you have a bit more clearance than you are used to with that design. 

Outside of that people really like them for what they are. Light, accurate, and reasonably priced all things considered. I carry mine more than I should because I’ve gotten comfortable with it (243). The 350L hasn’t seen a ton of action because I got it for Ohio and have only hunted 3 days of their gun season so far.

45-70 is also rare stock wise now. A lot of smokeless build interest in them. That is on backorder too.

Edited by phade

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Been tossing this around for a walking gun. Stainless in 7mm-08. Open sights, or a low power scope?  What are your thoughts? 

Would have to check but I think the vast majority or all of the scouts are set up for scopes. I know older ones had some w sights but just can’t recall if the newer ones come in that model at the moment. CVA is selling a lot of them with the H&R shutdown and TC state of affairs.

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Been tossing this around for a walking gun. Stainless in 7mm-08. Open sights, or a low power scope?  What are your thoughts? 

Although I kill most of my bucks with peep sights I would much rather hunt with a low powered scope. My 450 and 35whelen have 1-5x20mm leupolds on them and they’re a perfect pair!

I think the comb on the stock would be too high for a peep or iron setup. None of mine are drilled and tapped for irons but any gun smith can remedy that for around a 50$ bill. If one was willing to do a little stock work.

edit to add the small short leupolds avoid the scenario phase talked about and you’re able to mount them low like they’re supposed to and have plenty of clearance for hammer travel.

Edited by Buckmaster7600

52 minutes ago, phade said:

We can order in the Scouts too. Normally keep 350L on hand and usually a .243 but they’re popular this year. The 350L is on backorder.

They have worked very well for us and for our buyers. Two things I think stand out to me - they’re louder than what I expected w/o the muzzle brake and having the screw cap on. The second is people try to get low with their scopes and I’ve seen two failure to fire scenarios - one being mine. The hammer was making contact with the scope bell housing ever so slightly with the rings I had. You need to make sure you have a bit more clearance than you are used to with that design. 

Outside of that people really like them for what they are. Light, accurate, and reasonably priced all things considered. I carry mine more than I should because I’ve gotten comfortable with it (243). The 350L hasn’t seen a ton of action because I got it for Ohio and have only hunted 3 days of their gun season so far.

45-70 is also rare stock wise now. A lot of smokeless build interest in them. That is on backorder too.

I can’t comment on them being loud as all of mine have had the barrels cut to 16 or 18”