IGNORED

Interesting laws on camera on State land

G-man

So on another site this topic came  up..  apparently dec told someone cameras are illegal on State land..  quick look  on laws and regulation can be construed as scientific instruments..  so seems  like they are illegal ...

Per regilations   a  camera  would be a scientific equipment  for a population  study so technically yes they are  illegal   (  https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Document/I21ee87ebc22211ddb7c8fb397c5bd26b?transitionType=Default&contextData=%28sc.Default%29 )(ad) 

No person shall sponsor, conduct or participate in any research project on State lands except under permit from the department. Examples of research include, but are not limited to, population studies, collection of scientific samples, placement of scientific instruments, seismic exploration and archaeological studies. This subdivision shall not apply to bird population data collection such as, but not limited, to Audubon Christmas Bird Count, the USGS Breeding Bird Survey and Cornell Lab of Ornithology's e-Bird database; nor shall it apply to any other research exempted by the department in writing on a case by case basis.

2 hours ago, broomeguy said:

Interesting. Not sure if scouting qualifies as a population study. I think I'm guilty of section g... stepped on many plants while hunting. Oops. 

Would you not be trying to find a population of game?  Bucks  , does??  

Removing anything from stateland is illegal to. Including mushrooms. Blueberries, rocks, twigs, and all gold belongs to NY. Also make sure to nock all debris off your boots and not take it with you.

Edited by lucky118

11 hours ago, G-man said:

So on another site this topic came  up..  apparently dec told someone cameras are illegal on State land..  quick look  on laws and regulation can be construed as scientific instruments..  so seems  like they are illegal ...

Per regilations   a  camera  would be a scientific equipment  for a population  study so technically yes they are  illegal   (  https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Document/I21ee87ebc22211ddb7c8fb397c5bd26b?transitionType=Default&contextData=%28sc.Default%29 )(ad) 

No person shall sponsor, conduct or participate in any research project on State lands except under permit from the department. Examples of research include, but are not limited to, population studies, collection of scientific samples, placement of scientific instruments, seismic exploration and archaeological studies. This subdivision shall not apply to bird population data collection such as, but not limited, to Audubon Christmas Bird Count, the USGS Breeding Bird Survey and Cornell Lab of Ornithology's e-Bird database; nor shall it apply to any other research exempted by the department in writing on a case by case basis.

Guess I'm counting birds. 😆 

2 minutes ago, lucky118 said:

Guess I'm counting birds. 😆 

Plus you can't store anything  on State land leaving it unattended  would be littering and illegal as well

You can leave tree stands and ground blinds in state forests as long as you have a tag with your personal information on it like address and phone number.

This new trail cams are bad thing is about as silly as willingly hitting your hand with a hammer.

I don't feed trolls.

8 hours ago, G-man said:

Would you not be trying to find a population of game?  Bucks  , does??  

Yes but not in a scientific way as presented by the language in the literature you referenced. The number of cameras used by most hunters aren't enough for a population study anyways IMO. 

I'd say that's a pretty wild stretch to say a few trail cameras owned by one person can be considered a scientific study. Could they give you a ticket and take you to court, yeah of course. Could they win in court? Doubt it. 

27 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

You can leave tree stands and ground blinds in state forests as long as you have a tag with your personal information on it like address and phone number.

This new trail cams are bad thing is about as silly as willingly hitting your hand with a hammer.

We have to have a tag on them? Lock me up I guess 

27 minutes ago, broomeguy said:

Yes but not in a scientific way as presented by the language in the literature you referenced. The number of cameras used by most hunters aren't enough for a population study anyways IMO. 

A trail camera is a scientific instrument.  That's what they were originally designed and used for..  it's vague  but in nys and  liberal interpretation  my guess is a ticket would stick

14 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I'd say that's a pretty wild stretch to say a few trail cameras owned by one person can be considered a scientific study. Could they give you a ticket and take you to court, yeah of course. Could they win in court? Doubt it. 

In nys with liberal judges  who don't like hunters I bet it would stick  and be a worse crime than all these arrests  with parole, prolly  get.locked  up..

2 minutes ago, G-man said:

A trail camera is a scientific instrument.  That's what they were originally designed and used for..  it's vague  but in nys and  liberal interpretation  my guess is a ticket would stick

How would they be able to identify the owner?

Palma non sine pulvere