IGNORED

DIY calf hutch deer blind

Posted (edited)

Has anyone tried making a ground blind using a calf hutch? I've been thinking about this for awhile as it seems more durable than a pop up blind. I have a few rhino blinds and it's always a nuisance to have to spend an afternoon setting them up and taking them back out at the end of the season. 

I could get a hutch for $50.. clean it. Then the idea would be to set it on a short framed wall (maybe 2 ft?) to give it a little more head room.  I could cut in windows where needed. I'm not sure if I'd try to fabricate a door or just leave it open. I'd wrap the framed knee wall with plywood and then paint the whole thing. It wouldn't be fancy by any means, but seems like a fun little project to build a new blind.  

Here's an idea of what I have in mind. You'll have to excuse the crude drawing, I'm not an artist. 

image.png.be4e2150ffd45d03dbf422314a793a71.png

calf 1.PNG

calf 2.PNG

calf 3.PNG

Edited by Bolt Action
typo

Why not.  I've seen pics of IBC totes made into ground blinds. They stacked one upside down on the bottom one and cut in a back door and some shooting windows.  Not sure how they had them latched together, but that's simple enough.  Set of forks on the tractor and you can move it around easily. No forks, easy enough to tip it onto the truck or trailer. 

12 minutes ago, Bolt Action said:

Has anyone tried making a ground blind using a calf hutch? I've been thinking about this for awhile as it seems more durable than a pop up blind. I have a few rhino blinds and it's always a nuisance to have to spend an afternoon setting them up and taking them back out at the end of the season. 

I could get a hutch for $50.. clean it. Then the idea would be to set it on a short framed wall (maybe 2 ft?) to give it a little more head room.  I could cut in windows where needed. I'm not sure if I'd try to fabricate a door or just leave it open. I'd wrap the framed knee wall with plywood and then paint the whole thing. It wouldn't be fancy by any means, but seems like a fun little project to build a new blind.  

Here's an idea of what I have in mind. You'll have to excuse the crude drawing, I'm not an artist. 

calf 1.PNG

calf 2.PNG

calf 3.PNG

Really great idea!!!   :up:

25 minutes ago, The Back 40 said:

I find myself looking at truck caps for sale by the side of the road.

You too? I thought it was just me...

I always thought the windows would be to close to the ceiling with a truck cap though.

Posted (edited)

Construction style truck caps are the best.  The fold out sides make great rain/sun covers and the ladder racks support an “open air” upper deck.  I hunt the upper deck, unless it’s raining, because it’s nice not having any “blind spots”. 
IMG_3824.thumb.jpeg.01851bc9653955d2ae6d583a21199c7b.jpeg

Regular caps work ok on a short wall up on stilts, but definitely benefit from adding fold up plywood window shades, because those sliding glass windows freeze up in cold weather.

IMG_2972.thumb.jpeg.a5df3dcee6add9dd8591380c90fee560.jpegA nice thing about the truck cap blinds, is that they are maintenance free and hold up to gale force winds.  I’ve also never had to pay a dime for one because folks  are always throwing away old truck caps.  

They also don’t seem to scare the deer, even the mature bucks.  I’ve taken a few from that top one.  

Edited by Wolc123

5 hours ago, Bolt Action said:

calf 1.PNG

calf 2.PNG

calf 3.PNG

Sou ds like a great idea.  Judging by  all the hutches I've seen blown to the fence lines on a few farms, make sure it is attached to the frame and ground well. 😉

More than once I thought to myself, " I hope the calf is tied to a stake not the hutch" otherwise it would have been a rough trip

hot in those things but it'd work if you gave yourself enough height. they lasted forever when my grandparents had them on their dairy farm and none i remember being kicked around for repurposing. if it's what you have at your disposal i say have at it.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ncountry said:

Sou ds like a great idea.  Judging by  all the hutches I've seen blown to the fence lines on a few farms, make sure it is attached to the frame and ground well. 😉

More than once I thought to myself, " I hope the calf is tied to a stake not the hutch" otherwise it would have been a rough trip

on the grandparents dairy farm they were staked down with a small area fenced in outside them. calves weren't tied up to anything, just within the fence and hutch.

welded wire fencing for clarification. not strands of electric fence that needed power or that calves could stumble into and walk through.

Edited by dbHunterNY