IGNORED

What are you using for turkey ammo?

Posted (edited)

Just curious and don't think this has been posted specifically before. What ammo are you using to hunt turkeys with (gauge, brand, length, shot size, shot/load weight, etc.)? Feel free to include patterns at what distance and choke tube used too.

Last year I finally ran out of my supply of 12ga HeviShot 3" 2oz Hevi-13 #6 shells. I had different ammo at hand and had switched to Winchester Longbeard XR 3", 1-3/4oz, #6. Didn't pattern bad thought with 82 pellets within a 7" outer orange circle at 40 yards. Idk how many on the 10-11" square target but it's significantly more. Benelli Supernova with an Indian Creek ported .665 choke.

I've gotten bitten by the TSS bug and will be patterning Fiocchi Golden Turkey 3", 1-5/8oz, #9 TSS loads though. Not super impressed but until I test TSS the Longbeard XR is what's going with me.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Winchester Longbeard XR has worked well for me over the past 8 years or so.  I have both 12 and 20 gauge turkey guns that shoot 3" #5 and #6 shot well (sorry - no pictures of the patterns) for me and my 3 boys (my daughter isn't old enough to hunt yet).  I have not been able to stomach the cost of TSS - I also prefer to have the turkeys within 35-40 yards or so and the Longbeard XR has worked well for me at those distances.

Using Indian Creek and Carlson choke tubes in the turkey setups.

Posted (edited)

Although my dad loves them (as do scores of others) and has had great luck with them over the yrs, I am not a huge fan of the Longbeard XRs due to the lack of penetration of the shot on a couple of bird that were hit a little low back when they first came out on the market. I would rather spend the extra $ on the the denser stuff. I started using the Hevi-13 back in 2008 and continued up until 2019 I think when I jumped on the Federal TSS train. For the past couple seasons, I've been shooting TSS handloads from a buddy and have had great luck with them. The current prices tag of the Federal TSS is like $85 for 5, the handloads are running $7.50 a shell which is WAY easier to swallow. The price tag is alot cheaper than releasing an arrow on a deer!!!

My two primary turkey guns both are running Indian Creek .665 chokes...

PXL_20240509_115017779[54057].jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Don't remember when Remington first offered the hevi shot, but been using that in my 12g Remington 11/87 NWTF all along. Still have a few rounds left, but switched over to federal TSS 7s few years ago. I think I have a primos jelly head choke, but don't remember what diameter.  

Used a Mossberg 500 20g this season with Remington #9 tss with the factory .584 tube.  Killed one at 30y opening day. 

I picked up some Foxtrot ammo 20g TSS 9's, and am waiting for a .560 Indian creek ported choke to come in before I pattern. 

I know talking about long range shooting of turkeys infuriates some people. And that it’s even banned on one very popular turkey site.

So please don’t judge this is for informational purposes only. These shots were not me but others in my group and verified in my presence. 

12 gauge 3 1/2” Long Beard #4. Shot from a 870 turkey gun camo vent rib barrel no sights. 67 yards dead turkey. Broken neck.

12 gauge 3 1/2” Remington Hevi shot old style #5. Shot from 11-87 camo turkey gun with rifle style sights. 62 yards dead turkey broken neck. 

12 gauge 3” Hevi Shot Magnum blend # 5, 6 and 7 shot. Shot from 870 camo with the sure shot pistol/ thumbhole type grip and a cheap red dot site from Walmart. 72 yards dead turkey broken neck.

Two hunters. One hunter shot number 2&3. Before you ask he is a good caller. He also patterns his guns extensively. 

As far as I know neither ever lost a bird.  

All I can say is these guns with high quality ammo shoot further than most think. 

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Don't remember when Remington first offered the hevi shot, but been using that in my 12g Remington 11/87 NWTF all along. Still have a few rounds left, but switched over to federal TSS 7s few years ago. I think I have a primos jelly head choke, but don't remember what diameter.  

Used a Mossberg 500 20g this season with Remington #9 tss with the factory .584 tube.  Killed one at 30y opening day. 

I picked up some Foxtrot ammo 20g TSS 9's, and am waiting for a .560 Indian creek ported choke to come in before I pattern. 

i started out with a Mossberg 500 20ga pump and shot Rem 3" Wingmaster HD #4 out of the factory full choke. i stuck to 25 yds or less and it worked well. i don't think that stuff is much denser than lead though.

59 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Today,I had my old Bolt/action 16Gauge. Remington Express- #4 Pheasant Load. 

At 0 for 18- does not look like,I will let one fly anytime soon- lol!

#4 lead should work fine if you can get some pellets on target. 0 for 18???

Well I wish I could say I never missed but I did twice. Both times I was very close. Once I lifted my head on a plain bead barrel and once I just missed.

I have killed turkeys with hevi shot, mag blend and regular. Long beard both 12 and 20. And years ago regular # 6 and 4 lead 3”. 

I have a 28 I’m just getting started with. I love turkey guns and patterning.

Federal upland storm 3” #6. I bought a case of it back when I couldn’t find any copper plated 6’s found chokes that liked it for all the guns. All my 20’s will put 100 in a 10” at 30yds with these. I shoot open chokes compared to most, 585-595 constriction is what I like. 

I won’t shoot if they’re over 30yds and kill most of them under 15yds so I want a nice open and even pattern.