IGNORED

Big Bore AR

dbHunterNY

On 12/23/2022 at 6:05 AM, phade said:

I grabbed a 350 lower with the rule changes. I figured it’ll be my only build. I’m willing to dump some $ into it and know nothing about them. It’s overload on all the info and options but I’ll pay attention here for sure. I went 350 just because I have a single and bolt in that, and I like to stick to a few chambers so I can keep ammo on hand. 

standard ar-15 mil spec/size lower then. assuming it's a stripped lower receiver with nothing on it? you will likely end up with multiple uppers for it. basically that lower works for any cartridge that's 2-1/4" or less in overall length. so a 243 or 6.5 creedmoor is no go. they can be really affordable though and nice to have multiple uppers.

you really need to decide if you want to keep it featureless with detachable mag to use for multiple chambered cartridges or even uppers first though.  anything that's not 450, 458, or 50 cal you don't need a muzzle brake. just JB weld or red thread lock on threaded muzzle with a cap to make that part featureless. most can live without other features. night hunting fur bearers or pigs though one would want a flash hider.

dedicated rifle in just 350 you would be fine to fix the mag "permanently" in the rifle (swap mag release for a sheared bolt that you'd just drill out to remove) and then put whatever features/parts on it you want. need to make sure that mag functions well with the upper and lower first though before "pinning it". in that case a cross armory "quick pin" works. replaces a rear take down pin holding upper half to the lower half with two tabs to squeeze instead of tapping or point pressing out a pin. the upper half and lower then break open like an over/under shotgun. you can then load or unload the fixed mag through top of the lower. another con to fixed mag though is clearing certain malfunctions with a live round by needing to break it open. risk is pretty small though.

Good luck with the new build @dbHunterNY.  I would say post some pictures, but it is NY and most aren't being flashy with the pics these days. Just curious why not just use one of these to lock the mag in place:

https://www.allstartactical.com/catalog/components-parts/lower-parts/lpks-small-parts-grips/safemod-mag-button

or this one:

https://www.bulletbutton.com/product-p/ar15ml.htm

Both of those go on a lot faster and are at least $15 cheaper. Only difference from the SafeMod and the Prince50 is the former has two set screws and the latter only has one.

Also, the muzzle break/flash suppressor doesn't actually hide the flash from the muzzle blast, it just disperses it in the directions of the holes. They also send the concussion from the muzzle out to the sides as well as the front. 

I don't feed the trolls.

23 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Good luck with the new build @dbHunterNY.  I would say post some pictures, but it is NY and most aren't being flashy with the pics these days. Just curious why not just use one of these to lock the mag in place:

https://www.allstartactical.com/catalog/components-parts/lower-parts/lpks-small-parts-grips/safemod-mag-button

or this one:

https://www.bulletbutton.com/product-p/ar15ml.htm

Both of those go on a lot faster and are at least $15 cheaper. Only difference from the SafeMod and the Prince50 is the former has two set screws and the latter only has one.

Also, the muzzle break/flash suppressor doesn't actually hide the flash from the muzzle blast, it just disperses it in the directions of the holes. They also send the concussion from the muzzle out to the sides as well as the front. 

it doesn't matter pictures wise. I mean i don't post my whole life on the internet but the government knows what you have or have had if they really want to. i'm a pistol owner so they already know i have stuff.

it all comes down to proving intent beyond doubt if you were to go to court. safemod is fine only if you use the epoxy otherwise it's the same as the button button replacement you posted that uses just an exposed allen key set screw. IMO exposed screws would never help you in court. they'd say it's not permanent and can be readily reversed.

legal night hunting with a flash hider mitigates the flash a bit so your eyes don't get dilated as much. otherwise you can't see.

5 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

it doesn't matter pictures wise. I mean i don't post my whole life on the internet but the government knows what you have or have had if they really want to. i'm a pistol owner so they already know i have stuff.

it all comes down to proving intent beyond doubt if you were to go to court. safemod is fine only if you use the epoxy otherwise it's the same as the button button replacement you posted that uses just an exposed allen key set screw. IMO exposed screws would never help you in court. they'd say it's not permanent and can be readily reversed.

legal night hunting with a flash hider mitigates the flash a bit so your eyes don't get dilated as much. otherwise you can't see.

It's all a joke. The SafeMod is manufactured and sold right here in NY, Rochester to be exact. Haven't heard of the shop that makes them being shut down or the rifles they sell with them on having any issues. It does not say it has to be permanent it says cannot be reversed easily, and in reality neither the SafeMod or the Prince50 can be reversed lickety split. Until there's a case judgement, no-one is going to know what's OK and what isn't. Those pistol grips with the fin on the back aren't NY compliant either, that's a CA compliance thing, but people/shops sell and use them. NYSP hasn't signed off on anything so we know what's what. 

Edited by DirtTime

I don't feed the trolls.

