IGNORED

Crowned Barrel AR15 Uppers?

DirtTime

I have been debating the idea is setting up a dedicated upper for target and range time, and setting it up featureless. But finding a complete upper with either no threads or crowned is proving impossible in my price range right now.

Have any of you come across complete uppers with either no threads on the barrel or already crowned? I'm looking to try and keep the price under $200.

I don't feed trolls.

7 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I have been debating the idea is setting up a dedicated upper for target and range time, and setting it up featureless. But finding a complete upper with either no threads or crowned is proving impossible in my price range right now.

Have any of you come across complete uppers with either no threads on the barrel or already crowned? I'm looking to try and keep the price under $200.

I’m happy to say what you’ve written is all Greek to me.   Lol

Never into them so I guess that saved me some money over the years, I knew something would.  :)

7 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Under $200 is tough. You can't even get a stripped upper for under 100 these days.

BCA and PSA both have $200 uppers, PSA doesn't come with BCG or charging handles most of the time. If I make a decision that's most likely what I'll end up with and just remove the flash hider and put a thread protector on.

I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone here has ever come across an upper already stupid act compliant that won't make me go in debt with a credit card.

I don't feed trolls.

49 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You can probably build one for that but finding a complete upper under 200$ is tough, finding one NY ready will be likely impossible.

I agree with this. Will probably need to have a little more than $200 in the budget to pull off what you are looking to do. Just take your time, and save up a little bit more. You'll get it!

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

BCA and PSA both have $200 uppers, PSA doesn't come with BCG or charging handles most of the time. If I make a decision that's most likely what I'll end up with and just remove the flash hider and put a thread protector on.

I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone here has ever come across an upper already stupid act compliant that won't make me go in debt with a credit card.

Just so you’re aware, a thread protector needs to be welded to be legal. If f you care. 

Posted (edited)

JB weld/Loctite Black is fine  or so say many shops who sell complete rifles. My radical isn't welded. Or one better would be silver solder.

I being patient here, the upper I want is on sale right now for under $200 with free shipping. But, I'm probably at minimum waiting until after we are moved and settle a bit. It will be a pretty nice house warming gift to me.

My Radical upper is set up for featureless with a thread protector, but I went from the spur, to the Thordsen Gen III to just fixing the mag in place. I have that set up for hunting and don't want to take the scope off that upper. My plan is to set something up with a spur again so while at the range or target shooting I can just swap magazines. Which will probably lead to a whole new lower down the road as well.

When I was told this platform is addictive and a huge rabbit hole I had no idea if that was true or not, but I do now. It's both.

Edited by DirtTime
grammer

I don't feed trolls.

typical uppers are with threaded barrels. getting one without typically is more money as it's a special run or a "liberal configuration tax" in my experience. all i did with a couple i have that are featureless are remove the flash hider or brake and install a thread protector that's bonded with stuff that requires elbow grease, lots of heat, and probably destroying the barrel and cap to get them apart.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

typical uppers are with threaded barrels. getting one without typically is more money as it's a special run or a "liberal configuration tax" in my experience. all i did with a couple i have that are featureless are remove the flash hider or brake and install a thread protector that's bonded with stuff that requires elbow grease, lots of heat, and probably destroying the barrel and cap to get them apart.

That silver solder stuff is no joke, but I'd rather not go quite that route.

The more I keep running this in my head, the more I roll different ideas around. I sort of wanted to go with an upper like I have from PSA with an MOE handguard because for target shooting I don't need a bunch of rails to add anything. But, then I considered just getting an upper from Bear Creek with rails and the flash hider, putting the hunting scope on that and putting a red dot on the Radical upper with the barrel already neutered with the thread protector. 

I don't feed trolls.

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

That silver solder stuff is no joke, but I'd rather not go quite that route.

The more I keep running this in my head, the more I roll different ideas around. I sort of wanted to go with an upper like I have from PSA with an MOE handguard because for target shooting I don't need a bunch of rails to add anything. But, then I considered just getting an upper from Bear Creek with rails and the flash hider, putting the hunting scope on that and putting a red dot on the Radical upper with the barrel already neutered with the thread protector. 

i've come to the personal conclusion that i no longer need a full length tacticool rail. keymod is dead and M-lok is king. MOE handguard is too minimalist. picatanny rails around the whole handguard is ridiculously over the top and too heavy. m-lok slots on a rail long enough to just clear the gas block is just right.

just don't plan on swapping uppers with lowers unless you know the pair will function 100% even if all milspec.

if SHTF a flash hider with a detachable mag would be nice but we live in NY and don't get that luxury normally granted under the 2nd amendment.

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've come to the personal conclusion that i no longer need a full length tacticool rail. keymod is dead and M-lok is king. MOE handguard is too minimalist. picatanny rails around the whole handguard is ridiculously over the top and too heavy. m-lok slots on a rail long enough to just clear the gas block is just right.

just don't plan on swapping uppers with lowers unless you know the pair will function 100% even if all milspec.

if SHTF a flash hider with a detachable mag would be nice but we live in NY and don't get that luxury normally granted under the 2nd amendment.

I agree about the rails, my .223/5.56 uppers are all slotted except the PSA which is MOE Middy with slots.

I know a lot of guys who swap uppers, same chambering and different. Mainly .300 BLK and 7.62x39. I had thought of going with a 7.62x39 a while back, but decided not to go down that path.

As for if SHTF? ..................................

I don't feed trolls.