IGNORED

Nys so far behind....

Pennsylvania releasing Bob white quail to re introduce the species, same as they have done with elk...  nys  seems to  do  nothing  in restoring wildlife that was native to the state and prefers a natural approach ( let them walk or fly here)

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/bobwhite-quail-returns-to-pennsylvania/?fbclid=IwAR0_pyAc0HG_9CNXYTcCpeADMOvdbdT_CnUjrApUf59LuOjw20TR4XnlWFE

Everyone know NY gov is only thinking about what is best for the people.  No need to spend good money on wildlife when they can spend it elsewhere where it can be more beneficial. 

Its a nice effort, but likely they wont take. The article doesn't say if the birds released are wild birds or not. If they're pen raised birds, there's no a chance they'll make it. If they're wild, there's a small chance they'll be around for a few seasons. Farming practices and habitat have changed so much that I don't think we'll ever see another self sustaining population again. I think they'd be better off focusing on ruffed grouse. 

Part of what makes NY hard to manage is the forever wild bs in the Adirondacks, Catskills and other state parks. If they would log those parks, we'd have a thriving grouse, deer and turkey population in those areas again. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

12 hours ago, G-man said:

Pennsylvania releasing Bob white quail to re introduce the species, same as they have done with elk...  nys  seems to  do  nothing  in restoring wildlife that was native to the state and prefers a natural approach ( let them walk or fly here)

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/bobwhite-quail-returns-to-pennsylvania/?fbclid=IwAR0_pyAc0HG_9CNXYTcCpeADMOvdbdT_CnUjrApUf59LuOjw20TR4XnlWFE

In DEC defense, they did restore turkey to Long Island and there is now a hunting season for them.  Sadly, that is the only example I am aware of.

29 minutes ago, Mike103 said:

If wild bobwhite quail are in short supply throughout their range where would they get these wild quail to release??

There are states with ample bobwhite populations. They would capture the birds and sell them like WI sold MO ruffed grouse a couple years ago

8 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

There are states with ample bobwhite populations. They would capture the birds and sell them like WI sold MO ruffed grouse a couple years ago

Interesting. I was under the impression that quail numbers were low everywhere. I know Florida, Georgia and the Carolina’s are having issues I thought it was the same all over. 

We made quail available this year for the first time at our club. While the dog was working a hawk flew down and grabbed a quail in front of us. 

Down on Long Iskand the birds of prey are way too numerous. 

3 hours ago, Mike103 said:

Interesting. I was under the impression that quail numbers were low everywhere. I know Florida, Georgia and the Carolina’s are having issues I thought it was the same all over. 

We made quail available this year for the first time at our club. While the dog was working a hawk flew down and grabbed a quail in front of us. 

Down on Long Iskand the birds of prey are way too numerous. 

All states are seeing declines from peak populations 30-50 years back, but some still have healthy population of bobwhites. KS is the first state that comes to mind with a healthy quail population. 

Which club are you a part of? Long island pointing dog club?

Habitat,Hawks , Owls and now Eagles are with out a doubt the main culprits to why wild birds do not exist. I have Chukar, Bobwhites,  Pheasants, and pigeons. And Hawks everywhere! Hell this guy decided to go right through the trap door of my pigeon coop to kill!20221203_111111.thumb.jpg.032b6205fb4eafcda9cccef6e2073131.jpg

Edited by GRIFF-POINT

Just now, GRIFF-POINT said:

Habitat,Hawks , Owls and now Eagles are with out a doubt the main culprits to why wild birds do not exist. I have Chukar, Bobwhites,  Pheasants, and pigeons. And Hawks everywhere!

Habitat is the main culprit. These birds evolved around these predators (w/ pheasants being a possible exception), so that would leave habitat as being the most important. Some areas will just never see a resurgence of wild birds like pheasants in NY. 

13 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Fisher, coon, bobcat, coyote, opossum, hawk, owl blah blah blah need something to feed on……lol

i've read white papers and listened to smart biologists tell me this is understood. stealing this for Dr Marcus Lashley, but people act like it's the "diagnosis and not a symptom" when really it's the other way around. upland game birds and turkey are disappearing because of predominance of monoculture like habitat for ag or other habitat that's heavy in thick grass or a barren understory in woods. habitat supports predators more than birds. turkeys on our farm slowly took a shitter until opportunity was pathetic. we'd raised pheasants as a kid and none ever really survived after release. we have a lot of hay fields too as that's what we have farmed for. fast forward to more recent years it's noticeably different. we did TSI on a couple hundred acres, that now have an understory loaded with forbes and cover for nesting. other stuff done, but we're seeing more turkey poults and other stuff like grouse. can't burn here but other states can and that helps bring back native stuff dormant in the dirt.