IGNORED

Tip Ups No Bites

EsoxManiac

Whenever I go out on the ice whether its Conesus or Braddock Bay Despite being in the same area as everyone else I have only had 1 fish and 1 hit & run the past several years I have gone out and was wondering if anyone had some ideas why i have been using either 20lb mono or silver steel leaders or tied direct (got my only fish this way)  and am about to try 20lb fluorocarbon 

7 minutes ago, EsoxManiac said:

Whenever I go out on the ice whether its Conesus or Braddock Bay Despite being in the same area as everyone else I have only had 1 fish and 1 hit & run the past several years I have gone out and was wondering if anyone had some ideas why i have been using either 20lb mono or silver steel leaders or tied direct (got my only fish this way)  and am about to try 20lb fluorocarbon 

What what you fishing for? 

I run as light of a fluorocarbon leader as I can get away with depending what I'm fishing for. For instance if I'm targeting perch I will use a 4lb leader. Also you'll want to have an idea of what depth the fish you are targeting are likely to be. Bottom? Mid level? Up top under the ice? Use a "sounder" a clip on weight to determine depth. The make your set accordingly. If no bites, adjust the depth a bit up or down until you get to the sweet spot, and start to see flags fly. With tip up's you will usually have some type of live bait. Be sure to check your sets periodically to see if your bait is alive and well.

Just a couple basic tips here. Hope it helps?

Posted (edited)

Pike

i have set usually about half way in the water column though i vary them from 1-2' at braddock because its 4'fow and 4-6' at Conesus 

Edited by EsoxManiac

18 minutes ago, EsoxManiac said:

Pike

i have set usually about half way in the water column though i vary them from 1-2' at braddock because its 4'fow and 4-6' at Conesus 

I've had plenty of success with pike setting just a foot below the ice in shallow water.

If your using large minnows try a double hook system. Pike will often smack a bait then swallow it after. They might just be knocking it off your line...

Screenshot_20240408-104610.png

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

If your using large minnows try a double hook system. Pike will often smack a bait then swallow it after. They might just be knocking it off your line...

Screenshot_20240408-104610.png

Honestly i never had luck with the bigger minnows and all my success has been bass minnows also the bait remains untouched 

i also dont use trebles as it usually leads to more problems for me

i hook them through the back as pike grab them their first then turn it to eat head first

Edited by EsoxManiac

Just now, EsoxManiac said:

Honestly i never had luck with the bigger minnows and all my success has been bass minnows also the bait remains untouched 

i also dont use trebles as it usually leads to more problems for me

The one hook on the treble is bent out to go into the fish's tail can also cut one of the other hooks off..  

I haven't used bait for Pike in years but these rigs worked well.  I don't like to use bait as they often take it deep.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson