IGNORED

What can I use to open back up this path ?

Nomad

6 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Definitely faster than the hedgetrimmers lol but make sure people and vehicles are far away, rocks FLY like bullets

I bought 2 boxes of the regular strings with it and still have the second box . They are pretty strong and thick. 

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

I bought 2 boxes of the regular strings with it and still have the second box . They are pretty strong and thick. 

I am with you on that, I don't use cables but know people do.  I always use the correct plastic type strings too. 

1 minute ago, Bucksnbows said:

You can mow it every couple of weeks or spray it no more than twice and be done. It all depends on your time. RoundUp is applied with a handheld or backpack sprayer. The mixture is listed on the glyphosate you buy since RoundUp is off patent and there are numerous manufacturers these days. It is mixed with water and I add an oil to help it better adhere to the vegetation. Just don’t breathe in the spray. I wear a dual N95 mask when applying it and keep any wind at my back. 

Last brush hog kept it open many years , and I weed whack my range across the st just once a year early summer . The trail would grow a bit through spring and summer then once fall it it would die off or lay down , now it’s reached the point that doesn’t occur .

the farm is 3000 acres , I’m sure the farmer could set me up spraying if he’s ok with it .I hinted to him I need to open it up, but couldn’t come right out and say “ hey could you take a breather from farming and drive some equipment a couple miles and mow this ?”

I have a Stihl Kombi system which allows you to change out several attachments for nearly any outdoor task you need to do.   I have a pole saw, weed trimmer, weed trimmer with steel blade, rototiller, and angled hedge trimmer.  It’s a heavy unit that takes no prisoners, but it’s a bear to operate any longer than an hour or two.  
I’d go there in spring or early summer and trim down everything before it gets too big or woody, then hit it all with gly mixture then, and again in early September.  Your trails will be plenty clear.

F074C046-6332-44B8-9806-A4507717DFED.jpeg.399307d8b1bbb60e4ae7b921053f3f38.jpeg6DE377EA-6FBB-4D1D-AD3F-021C7F3E720B.jpeg.e7c314303320a0a921297153ecb0ced6.jpeg

Edited by Otto

2 hours ago, Otto said:

I have a Stihl Kombi system which allows you to change out several attachments for nearly any outdoor task you need to do.   I have a pole saw, weed trimmer, weed trimmer with steel blade, rototiller, and angled hedge trimmer.  It’s a heavy unit that takes no prisoners, but it’s a bear to operate any longer than an hour or two.  
I’d go there in spring or early summer and trim down everything before it gets too big or woody, then hit it all with gly mixture then, and again in early September.  Your trails will be plenty clear.

F074C046-6332-44B8-9806-A4507717DFED.jpeg.399307d8b1bbb60e4ae7b921053f3f38.jpeg6DE377EA-6FBB-4D1D-AD3F-021C7F3E720B.jpeg.e7c314303320a0a921297153ecb0ced6.jpeg

I have one too, truly an amazing tool.  Not cheap but incredibly versatile and powerful.  :up:

Various rental places will rent you a walk behind brush mower. I rent one for over the weekend, costs me about $120. I usually get a Billygoat or Toro. Some places have DR mowers. I load them onto my p/u truck with a ramp. Get some of the guys on my lease to help, then do some on on my own properties myself. I think it is more cost effective than owning one.

200 yards is a fair chunk to mow with a forest clearing saw. I have a Husqvarna, and this past fall used it to open up an overgrown trail between fields of ~50 yards. Ouch.

You shouldn't have to mow it more than once a year to keep it in order. Just do it after most of the weeds have begun to grow, in July. I only mow our walking trails twice a year, and we're on them all the time. The random stuff that comes up, mostly grasses and whatnot, won't impact the deer's use of it at all. I like the idea of renting a machine, if that's all you need to do with it.

1 hour ago, Keith Nehrke said:

200 yards is a fair chunk to mow with a forest clearing saw. I have a Husqvarna, and this past fall used it to open up an overgrown trail between fields of ~50 yards. Ouch.

You shouldn't have to mow it more than once a year to keep it in order. Just do it after most of the weeds have begun to grow, in July. I only mow our walking trails twice a year, and we're on them all the time. The random stuff that comes up, mostly grasses and whatnot, won't impact the deer's use of it at all. I like the idea of renting a machine, if that's all you need to do with it.

My range is about 90 yards by 15 feet , I do that with my weed whacker in 30-40  minutes , but those weeds are only knee to mid thigh and fairly soft . This is a bit past that though .

Crossing 1/2 mile of crop fields limits what is crossing them and when , which as I said in the OP, limited when and how often my friend could do it , back when he did .

Yes sir!  That thing will do some WORK!  Good stuff!  Amazing how much tools save our backs! Excellent! :up:

Not sure the exact model you have there but if it's a Kombi unit, you can get a brush cutter head for it too for any brush (like up to 3-4"+) you want to clear.  Really dangerous head, so make sure you're wearing the right gear, but incredibly effective at clearing brush! :up:

It’s the Kombi , $$ but it did the job ,and Im Planning on more work for it . The pics don’t do it justice, some only the bottom of the pic is cleared as well . Ill hit that area again after summers growth .

I don’t walk that trail in season unless someone needs help with a deer, it’s quite a shortcut . Off season it really saves time moving some stands .

The deer used to use it to get to a bean field , I think once it got over grown they just stayed in the thicket as the trail was just as thick now .