IGNORED

Rainy Day Bench Work For 243

grampy

20240302_145212.thumb.jpg.bfc780fdbc9050a126641d98715deb65.jpg

20240302_145235.thumb.jpg.c160d16673e46cc79b6a7371739131a6.jpg

The perfect day to make up some 243 win. for my God daughter's new Remmy 700. She killed a nice buck with this recipe, on opening day of last season. Very accurate out of her rifle.

50 count.....

95g. Hornady SST

43 grains of H4831

CCI 200 primer

New Hornady cases.

Great way to spend a rainy afternoon. 

2 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

Nice rounds Grampy .  How many times can you reload a brass casing before its considered spent . And does that number change depending on the caliber ? 

As long as you don't go too hot, and the spent cases show no pressure signs. I've reloaded the same shot cases in 270, 7mm-08, 223, and 308 four to five times and the cases showed no issues at all. 

I have more brass than I'll ever need. So I don’t need to push the envelope too far with cases. 

To the question above; after a couple firings, the case length should be checked and if cases have stretched they will need to be trimmed to length.  I've trimmed but never shot the life out of any brass, wish I could.  :)

Edited by Lawdwaz

10 minutes ago, phade said:

Someday I will get into reloading. A lot like fly fishing, it’s on the list at retirement lol. I just don’t have enough time for everything.

Im sure the 243 will suit her well!

I find the my time spent at the bench is almost therapeutic. My mind is focused 100% on what I'm doing. So no distractions or mundane thoughts. A nice getaway without leaving the house!

I get a huge thrill every time I see a deer killed by something I made up myself. She dropped her personal best buck in his tracks last year,  with the same recipe I just finished. Wanted her to have enough for this season, and some trigger time.

I always wanted to get into it. Finally started out a few years ago with help from some forum members. And reading everything I could, including a few manuals. 

Be glad to help you, when ya decide to get started Brad.

I love your setup! Nothing better than critters dying from something you built!

Since building my new house that is much smaller I haven’t had a permanent reloading setup. I recently made a deal with my mom to get a room setup at in her basement. She lives 100yds from me so it’s plenty handy.  It’s been a couple days job because the room was my dads archery shop that then turned into my parents catch all storage room that has 30 years worth of “stuff.” 2 dump trailer loads to the dump and I’ve finally gotten it empty. Have new shelves and some old kitchen cabinets to get hung then I’m building a bench. 

My original plan was for a reloading room in my heated barn but that is still a few years away so I’m glad to finally be getting a permanent setup again. I’m tired of clamping a press to my dining room table and having all my components in totes to haul in and out of the barn. 

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I love your setup! Nothing better than critters dying from something you built!

Since building my new house that is much smaller I haven’t had a permanent reloading setup. I recently made a deal with my mom to get a room setup at in her basement. She lives 100yds from me so it’s plenty handy.  It’s been a couple days job because the room was my dads archery shop that then turned into my parents catch all storage room that has 30 years worth of “stuff.” 2 dump trailer loads to the dump and I’ve finally gotten it empty. Have new shelves and some old kitchen cabinets to get hung then I’m building a bench. 

My original plan was for a reloading room in my heated barn but that is still a few years away so I’m glad to finally be getting a permanent setup again. I’m tired of clamping a press to my dining room table and having all my components in totes to haul in and out of the barn. 

With all the different stuff you shoot, I know you'll be busy!! Having all your reloading components in one space will make it so much nicer for you. And having the extra benefit of saying hi to mom, is icing on the cake! Sounds like after the clean up. it's the perfect spot!!

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

With all the different stuff you shoot, I know you'll be busy!! Having all your reloading components in one space will make it so much nicer for you. And having the extra benefit of saying hi to mom, is icing on the cake! Sounds like after the clean up. it's the perfect spot!!

It’s almost too much, last night I was going through some of my stuff and I realized Im setup to reload 11 different pistol cartridges, without tallying it up I have to have that many or more rifle cartridges. Having it all in one place is something I’ve never had so I’m really looking forward to that! 

Living on the home farm seeing mom has always been something that happens almost daily. If I’m not working I have breakfast with her almost every day and almost every day I’m there she complains about it but if I miss a day I’m guaranteed a phone call with her complaining that Im not there.