IGNORED

For Those On Budgets

DirtTime

Those $19 hard shell rifle cases at WallyWorld aren't to bad. They are pretty sturdy, will hold a rifle or shotgun with a scope, and are long enough for most bird barreled shotguns. Are they going to hold up to driving over them with a bulldoze? NO. Can't use them for air travel either. But if you're like me and just need a case for transportation to and from hunting areas they should be fine. I have a case I paid 4X the price for and it's not as sturdy.

I don't feed trolls.

I use a soft sided case when just putting guns in my truck to go to hunting spots. Have never had any issues. I use the hard sided ones if traveling and they need to be locked. To bulky and heavy if just loading in back of truck to head 5 miles down the road or even a 2 hour drive to camp. 

28 minutes ago, boo711 said:

I use a soft sided case when just putting guns in my truck to go to hunting spots. Have never had any issues. I use the hard sided ones if traveling and they need to be locked. To bulky and heavy if just loading in back of truck to head 5 miles down the road or even a 2 hour drive to camp. 

Same here.  I've always used a soft case, so nothing has really changed. 

1 hour ago, boo711 said:

I totally misunderstood your post @DirtTime.  Sorry to throw it off course. 

No worries here man. With packing up to move I wanted at least one more case for relocating the boom sticks but didn't want to spend 50+ on a case, and even a decent soft case is around $40 these days, so I picked up one of those $19 ones. I was pretty surprised at the quality for the price point. So I just figured I'd let people know they aren't bad cases.

I don't feed trolls.

i've avoided having to get an air travel worthy rifle case so far. only driven to hunts from NW Oklahoma to Northern Maine. sometimes a cheap hard double gun case but most often soft cases. if you're not flying with it, I agree.

7 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've avoided having to get an air travel worthy rifle case so far. only driven to hunts from NW Oklahoma to Northern Maine. sometimes a cheap hard double gun case but most often soft cases. if you're not flying with it, I agree.

I have 5 that have flown…..3 aluminum and two plastic.

2 gun top load aluminum (gun stay up and down, not on their side) is great with one gun because I can cram a ton of gear in its empty space.

But the Pelican 1700 (for takedown guns) or the 1750 (for full length rifles) are by far my favorite. Honestly trying to skirt around saving a few bucks thinking Harbor Freight copy is the same is just a fools errand IMO.

My 1750 fell off a luggage trolly on the tarmac and got ran over leaving a set of tire tracks across it and a few scuffs.That  rifle shot a one hole 3 shot group when checked at destination. (I always check a rifle after travel)

And I use a cheapo Walmart hard  case to throw into the back seat when not flying also.

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Honestly trying to skirt around saving a few bucks thinking Harbor Freight copy is the same is just a fools errand IMO.

I really get what you’re saying and agree to a point . I bought some harbor freight ones , here’s one for my daughters gear , I’m very impressed at 1/4 the price of Pelican.

IMG_4527.jpeg

Another good reason for the hard shells is being able to lock them. In NY, better to be safe then sorry lately. Remember, if you are like me and hunt public land you are a lot more likely to bump into DEC, and if you stepped a little ways away from the vehicle to take a leak after or before a hunt you have technically left the firearm in your vehicle un-attended. Not worth the risk anymore.

I don't feed trolls.