Jump to content
IGNORED

Someone claimed I poached his bird.


Recommended Posts

After seeing birds on a property I can hunt and moving around them and setting up several times, before one broke free and my cousin shot, we were confronted by another hunter saying we poached his bird. 

Now, we never set foot on another property, and the bird was spotted and shot on the property I can hunt.  We were sitting only 30 yards from the border, and the bird was 35 yards further into the field I hunt. We had no clue someone was hunting the adjacent property and never heard any calling.  In the hour or more I worked those birds they never advanced towards where the other hunter claimed he was sitting, and basically stayed in the same spot in this 40 acre field. This guy was furious and kept referring to "his" bird. And I let him call it to us. I kept my cool, until he threatened to call encon, and then I basically told him to f off.  Ironically, the encon officers land borders the property I hunt, lol.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That sucks. I hate when hunters do that to others. What he means, of course, is he anticipated that the bird would work to his calls and come onto his property until your cousin’s gun went boom. You have to tip your hat to the other hunter and find a new bird to pursue is all. No need to confront the other hunters who did nothing wrong. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

That sucks. I hate when hunters do that to others. What he means, of course, is he anticipated that the bird would work to his calls and come onto his property until your cousin’s gun went boom. You have to tip your hat to the other hunter and find a new bird to pursue is all. No need to confront the other hunters who did nothing wrong. 

It's been bothering me all morning that he called us poachers.  Did I spot the birds from the road, yes, but I drove 15 minutes to go get my cousin and 15 back.  They were within 30 yrs of where I seen them a half hour ago, and more than 100 yards from the border.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mowin said:

It's been bothering me all morning that he called us poachers.  Did I spot the birds from the road, yes, but I drove 15 minutes to go get my cousin and 15 back.  They were within 30 yrs of where I seen them a half hour ago, and more than 100 yards from the border.  

You did nothing wrong. When you have had some time away from it, maybe reach out and set the record straight with the guy. First lip he gives you, turn and leave. It’s not worth splitting his lip open on your closed fist even if that’s what your mind is screaming at the moment.  But maybe he will see you did nothing wrong. 

"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Anonymous 

 

https://www.troutscapes.com

https://nativefishcoalition.org/national-board

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That sucks but don't let it ruin an otherwise great day. 

Last year there was a guy hunting on the property next to me.  He shot and missed a bird in the woods he was hunting and he walked out to the field and we talked about it after.  Then two days later I dropped a bird and he came out and congratulated me.  We were both kinda rooting for each other and that day the birds just came my way.   Hell I can't even remember his name but liked minded folks.  You just ran into a frustrated fella today that thought he was on a bird and was disappointed.  Hopefully he realizes he was an ass about it later.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those are the breaks.  You did nothing wrong.  You spotted a bird and hunted it where you legally could.  Just because this guy was set up on an adjacent piece and also calling doesn't mean it's "his" or anyone's bird.  It's whoever shoots it legally first.  Just because you get a gobbler to answer from 100s of yards away to a call doesn't mean it's "yours".  

To the guy calling you a poacher, too bad you couldn't send him this GIF:

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No such thing as "MY" bird until "YOU" kill it!

I've been cut off by other hunters on state land. And I have inadvertently cut off other hunters on state land. It happens. Just keep safe, and go on to the next hunt.

But On private, or my own land, if someone on the bordering land gets cut off, too bad so sad. Especially if I didn't know they were there!! 

I think the guy was just chewing sour grapes, because he didn't shoot a bird and you guys did. No poaching involved here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

You did nothing wrong. When you have had some time away from it, maybe reach out and set the record straight with the guy. First lip he gives you, turn and leave. It’s not worth splitting his lip open on your closed fist even if that’s what your mind is screaming at the moment.  But maybe he will see you did nothing wrong. 

I would never think about hitting him.  I'm a lover, not a fighter. Lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, grampy said:

No such thing as "MY" bird until "YOU" kill it!

I've been cut off by other hunters on state land. And I have inadvertently cut off other hunters on state land. It happens. Just keep safe, and go on to the next hunt.

But On private, or my own land, if someone on the bordering land gets cut off, too bad so sad. Especially if I didn't know they were there!! 

I think the guy was just chewing sour grapes, because he didn't shoot a bird and you guys did. No poaching involved here.

 Yeah True above. Just last week in Jersey 2 young Guys started to call between  me and the Gobbler coming to my calls.  Next they tried to walk behind my position. I call out Hunter. They stop and talk 40 yards away and walk fast up the Ridge just out of sight and start calling on that Tube again. 

 No one got that Bird. But he was coming right to me initially. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, nywaw said:

Those are the breaks.  You did nothing wrong.  You spotted a bird and hunted it where you legally could.  Just because this guy was set up on an adjacent piece and also calling doesn't mean it's "his" or anyone's bird.  It's whoever shoots it legally first.  Just because you get a gobbler to answer from 100s of yards away to a call doesn't mean it's "yours".  

To the guy calling you a poacher, too bad you couldn't send him this GIF:

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

  This happens alot on Public. Often 2 Hunters have no idea the other is there until he shoots .

  Sometimes though- it can be on purpose. 

  Years back,I was on State Land in New York and set up. 2 men see me at the Rockwall and start jogging to the next field in front of me. 

   The Gobbler is coming to my calls and,I hear Hen calling advancing up the Rockwall quick.

  I had an easy shot. Instead,I stood up and Spooked the Gobbler to the next County.  I knew a Confrontation  was coming with 2 Men when they would walk up to my Dead Gobbler. 

 

 

 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just curious- do you know each other? Do you have history with him? Not taking his side but just trying to see if I can figure out  why he reacted the way he did. Maybe he saw you driving the road, grab another hunter, park, set up and kill the bird that he's been watching in the woods since pre sunrise and was upset a "road hunter" took his bird(silly concept). Again-not taking his side or blaming you as you did nothing wrong...

At that point I would have welcomed an ECON officer to make that guy feel like a crybaby!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Just curious- do you know each other? Do you have history with him? Not taking his side but just trying to see if I can figure out  why he reacted the way he did. Maybe he saw you driving the road, grab another hunter, park, set up and kill the bird that he's been watching in the woods since pre sunrise and was upset a "road hunter" took his bird(silly concept). Again-not taking his side or blaming you as you did nothing wrong...

At that point I would have welcomed an ECON officer to make that guy feel like a crybaby!!!

I've never met this guy before. Older guy like myself.  If he was sitting where he claims, he could see the birds, but was probably 150y away.  We came in from the opposite side and never went past him.  Basically, for over 2 hrs, those birds didn't advance towards him at all.  When I got the one to break from the group, we had snuck within 80 yards, and when shot, that bird was no closer to him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...