IGNORED

Before everyone had cellphones

I still have a set of walkies for using up in the Dacks if me and a buddy or two go.  But I sure love being able to text to someone I'm hunting with.

Edited by Robhuntandfish

"it's pointless for humans to paint scenes of nature when they can go outside and stand in it"- Ron Swanson

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I still have a set of walkies for using up in the Dacks if me and a buddy or two go.  But I sure love being able to text to someone I'm hunting with.

When I started out we used walkies.was a big help hearing the guys around us talking too cause we knew when they were getting ready for a drive

We used the walkie talkies in bow but for the hunt club it was required to have your handheld CB on the club channel on weekend days when the dogs were running. Each club had their own channel. When you heard the dogs coming and the play by play on the CB you could feel your heartbeat going up. The worst was having to say you missed because everyone heard you shoot. That was not a fun experience. 

We used to set communication times at the top of the hour for the walkie talkies and we’d have to ensure the watches were synced on walk in. CBs were on low the whole time.

I feel old just talking about this subject LOL .  In the late 80's we started using these walkie talkies. They are the Motorola Talkabout Distance . It claimed up to 5 miles reception , but I know it was way more than that. hunting up in northern Maine I was talking to one of our guys that was 9 miles from me. Reception was clear as a bell .  I believe a year or 2 after we bought these the FCC banned them from being sold to the public . They were too good.  What got them banned was there were 10 channels on the dial . Each channel had 24 different frequencies . You could open the unit and select a frequency on a certain channel . Ours was channel 4 frequency 22  . This kept our communications private . We would turn them on at 12  or when you heard a shot from one of the guys . It saved on lots of long drags and getting help tracking .  We were miles apart . Even today there are many places up there that we dont have cell service , but I know these WT's would of easily connected .  After using them for 15 years , we gave in to cell phones because of the size of the unit

Com.JPG

Yup we’re all dating ourselves but they worked !!! I still have a couple and was considering using them this coming year because  our cell service sux up where we are at in the southern danks. We started with units that were very large and wound you with the Motorola Talkouts  and Midland . Brings some gooD memories back as you always had that one guy that wouldn’t shut the F Up lol . 😂 and probably saw less game because of them . 

10 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

I feel old just talking about this subject LOL .  In the late 80's we started using these walkie talkies. They are the Motorola Talkabout Distance . It claimed up to 5 miles reception , but I know it was way more than that. hunting up in northern Maine I was talking to one of our guys that was 9 miles from me. Reception was clear as a bell .  I believe a year or 2 after we bought these the FCC banned them from being sold to the public . They were too good.  What got them banned was there were 10 channels on the dial . Each channel had 24 different frequencies . You could open the unit and select a frequency on a certain channel . Ours was channel 4 frequency 22  . This kept our communications private . We would turn them on at 12  or when you heard a shot from one of the guys . It saved on lots of long drags and getting help tracking .  We were miles apart . Even today there are many places up there that we dont have cell service , but I know these WT's would of easily connected .  After using them for 15 years , we gave in to cell phones because of the size of the unit

Com.JPG

We had the same ones, but black. Purchased them from Pittsfield communication's.  They were expensive compared to the Midlands you could purchase from just about any store, but worked very well.  When cell phone became the norm, I sold them for darn close to what we pd. 

1 hour ago, mowin said:

We had the same ones, but black. Purchased them from Pittsfield communication's.  They were expensive compared to the Midlands you could purchase from just about any store, but worked very well.  When cell phone became the norm, I sold them for darn close to what we pd. 

And they STILL are selling for quite a bit for a 30 year old unit. I see them now  going for between $100 and $200 each depending on condition and what accessories come with it . We bought 7 of them from a communications store , and had them set up for that privacy setting .  I believe with the bulk purchase discount we paid $180 for each over 30 years ago . Even today the only  unit better than these is the Garmin InReach GPS with texting capability that go for 4-6 hundred a unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125159846918?epid=1311755031&hash=item1d241bb406:g:y8IAAOSwK0tiEqmy&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsA%2FB5nJVqcBjE4DkIfqnuTxKbc9b%2F%2FtLG9tXse1I4EXT64fVFBfCBvrIdRT7kYGwy7D%2BUSDPr7y5SISt63mqdO4Tdh50ftAzoTz3mVWTs798iZkDtBgc1ShCTDlJQCzq85QC%2F1U3HJDZe%2BIuQxkrYJ2phBbexFkeeZvAzm1IUty0R%2B1w1XzMtCoEn1LcM5AG4O3wae1b9CfcOSEMP9KB3Ki1SbxGyZdqyNovLlCwH2gi|tkp%3ABk9SR7jdyaiuYQ

Edited by SportsmanNH