IGNORED

Ammo Availability

Mike103

I’m still in Florida. Coming home Tuesday to hunt LI and then upstate for the first weekend.

I’ve been visiting all the local Walmarts, Bass Pro and small shops and with  few exceptions, .410 shells, it looks like the ammo shortage is almost over. 

Amazing how many different calibers, except pistol and 223, are readily available at almost any Walmart that I visit.

And the non lead ammo selection is huge. Copper rifle ammo and steel shotgun ammo for hunting and target. 

They even have buckshot and mini shotgun shells that you seldom see. 

I know not a lot of help for New Yorkers but a good sign in general. And prices have come down a bit. Not huge but some. 

This summer is a great time to visit PA and do some shopping. 

I was at the Bass Pro Shop in St. Lucie last weekend.  A lot more ammo on their shelves.  I actually found 2 boxes of 300 Savage.  Felt like I hit the lottery until I looked at the price tag($62 a box).  Bought them any way- the rifle is useless with out the bullet. 

17 hours ago, hvny said:

I was at the Bass Pro Shop in St. Lucie last weekend.  A lot more ammo on their shelves.  I actually found 2 boxes of 300 Savage.  Felt like I hit the lottery until I looked at the price tag($62 a box).  Bought them any way- the rifle is useless with out the bullet. 

If you reload I have 300 Savage dies 

410 shells have been always hard to come by since covid. biggest issue isn't availability now but price and now all that money is going to Czech banks. They bought out Vista Outdoors whole ammo mfg assets like CCI, Remington, Federal, etc

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

410 shells have been always hard to come by since covid. biggest issue isn't availability now but price and now all that money is going to Czech banks. They bought out Vista Outdoors whole ammo mfg assets like CCI, Remington, Federal, etc

That deal was never finalized. There is even  new deal on the table with an American company. 

53 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Friends of mine went down to PA for work. While they where there I had when check out a couple of places for 44 mag ammo. No such luck at the stores they stopped at. 

I know the background checks are not popular but both target sports and midway will ship to a FFL in NY. 

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

March 25 (Reuters) - Investment firm MNC Capital said on Monday it has raised its all-cash bid to acquire Vista Outdoor (VSTO.N), opens new tab to $3 billion from $2.90 billion.
Shares of the sporting and outdoor products maker closed up 3% at $33.30 on Monday.
MNC Capital is offering $37.50 per share for all of Vista's shares, up from its earlier bid of $35. The new offer represents a premium of 16% to Vista's close on Friday.
Vista Outdoor confirmed it has received the updated offer.

The Anoka, Minnesota-headquartered company had rebuffed MNC Capital's earlier offer, stating the bid "significantly undervalued" Vista.
Vista is in the process of selling its sporting goods business to privately held Czech defense and civil manufacturing firm Czechoslovak Group (CSG) in a $1.91 billion deal announced last October.
The New York Times DealBook was the first to report on MNC Capital's improved offer.

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Friends of mine went down to PA for work. While they where there I had when check out a couple of places for 44 mag ammo. No such luck at the stores they stopped at. 

What load are you looking for ?

1 hour ago, Mike103 said:

I know the background checks are not popular but both target sports and midway will ship to a FFL in NY. 

It’s the hassle. Order online. Maybe pay extra for shipping the. Drive 25-30 min to a store. Now if I’m delayed I’m driving home empty handed only to have to return again when I’m approved. 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

What load are you looking for ?

I was just looking for target loads right now. Something cheap just so I can get use to the gun. Shooting that pistol is so different from a rifle I need the practice. 

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Everything in 44 cal is hard to find I reload it's hard finding 44 cal projectiles I can find Speer 240gr deep curl or 270gr deep curl.

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

Everything in 44 cal is hard to find I reload it's hard finding 44 cal projectiles I can find Speer 240gr deep curl or 270gr deep curl.

I’ll probably start getting supplies to reload the 44 as well. I’ll be starting from scratch for the cal. 

32 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

It’s the hassle. Order online. Maybe pay extra for shipping the. Drive 25-30 min to a store. Now if I’m delayed I’m driving home empty handed only to have to return again when I’m approved. 

I understand. This whole thing sucks.

If you lived on LI I would bring it home for you. 

We live in a state governed by idiots.