IGNORED

Nuisance tag dilemma.

mowin

Landowner received 5 nuisance tags today.  They expire 4/15/24.  He wants me fill these.   I'm not comfortable doing so this time of year. I don't have the time this time of year to process 5 deer, let gutting a pregnant doe with twin fawns that are about fully devolved.  Knowing the fawns  suffocated, just isn't something sitting well with me.  

What would you do? 

Edited by mowin

I honestly hate nuisance tags. not knowing the reason they were issued, it seems odd to me to get them this time of year. you know why he gets them? what does he use the property for that he's protecting? typically they're issued well into summer and expiring before deer season here from what I've seen and that's for forest regen or ag crop damage. typically the goal is to reduce localized population and associated damage. they called deer damage permits. how can you effectively lower the population with not easily identifying if you're shooting a buck or a doe? bucks inherently will die so you'd be wasting a tag on them.  we get DMAP tags filed under custom deer management to keep the deer numbers in check and balance passing youngest of bucks. those are different and used during deer season, just like over the counter DMP doe tags.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I honestly hate nuisance tags. not knowing the reason they were issued, it seems odd to me to get them this time of year. you know why he gets them? what does he use the property for that he's protecting? typically they're issued well into summer and expiring before deer season here from what I've seen and that's for forest regen or ag crop damage. typically the goal is to reduce localized population and associated damage. they called deer damage permits. how can you effectively lower the population with not easily identifying if you're shooting a buck or a doe? bucks inherently will die so you'd be wasting a tag on them.  we get DMAP tags filed under custom deer management to keep the deer numbers in check and balance passing youngest of bucks. those are different and used during deer season, just like over the counter DMP doe tags.

Theses are to minimize crop damage.  He grows Rye and barley for his distillery.  I get the reasoning, shoot 5 doe now, and you potentially removed 15 deer from eating your crops.  Yes, not all doe will have twins and a buck might be taken, but I understand the thinking behind it.  

I just had a chat with him, and being a non hunter, didn't realize the doe were that far along and understood why I'm not on board with this.  He's going to reach out to the DEC guy he's been dealing with and see if we can get some early fall tags.  

Edited by mowin

If you’re not comfortable for the reasons you stated, I’d tell the landowner why. Chances are he or she never considered the twin fawns most any does will be carrying. Then tell that person that you will be happy to step up your fall hunting on the local does and help that way. If the landowner is obtaining the permits but not shooting the deer themselves, they may not ever think about what they are asking you to do on their behalf. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

5 minutes ago, mowin said:

Theses are to minimize crop damage.  He grows Rye and barley for his distillery.  I get the reasoning, shoot 5 doe now, and you potentially removed 15 deer from eating your crops.  Yes, not all doe will have twins and a buck might be taken, but I understand the thinking behind it.  

I just had a chat with him, and being a non hunter, didn't realize the doe were that far along and understood why I'm not on board with this.  He's going to reach out to the DEC guy he's been dealing with and see if we can get some early fall tags.  

just ask to extend the active permit to expire before the season starts. even then you'll be shooting doe that have fawns with spots. will be okay if part of a doe family group with other deer. don't need milk as much if into late august and september. still a dilema I'm thinking? might be what DEC would offer anyway. it makes sense why DEC gave them now though. spring green up has cereal grains like that getting hammered if they're planted and starting to emerge. intent was to reduce deer numbers before it happens. outside of heading off the damage before it starts, DMAPs are good because people are already out hunting during the open season and less worry about fawns not making it.

45 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

If you’re not comfortable for the reasons you stated, I’d tell the landowner why. Chances are he or she never considered the twin fawns most any does will be carrying. Then tell that person that you will be happy to step up your fall hunting on the local does and help that way. If the landowner is obtaining the permits but not shooting the deer themselves, they may not ever think about what they are asking you to do on their behalf. 

Had the conversation with him and he isn't comfortable with the timing once I explained it to him. 

I told him if he finds someone that is willing to shoot them now, I wouldn't blame him for going that route, but that guy isn't me.  

I do understand the need to take out doe's at this time of year to help prevent crop damage. But for the reasons you stated, I don't think I could do it with a clear conscience either. I was perhaps more of a hard a$$ in my younger days. But now I'm just an old softy. Hopefully in the early fall, you can take out more doe's to help the landowner.

21 minutes ago, grampy said:

I do understand the need to take out doe's at this time of year to help prevent crop damage. But for the reasons you stated, I don't think I could do it with a clear conscience either. I was perhaps more of a hard a$$ in my younger days. But now I'm just an old softy. Hopefully in the early fall, you can take out more doe's to help the landowner.

Ya, I thought too myself if I was in my 20's, but even then, I don't think I would have.  We're hoping DEC is willing to work with us for fall tags.  I know I can get several people on board to pop a early doe or two. 

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Ya, I thought too myself if I was in my 20's, but even then, I don't think I would have.  We're hoping DEC is willing to work with us for fall tags.  I know I can get several people on board to pop a early doe or two. 

Oh but think of how tender them backstraps would be....

7 hours ago, mowin said:

Landowner received 5 nuisance tags today.  They expire 4/15/24.  He wants me fill these.   I'm not comfortable doing so this time of year. I don't have the time this time of year to process 5 deer, let gutting a pregnant doe with twin fawns that are about fully devolved.  Knowing the fawns  suffocated, just isn't something sitting well with me.  

What would you do? 

I'll do it if you want 

4 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I'm with ya @mowin no way could I do it knowing they are carrying babies right now that are 2ish months away from being born. Gutting a pregnant doe this time of year would give me nightmares and probably scare me for life. 

It's called a c section 

30 minutes ago, Chef said:

I'll do it if you want 

I wouldn't think any less of someone that would or could do it, but after explaining everything , even the landowner is against taking deer this time of year.