IGNORED

Any Beekeepers?

Many of you know I have a small orchard. Love the idea of a hive to help pollinate and generate us some honey. Yet another hobby, but curious if anyone on here has done it or currently does it?

I like the idea this company offers as well https://www.honeyflow.com/

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12

i'd put those fancy things behind a big fence. one bear encounter would ruin that idea and they can't be cheap. i have friends that have had them. my cousin's wife has been part of place that does forever, longer than the current owners who bought out the previous owners. lol i don't know anything about the stuff though. die off from winter and other insects like wasps are a real PITA i guess.

38 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'd put those fancy things behind a big fence. one bear encounter would ruin that idea and they can't be cheap. i have friends that have had them. my cousin's wife has been part of place that does forever, longer than the current owners who bought out the previous owners. lol i don't know anything about the stuff though. die off from winter and other insects like wasps are a real PITA i guess.

no bears in webster... yet haha

I had a local beekeeper reach out to me about putting hives in our field. they are always looking for good spots. There are also quite a few places around here selling the equipment for DIYers and some of those farm stores host training for new beekeepers on how to get started. 

@Belo did you watch any of the Meateaters back 40 series? they buy 40 acres and transform it for hunting and wildlife to thrive then basically give it away and do another one. They had a guy come out and add in some hives.  Seems like a ton of work and maintenance but def interesting. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

FWIW there is a good place in Kingston for bee keeping supplies and good advice if you get down that way. Hudson Valley Bee Supply. Sawkill rd at RT 209. On the Thruway if you have seen Constanzi Crane sign hanging at Exit 19 its in the same yard.

Sodus Feeds and Needs sells beekeeping supplies and I believe that Country Max in Webster has them also. The keepers that approached us said they would "pay" us in honey. They said about 40lbs. a year, and if you've looked at the price of honey lately, that was a pretty good deal for not having to do any of the work. 

My buddy keeps 2 very productive hives at his house in 3S. He tried to keep hives at his property 90 minutes away but the upkeep was too difficult. Seems like an intricate science that offers as much frustration as it does delicious elixir.

Now he "rents" hives to hang out in his fields to populate his pumpkin field. 

Just had about 30 scouts trying to get into my attic. Bombed the attic and turned the furnace up to 90 to keep them out of the chimney. Haven't seen one since. Think they got the message. 

On 5/16/2024 at 3:11 PM, mowin said:

I have a buddy that has several hives.  I was shocked at how much goes into it, and sometimes how involved it gets.  

On 5/16/2024 at 3:25 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

@Belo did you watch any of the Meateaters back 40 series? they buy 40 acres and transform it for hunting and wildlife to thrive then basically give it away and do another one. They had a guy come out and add in some hives.  Seems like a ton of work and maintenance but def interesting. 

I did watch it and really like it. I am not looking for a ton of work, which is why the link I posted is intriguing. 40 pounds of honey a year from just one hive is insane. I already don't know what to do with all my apples and peaches.