IGNORED

Are you concerned about the effects small game hunting has on your deer heard during the winter?

mowin

I've always wondered if I was doing more harm to the deer, and turkeys, when I spooked them while small game hunting in January and February.  Especially during yrs of poor mast crops or little to no agg, bitter cold, or deep snow.  

Bucks are run down from the rut with low fat in reserve and all deer are in a conserving energy mode.  Is one doing more harm than good by rambling around in the woods, especially on small to moderate sized private lands?  

With Pheasant  Hunting,I think the effects will be Small on Deer and Wild Turkey. Both species  know to avoid areas where Pheasant Hunters will be yelling for their Dogs, Pheasant Dogs with Bells. I have 2 different  types for ABBEY. And the Electronic Dog collars that Whistle that that Dog Locks on Point. And Pheasant Hunters with Whistles.  I use " The Storm" for ABBEY- 1 Toot. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

21 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I’m pretty sure the coyotes aren’t giving the deer herds much of a break all winter….

I'm with the same feeling. That said in answer to the original post I have to say it has little to no effect on the deer. 

I think deer only care when you are shooting at them  they can sense it I think . Why I think that its because I have been on gun bow ranges and deer were right there on the property they did not care . They learned they were safe there .

Edited by Phantom

Pheasant Season does run to the end of February.  I will definitely  be out more looking for holdover Pheasants  with ABBEY once it warms up to a good 30 degrees+ 

Not as many Pheasant  Hunters out those 2 Months. Any Deer gravitating  back to the Fields will soon Run out on hearing the Pheasant  Dogs with Bells on their collars.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

3 hours ago, Bolt Action said:

I've wondered about this. Is it possible to shoot goose, squirrel, rabbit, and deer all from the same property? Probably, although I try to save the private land for the deer hunting and pursue everything else on public so as not to scare the deer away..

This is my concern.  I only hunt private.  The biggest two are 200a.  With a lot of fields.  It impossible not to bump deer when small game hunting.  I always feel bad when I do.  It's just something that I've always thought about.