IGNORED

If New York Ever Goes To A Sundown Closure In The Last Week Of May- Would You Go Out?

I sure would!  I would probably  use my favorite Fall Turkey Time to be afield- From 3pm to 5pm. There is something about the " Shadows" developing in the Hardwoods that keep you hidden even when walking slow. 

Very Peaceful Too. Alot of Reflecting gets done.

I guaran-Ass- T alot of Men here who try like Hell to Bag a Gobbler in the traditional times- 1/2 Hour before Sunrise to Noon and often can't would be filling at least 1 of their Tags.

My next trip down to New Jersey will be in their last- D/Week Segment starting next Monday and lasting  for 2/ 5- weekday segments. I plan to drive down around 2 pm sometime  next week- big my " D" Turkey Permit and hit the woods.

So-- Who here would enjoy the opportunity  to hunt till Sundown for Spring Gobblers in New York during the last week of May if this archaic reg of a 12 Noon closure ever changes?

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

I’ve killed a few afternoon birds in states where it’s legal. I think if a gobbler has made it to the last week if someone can’t get him before noon he’s earned his chance to survive. I also don’t think I’ve ever had  NY tag left for the last week so it probably wouldn’t affect me either way.

Posted (edited)

Turkey numbers are down in most areas. Way down in our area from what they were years ago.

Keep regs the way they are. Sunrise to 12 is plenty enough time to kill a gobbler in spring. Let the hens nest in the afternoons.

And one bird in spring and one in fall would be fine with me. 

Edited by grampy

2 hours ago, lucky118 said:

I'm of the opinion that it should go to one gobbler. In spring and one gobbler in fall. No hens.

oh now you've started it

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

Posted (edited)

CT Turkey is below. I guess they hate turkeys? 5 Toms per year and dark to dark hours in spring. They also have fall season and even a january turkey season, so it's 9/15 to 1/31 and then spring

Season Dates

• April 24 - May 25    State Land, Private Land, and Landowner

Bag Limit

• 5 bearded birds (on private land, state land, or a combination of both).

Hunting Hours: 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset.

Edited by 2BuckBizCT

4 hours ago, lucky118 said:

I'm of the opinion that it should go to one gobbler. In spring and one gobbler in fall. No hens.

1 Gobbler in Spring, Zero Fall tags. Until Turkey sightings/Population go back up. Say 3-5 years since wet springs can really do some damage.  Even in areas that numbers are good.. Since its not just a NY thing, Its a nationwide situation 

Also, Open bounty on nest predatros like raccoons opposums and skunks, Fishers as well 

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

Never happen in NY.  By the mid to end of May, I'm done, so it wouldn't effect me.  Leave it the way it is. 

I can barely make it to 7:30am if there isn't an active gobbler.  Lol.  

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

i'm with @LET EM GROW birds die off pretty fast. nesting success sucks so I don't know why we ever had a notion to make hens legal to take. nobody traps fur bearers anymore either. everybody who cares about habitat is geared toward deer which can sometimes be not great for turkeys or do nothing at all and have habitat that's a predator utopia.

with my job i'd benefit a great deal from being able to hunt sunrise to sunset or half hr before and after on top of that. too much pressure on birds if that happened though.

13 hours ago, lucky118 said:

I would have to see evidence backing this. I don’t think there’s enough of us killing 2 turkeys to make a difference. Turkey numbers in my area are good, nothing like the early 2000’s but I’m still convinced we had too many at that time. I love hunting them in the Adirondacks where the population is growing but there was zero turkeys there 20 years ago. 

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would have to see evidence backing this. I don’t think there’s enough of us killing 2 turkeys to make a difference. Turkey numbers in my area are good, nothing like the early 2000’s but I’m still convinced we had too many at that time. I love hunting them in the Adirondacks where the population is growing but there was zero turkeys there 20 years ago. 

I Agree.

I mean just take a look at me. Experienced Turkey Hunter here and so far at 0 for 18 Mornings. Just 1 day out of the 18 did,I not hear Gobbling. That was the New Jersey Opener. Yesterday, I heard 1 Gobbler.

But all other days,I have heard up to 8 in a 1/2 Mile area.  Right now the Gobblers are not committing to my Calling- but that is natural especially  with a Tremendous  number of Turkey Hens available to the Gobblers.

Definitely 2 Spring Gobblers in NY is the right number as far as a Max.  

And NY already made a major move to increase Turkey Populations in Zones 3 + 4 in 2015 which many here are probably not aware of.

DEC cut the Fall Turkey Take in those large Turkey Zones from 2 Turkeys to 1 .

The Season was Slashed down from 6 Weeks to 2 Weeks.

And the usual October 1st opening date was pushed back nearly 3 weeks to late October. 

So 10 years later in 2024,I am hearing plenty of Gobbling here in Orange County.Even with the number of Spring Turkey Hunters going up- especially  since 2020 and the Chinese  Virus .

Since we are on the subject- New Jersey needs to put a Max Cap on the Spring Turkey Take. Currently  that State is the Nations leader in Spring Turkey Tags available.  If you know that System inside and out- have the Money- have the Time- willing to hunt more then 1 Zone- hunt both Public and Private- it is easy to buy over 10 Turkey Permits. You can get up to 29. I am going down on Wednesday to buy my 4th one for their "D" segment of 2 weeks of5 days each. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

On 5/10/2024 at 12:03 PM, 2BuckBizCT said:

CT Turkey is below. I guess they hate turkeys? 5 Toms per year and dark to dark hours in spring. They also have fall season and even a january turkey season, so it's 9/15 to 1/31 and then spring

Season Dates

• April 24 - May 25    State Land, Private Land, and Landowner

Bag Limit

• 5 bearded birds (on private land, state land, or a combination of both).

Hunting Hours: 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset.

When we going?