IGNORED

Backstrap......Sometimes Amazing.

Lawdwaz

16 hours ago, Dinorocks said:

This afternoon I butchered the doe I harvested the other day and decided to try to  include the rib bone with the backstrap chops.   I doubt it will change the taste but it will present nicely on the plate!  I didn’t have my phone to look up ideas on to make this cut…I also didn’t have a fine-tooth saw to cut the ribs from the spine so I cut them off with my knife at the “joint”.  Hoping to figure out an easier way…the route I took was very tedious. 

Maybe loppers for the ribs?

i always try to pull them first especially with a lean buck. thing is they're on the outside. if you let the deer hang it's more likely freezing and thawing or warming up above 40 degrees compared to the quarters that have more mass to keep temps consistent. whenever you freeze something more than once it dries out and quality goes down. if over 40 degrees quality goes down. also when cooking i think it's good to get it closer to room temp before putting heat to it. otherwise outside well done more before it gets into the center that started colder or maybe even still close to freezing. just my opinion over the years. I also leave straps whole but cut into three sections that'd be different cuts on beef (ribeye, short loin, and sirloin) they can be a little different in texture, tenderness, etc.  i stop at the hip joint at the rump and then top of rib cage. some pull the quarters off first and think the straps go farther but it's really not the same meat IMO. you're into neck and rump at that point.

On 12/17/2022 at 8:35 AM, grampy said:

I've never had "bad" backstrap!  Just works out to be better sometimes than others. And no matter how it's prepared, as long as it's not overdone, I like it!!!! So many good recipes. On limited backstraps.

backstraps are my drive to shoot more deer when i know i have deer already in the freezer.

@Lawdwaz are you noticing different results using straps from the same deer? If all the straps from one deer are consistently sub par, it may be something about that animal or how it was handled after the shot that tainted the meat. 

Lately my go to way to prepare them is cut the chop about 3/4" thick and tenderize them with the spiky side of that mallet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a cast iron pan over med heat and throw in some butter, minced garlic, and red pepper. When the butter is plenty hot, lay the chops in. Spoon the butter over them as they cook. They melt in your mouth, have a great flavor, and just the right amount of heat. They go great over rice with the vegetable of choice and a cold beer or wine. 

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

also once you get further back into short loin and sirloin section the strap gets smaller. there's a seam that some leave the two sections together. I trim off the outer section and cut that into stew meat or meat for kabobs. idk if it makes a difference or not but it's what i do.

I do the same thing.  That section that runs into the neck muscle, isn't as tender. 

5 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

also once you get further back into short loin and sirloin section the strap gets smaller. there's a seam that some leave the two sections together. I trim off the outer section and cut that into stew meat or meat for kabobs. idk if it makes a difference or not but it's what i do.

I left the seam in once and made some Jerky from that cut. Wow,I could not chew through it at all. Now I trim it. And I am with @grampy,never had bad backstrap.

Edited by BowmanMike

5 hours ago, Bolt Action said:

@Lawdwaz are you noticing different results using straps from the same deer? If all the straps from one deer are consistently sub par, it may be something about that animal or how it was handled after the shot that tainted the meat. 

No, it just seems like every once in a while I have a tough package.  Maybe they didn't "rest" long enough, maybe a tad over cooked, maybe.............heck I don't know?  No big deal, it makes me so much more appreciative of the good ones. :)