IGNORED

Hunting lease cost

Just Curious what other guys are paying for leases per acre I have one with several other guys and the price keeps getting risen last three years to just over $23 an acre now not great hunting mostly open hardwoods and no food plots allowed or upgrading of property. I think its getting too high to pay that price its just over 200acres

The thing is though 200+ acres to buy would be 350-400k. Land has gone up so leases are sure to as well.  Always very thankful for what I have...

Dunno if your in a group or not but maybe bring in another trusted person to go in on it to lessen the expenses?  

Land for sale across from my lease is 58 acres and is listed for $230k.  Crazy.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

53 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The thing is though 200+ acres to buy would be 350-400k. Land has gone up so leases are sure to as well.  Always very thankful for what I have...

Dunno if your in a group or not but maybe bring in another trusted person to go in on it to lessen the expenses?  

200 acres in my area will cost you around 1 mill. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have a place and hunt  in the finger lakes. Land down there is crazy   Had a 241 acre piece very close to where I hunt sell  for $1.5 mill about 5 years ago. A 10 acre piece  sold a couple weeks ago for $115k   Had one guy pay $499k for a single wide trailer on the water, .16 of an acre piece. 1 week after closing he had it torn down and built a 4 bedroom 3 bath log cabin. Since piece was so small he built up. 4 levels. Top 2 are bedrooms. Crazy. Place did come out amazing though. 

49 minutes ago, mowin said:

200 acres in my area will cost you around 1 mill. 

Yes def higher in a lot of places.  And even the number I was at was a minimum for land that cannot be developed.  Makes the lease price look better at least a little.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yes def higher in a lot of places.  And even the number I was at was a minimum for land that cannot be developed.  Makes the lease price look better at least a little.  

Happy i found a place where it is lower. Got 200 acres for 280k.

I think it all depends what you want out of a lease. I would rather hunt stateland than pay for a lease.

15 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Happy i found a place where it is lower. Got 200 acres for 280k.

I think it all depends what you want out of a lease. I would rather hunt stateland than pay for a lease.

You def got a good deal esp these days.  Place I lease is an amazing deal but I also cut all the trails for the owner, clean out the pond drains, cut the brush back, etc. and he trusts me as we've known each other for years.  

I used to hunt state land and have permission to hunt a couple properties as well. Just pends on what's in the area and what is affordable.  If I lived in Northern tier I would certainly just hunt state land.  But my lease is 6 minutes from my house.  

If I lost my spot for some reason I would prob hunt northern tier a lot more.   

Yeah the kicker is the piece I lease borders the property i own so two fold gives me more entry points and keeps trespassers off  mine as well. God knows land prices to buy are getting higher every day its at least 3x  since i bought my piece .  I just dont see where the lease property taxes went up last few yrs yet they just keep bumping lease  up and up. I guess if they can get that kinda of money for it cant blame them ,  not sure if ill re-new it this yr , time will tell

I just checked my recent tax bills on my 45 acres of hunting land here in the finger Lakes and I paid $1808 for the 2023 school and 2024 town taxes for two parcels.  This would equate to about $40 an acre lease price just to cover taxes if you were to include insurance it’s more yet.  

I currently have two parcels one for 15 acres and the other for 30.  The one for 15 is currently assessed at 15,000 and the assessor wants to raise it to 48,000 the 30 acres is assessed at 41,000 and they want to raise it to 78,000 so double my land assessment.  This is being driven by comparable sales in my town around me for higher per dollar per acre prices.  Though there are others that are for less so will try to fight this    

So 23 an acre is not awfully bad but I don’t know what you get in terms of return or use but prices are definitely going up.    

On 4/20/2024 at 12:00 PM, Big Paul said:

If I leased my land for $23 an acre, that would cover my property tax but not my school tax. I've never leased any land so i'm not sure what the rate would be in my area. 

Agree, we pay the Ag rate on taxes and that would give us a little profit . Farmers are paying upwards of $70 an acre to rent ground to farm btw .

Edited by Nomad