13 hours ago, DirtTime said:

It's all a joke. The SafeMod is manufactured and sold right here in NY, Rochester to be exact. Haven't heard of the shop that makes them being shut down or the rifles they sell with them on having any issues. It does not say it has to be permanent it says cannot be reversed easily, and in reality neither the SafeMod or the Prince50 can be reversed lickety split. Until there's a case judgement, no-one is going to know what's OK and what isn't. Those pistol grips with the fin on the back aren't NY compliant either, that's a CA compliance thing, but people/shops sell and use them. NYSP hasn't signed off on anything so we know what's what. 

i agree NYS hasn't signed off on anything. I have been going with the Strike Industries fin grip. it's at least ruled on in another state for same purpose of function here in NYS. the other stuff i'd rather not want to be arguing over intent and semantics in court. drilling is definitely permanent compared to simply unscrewing something, despite both are inevitably reversible with respective levels of effort. i think it'd help you in court should the unlikely situation arise. i agree it's all a joke in what it's accomplishing but any fall out definitely isn't a joke.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:24 PM, DirtTime said:

Yeap. Anyways. 

How's the build going? Someone should have warned me these rifles can be more addictive than any other firearm I have owned or want to own. Just too many options to customize, especially when you lock the mag in.

At a stand still for now. Just the other night I finished the lower and put it on one of my uppers to function test it. Idk if I'm 100% happy with Wilson combat ambi safety. It's 90 degree throw and does contact your hand/finger on your right hand a little Should've went with 45 degree throw that I feel like is on my Saint Victor if i think about it. I cut a thin nylon washer for now just to keep side to side play/movement down and quiet any little tick noise from it making metal on metal contact with the lower receiver. There's ambi safeties out there with shorter second lever. Not sure if it'd make the position better or not to eliminate contact. Also the detent I had that came with my anderson parts kit was pretty sharp and aggressive that made for a louder click when toggling between safe and fire positions. I dulled down the point slightly to reduce the noise. if I grip it with both thumb and index finger I can take it off with no sound at all. Prolock elftman trigger is in there solid with 6 points of contact to the lower receiver. I went with blue loctite vs factory lock washers to reduce their profile on the side of the receiver. Has a little travel but breaks like greased glass. I'd order the flat trigger version though. Wasn't available at the time. I hind sight I should've ordered a giessele H1 or H2 buffer/super 42 spring kit. If I have to go lighter than H3 for timing cycling of action, I can't find lighter stainless steel modules. Can only find heavier tungsten ones by themselves (h3 buffer already has tungsten in it for all three modules). Spike lower I ended up with fits snug on all my uppers just like my adjustable factory Saint Victor. Seems to be already threaded and tapped for the adjustment screw too despite there isn't one installed. So far happy enough excluding going down the fixed mag road for now.

20230114_200930.jpg

Looking pretty nice.

I went out to pick up a stripped lower a while back just to have a spare. Figured why not seeing no permit needed (as of yet) for just a part. Ended up buying a lower with the fire control system and a grip for $27 less then just the lower. Picked up an LBE Unlimited buffer kit complete with rear takedown pin assembly. The rear pin is tight, it has to be tapped out to open the upper. Put a Magpul MOE Grip on and a Mission First Tactical stock on it. Had no plan to buy another upper to complete things but............... PSA had a middy carbine with MOE Hand Guards on sale. No BCG or CH, but I got a deal of the day on the BCG, $69 on sale from $129. For now just a basic charging handle, I'll upgrade that when I recoup some of what I spent. Put a reflex on it along with the BUIS I took off the Radical once putting a dedicated reticle scope on that. Had it out to the range this morning and like the lighter weight of the mid length carbine. I will be putting a front grip on this one. I also have a couple speed loaders, two of the MA Loaders and one of the Bear Flag Defense loaders. For what it's worth if you decide to pick either of those up, the MA Loaders load easier but when you remove it it releases the bolt so a round gets chambered. The BFD doesn't trip the bolt to make it close the bolt chambering a round, but it's harder to load the rounds into the mag and works best with the Lancer Mags. Either is better/easier/faster than breaking the rifle open for every reload if you lock the mag in place.

Edited by DirtTime
spelling

I don't feed the trolls.

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

Looking pretty nice.

I went out to pick up a stripped lower a while back just to have a spare. Figured why not seeing no permit needed (as of yet) for just a part. Ended up buying a lower with the fire control system and a grip for $27 less then just the lower. Picked up an LBE Unlimited buffer kit complete with rear takedown pin assembly. The rear pin is tight, it has to be tapped out to open the upper. Put a Magpul MOE Grip on and a Mission First Tactical stock on it. Had no plan to buy another upper to complete things but............... PSA had a middy carbine with MOE Hand Guards on sale. No BCG or CH, but I got a deal of the day on the BCG, $69 on sale from $129. For now just a basic charging handle, I'll upgrade that when I recoup some of what I spent. Put a reflex on it along with the BUIS I took off the Radical once putting a dedicated reticle scope on that. Had it out to the range this morning and like the lighter weight of the mid length carbine. I will be putting a front grip on this one. I also have a couple speed loaders, two of the MA Loaders and one of the Bear Flag Defense loaders. For what it's worth if you decide to pick either of those up, the MA Loaders load easier but when you remove it it releases the bolt so a round gets chambered. The BFD doesn't trip the bolt to make it close the bolt chambering a round, but it's harder to load the rounds into the mag and works best with the Lancer Mags. Either is better/easier/faster than breaking the rifle open for every reload if you lock the mag in place.

Nice! The cross armory quick pins I think I'd pick over key ring easy pull rear pin setup. They give you shims to get proper alignment with the holes so the pins extract easy.

Pinning mag gives you lots of freedom. This build being for hunting I don't see a need for all the evil features except one. A muzzlebrake wouldn't be bad to have on a 450. Lol I'll have to decide to keep or leave it when I get everything for the upper half in hand.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

Nice! The cross armory quick pins I think I'd pick over key ring easy pull rear pin setup. They give you shims to get proper alignment with the holes so the pins extract easy.

Pinning mag gives you lots of freedom. This build being for hunting I don't see a need for all the evil features except one. A muzzlebrake wouldn't be bad to have on a 450. Lol I'll have to decide to keep or leave it when I get everything for the upper half in hand.

My first was/is set up for hunting. That's why I traded one of my shotguns for the Thordsen Gen III stock. That lasted 9 months before I decided to remove that stock. I just couldn't get used to it. The Radical is still set up for hunting, but the mag is fixed now and the only bells and whistles are the butt stock and pistol grip. I did add a rail to use a light on it for predator hunting, but not a fan of the light I bought only having battery life of 4 hours and costing $4 a battery.

I haven't decided on the charging handle yet, I don't need anything over the top, just something a little beefier than the basic I have now on the Anderson (forgot to sat that was the last lower I picked up). I like those speed loaders, no fuss or muss to load the rifles. Unloading is still a pain as you have to cycle the action to clear the rifle.

I don't feed the trolls.

Looking good boss! Wish I hadn't followed this thread cause now I really want to build another! Short range deer thumper.. Maybe just an upper and i can swap out for now lol I got my eyes on rugers new lightweight AR10s they're coming out with right now.. Would love to get back into an ar10 but eff that weight since ill be carrying it all through the night lol 

7 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Looking good boss! Wish I hadn't followed this thread cause now I really want to build another! Short range deer thumper.. Maybe just an upper and i can swap out for now lol I got my eyes on rugers new lightweight AR10s they're coming out with right now.. Would love to get back into an ar10 but eff that weight since ill be carrying it all through the night lol 

i'm surprised I have resisted the urge to get into an AR-10 build. enough offered in AR-15 platform to fit my needs so far has helped. Only reason i'd get into an AR-10 is more power than a 6.5 grendel at long range. coyotes and the like 6.5 grendel is plenty fine out to farther than I can reliably hit them. anything bigger like an AR-10 and it's lay down and long pokes, not walking with it. lol
even then you might as well go the non-milspec custom platform route, with a little less customization with few milspec parts, like NEMO Arms. they make an AR variant in 300 win mag. if they turn out one in 28 Nosler or any of the more efficient beltless mag cartridges then i might start sweating. lucky for me long range isn't really useful though and more for play. lol can shoot a deer pretty far out with a 6.5 grendel.

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'm surprised I have resisted the urge to get into an AR-10 build. enough offered in AR-15 platform to fit my needs so far has helped. Only reason i'd get into an AR-10 is more power than a 6.5 grendel at long range. coyotes and the like 6.5 grendel is plenty fine out to farther than I can reliably hit them. anything bigger like an AR-10 and it's lay down and long pokes, not walking with it. lol
even then you might as well go the non-milspec custom platform route, with a little less customization with few milspec parts, like NEMO Arms. they make an AR variant in 300 win mag. if they turn out one in 28 Nosler or any of the more efficient beltless mag cartridges then i might start sweating. lucky for me long range isn't really useful though and more for play. lol can shoot a deer pretty far out with a 6.5 grendel.

Yea i hear ya. Im just a huge fan of fast af! and flat! and you can get stupid fast and flat from the 10 platty. Not as much from the 15 platform. I believe my 22nosler will achieve the most fps if setup properly. and probably handloaded. AR i really only use for coyotes incase a quick follow up is needed. and or deer stalking/ still hunting. Plus can never have enough guns. 

53 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Yea i hear ya. Im just a huge fan of fast af! and flat! and you can get stupid fast and flat from the 10 platty. Not as much from the 15 platform. I believe my 22nosler will achieve the most fps if setup properly. and probably handloaded. AR i really only use for coyotes incase a quick follow up is needed. and or deer stalking/ still hunting. Plus can never have enough guns. 

Cuomo and mostly Hochul can thank themselves for my AR enjoyment. I always wanted them but I probably wouldn't have gotten into them without their actions of trying to ban them. They went from being low on the want list, to a need it now or may never have it situation.  then Biden stimulus bucks was icing on the cake to start paying for it. the thing is i know others that had done and/or will do the same. because of them i'm now in the "why not get just one more gun" camp.